i30 Owners Club

2019 Hyundai i30 Diesel oil filter location??

DERVi30 · 31 · 7777

Offline DERVi30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi to everyone at the i30 forum,
I hope everyone is keeping well!!

Ok, my partner sold her trusty 2014 i30 Diesel and replaced it with a 2019 i30 Diesel (she does a lot of miles in the car with her job).

I used to service the old i30 every 10k without fail and it was a great car!! Moving on to her new 2019 i30, I've noticed Hyundai have revised the 1.6 diesel engine and it looks to have been fitted with cam belt opposed to a timing chain fitted in the old model.
Now I know the car is under warranty etc and service intervals are 20k or 2 years which ever occurs first, but I would like to carry out a "sneaky" oil and filter change at 10k and send the car in for service at 20k intervals (I don't agree with 20k oil changes!!).

The car in question is coming up for 10k and I noticed the oil filter housing is not at the top of the engine anymore like the old 1.6 crdi engine. Can anyone tell me where the oil filter is now located, I'm guessing it's been moved somewhere at the bottom of the engine??

I think the MK3 i30 came out in 2017, so hopefully someone could guide me where to find the oil filter (engine cover has not been removed yet underneath the  car to search).

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read my post and hopefully point me in the right direction.
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDI 2014

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I believe the oil filter is now under the engine. Instead of a paper cartridge type as used on the D4FB engine, it's now a screw-on metal cased type. Looking on the Hyundai UK web-site, there are images of the engine, and right at the bottom I can see something blue poking out, which I think is the oil filter. On YouTube there are videos of folk doing oil changes on petrol engines and the filter on those screws in from underneath.

I think the engine still has a chain-driven cam. The image of the engine on the website doesn't show anything that looks like a timing belt cover, and on the partsouq web-site - which has exploded views of engine parts - it shows a timing chain.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I believe the oil filter is now under the engine. Instead of a paper cartridge type as used on the D4FB engine, it's now a screw-on metal cased type. Looking on the Hyundai UK web-site, there are images of the engine, and right at the bottom I can see something blue poking out, which I think is the oil filter. On YouTube there are videos of folk doing oil changes on petrol engines and the filter on those screws in from underneath.

I think the engine still has a chain-driven cam. The image of the engine on the website doesn't show anything that looks like a timing belt cover, and on the partsouq web-site - which has exploded views of engine parts - it shows a timing chain.

I reckon Brendan is right about the timing chain. Can't see any good reason for changing a proven design (would be a backwards step)  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline DERVi30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi,
Thank you  for your replies!!
I had a feeling the oil filter may have changed to a screw on metal filter positioned at the bottom of the engine.

Interesting to find out the revised CRDI engine still has a timing chain. The reason I thought the new engine has a timing belt now is, there is a plastic cover fitted from the top to bottom  on the side of the engine. Usually indicates a timing belt of some sort is fitted as a timing chain cover would be made of metal.

Thank you again for the replies, much appreciated!!

Offline DERVi30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Offline DERVi30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Offline DERVi30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Offline DERVi30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
A few uploaded photo's of the plastic cover fitted on the pulley side of the engine.
Our old 2014 i30 CRDI had an aluminium timing chain cover on the side of the engine.
The new i30 is a 69 registration (registered in October 2019).

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I've had a look at the online catalogues of Gates, Dayco, and Continental, and none of them list a cambelt for the i30 diesel.
  • i30 CRD

Offline DERVi30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
Just to let you know, the 2019 1.6 CRDI engine fitted in my partners i30 does have a cam belt fitted. Engine code: D4FE.
Hence why there is a plastic cover fitted on the front of the engine (pulley side).

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Hmm this needs an update with the U3

:link: Hyundai U engine - Wikipedia

looks like it uses adblue?

"The newly developed 1.6 CRDi U3 engine is the latest Euro 6d TEMP compliant unit, with a state of the art exhaust gas purification system using AdBlue selective catalyst reduction (SCR) alongside lean NOx (LNT) and existing diesel particulate filter (DPF), to deliver CO2 as low as 111g/km minimise N2 emissions as well as offering optimised fuel consumption."
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 13:02:31 by Lorian »

Offline DERVi30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Offline DERVi30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Yes, our i30 does use AD Blue.

The engine is a totally new design compared to the old chain driven CRDI.

Only time will tell if the new CRDI is as reliable as its predecessor engine.

On a motorway run, it averages 70 mpg.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
They suggest the power from the turbo has been spread across the rev range more than the old one - what's it like to drive, feel any different, as much fun?

Offline DERVi30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
It's my partners car so I don't get to drive it very often.
When I do drive the new i30, I would say it feels slightly more refined, but that is probably due to the new interior design which I really like.
Power wise, I wouldn't say there is a lot of difference between the two diesel engines, the new engine probably being robbed of extra power with the ad blue, dpf and other emission related fitments to keep pollutants to the bare minimum.
But I do miss the reverse parking camera behind the rear badge on the old model as it stops the camera lense becoming dirty, especially in the winter time.
Nice car to drive though, probably last of the diesel models before they all become powered by Duracell !!

Offline DERVi30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Ok, I purchased a new oil filter direct from Hyundai for the eye watering cost of £18!! It is a paper cartridge element as fitted to the old diesel engine. It is located underneath now next to the sump and it has a plastic screw in the centre of the housing so you can drain the oil out first. But, it no longer has the moulded hex nut fitted on the plastic housing. Instead you need to purchase a filter housing removal cup tool.
Question is, where can I purchase one from?? I have contacted various companies but all came back negative.

The filter housing is made by Mahle with the numbers SW81 PA66GF35 stamped on it.

Any ideas guys??

I'm missing the old diesel i30 engine already!!

Offline Mikasveiga

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester
with a socket key 27 mm, manages to remove the oil filter cap and then change easily :goodjob2:
  • Hyundai i30 CRDI 113hp 2011

Offline DERVi30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
As I said in my previous post, there's no hex nut on the latest i30 diesel oil filter housing, special tool required.
I would upload a photo, but unfortunately it wont send at the moment.

I have emailed Mahle filters to find out the part number for the oil filter removal tool.

Offline DERVi30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi,
Hope everyone is keeping well in these crazy times!!

Sorry to bring up an old post of mine, but I wanted to give you an update on the oil filter removal tool, or lack of!!!

After emailing MAHLE  filters who designed the oil filter housing, I was told in the email that the oil filter removal tool can not be purchased and is only available to Hyundai!!! I told the customer service agent at MAHLE that this is ridiculous, especially for a basic service item to which he agreed, but there was nothing he could do!!

I have thought of removing the oil filter housing with a strap wrench, but I feel uncomfortable with that as it's made of plastic, especially tightening it back up (torque 35NM).

I phoned Hyundai today to get a price for an oil change only........£213!!!! That is totally insane, 20,000 mile service I could understand, but 10,000 for just an oil change is a total  rip off!!!

Has anyone changed the oil filter on the latest Diesel engine yet??

Bring back the chain driven Diesel engine with the oil filter on top of the engine, fitted with a molded 27mm hex nut!!
I'm falling out of love with this new Diesel engine already!!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Hi,
Hope everyone is keeping well in these crazy times!!

Sorry to bring up an old post of mine, but I wanted to give you an update on the oil filter removal tool, or lack of!!!

After emailing MAHLE  filters who designed the oil filter housing, I was told in the email that the oil filter removal tool can not be purchased and is only available to Hyundai!!! I told the customer service agent at MAHLE that this is ridiculous, especially for a basic service item to which he agreed, but there was nothing he could do!!

I have thought of removing the oil filter housing with a strap wrench, but I feel uncomfortable with that as it's made of plastic, especially tightening it back up (torque 35NM).

I phoned Hyundai today to get a price for an oil change only........£213!!!! That is totally insane, 20,000 mile service I could understand, but 10,000 for just an oil change is a total  rip off!!!

Has anyone changed the oil filter on the latest Diesel engine yet??

Bring back the chain driven Diesel engine with the oil filter on top of the engine, fitted with a molded 27mm hex nut!!
I'm falling out of love with this new Diesel engine already!!
Base Essential service is just oil and filter change plus health check etc and is £99.

Check out the hy uk web site under service

Here is a garage page

https://www.holdcroft.com/hyundai/offers/esensetials-servicing/9474/offerdetail.aspx
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 17:41:05 by eye30 »
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline sdodo

• 2nd Gear

• it Italy
Mahle plastic cover on my U3 CRDI engine 2019, where the oil filter is placed (I suppose) and the screw for drain the oil is located too. :head_butt:
but maybe, this is just the filter,  the oil is drained out through the oil sensor lever 45743D ??

immagini x

« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 07:41:45 by sdodo »
  • 2019 PD (MkIII), 1.6crdi 115HP, Auto

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Cheeky buggers! I assume that to drain the oil out means undoing the screw cap in the middle, which has a slot for a plain screwdriver, and then you need the special tool to undo the cover to replace the filter?

The cap looks like it has 12 flats around the outer edge, what you need is a friend with a 3D printer to fabricate a tool to remove it. I would be intensely annoyed to buy a car and find that I couldn't change the oil myself.

I think the PA66 GF35 number is for recycling information. PA is for Polyamide (nylon) 66, and I think the GF means it's glass filled (35%?). It's not a Mahle part number, just a standard material code for glass-filled nylon. I suspect Mahle will make it difficult for anyone to get any information on this cap, the part number is probably stamped on the inside.

I searched for 'mahle filter cap removal tool' and there does appear to be lots of sockets available for removing metal-can oil filters. I wonder if the pattern of the flutes in the cap matches an existing oil filter? Would be nice to get hold of the dimensions for that cap.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 23:14:38 by BrendanP »
  • i30 CRD

Offline sdodo

• 2nd Gear

• it Italy
Hi everyone,
Just to let you know, the 2019 1.6 CRDI engine fitted in my partners i30 does have a cam belt fitted. Engine code: D4FE.
Hence why there is a plastic cover fitted on the front of the engine (pulley side).
they call it the "New U engine"
My Hyundai dealer says the cam belt on U3 CRDI engine must be replaced at 240.000 km  :Shocked:
see Kia CEED catalog parts with the same engine...
:link: CAMSHAFT & VALVE | Ceed Ceed Passenger | Kia | Genuine Parts Catalogs | PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 09:06:20 by sdodo »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi everyone,
the call it the "New U engine"
My Hyundai dealer says the cam belt on U3 CRDI engine must be replaced at 240.000 km  :Shocked:
:link: CAMSHAFT & VALVE | Ceed Ceed Passenger | Kia | Genuine Parts Catalogs | PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World

Seems a backward step? I'd love to know their reasoning?

I guess it could be:-

Cost related?
Reliability related? (unlikely)
Adjustability?
Ease of repair?
Fuel Efficiency?

Also be nice to know if both the Korea and Czech factories have swapped to this configuration or only say the Euro factory.

Could even be a supplier issue maybe?

:undecided:

Offline sdodo

• 2nd Gear

• it Italy
Hi everyone,
the call it the "New U engine"

Seems a backward step? I'd love to know their reasoning?

I guess it could be:-

Cost related?
Reliability related? (unlikely)
Adjustability?
Ease of repair?
Fuel Efficiency?

Also be nice to know if both the Korea and Czech factories have swapped to this configuration or only say the Euro factory.

Could even be a supplier issue maybe?

:undecided:

i think the belt because of:
less weight
noise reduction
less frictions (maybe)
no needs for any kind of lubrification or similar

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Oh ok, so maybe not a backward step..  :undecided:

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
240,000km seems an awfully long time for a cam belt to last, considering there are other components like the tensioner and idler pulleys that will wear out as well. After all, the cost of the actual belt is peanuts compared to the labour costs of replacing it.
  • i30 CRD

Offline sdodo

• 2nd Gear

• it Italy
240,000km seems an awfully long time for a cam belt to last, considering there are other components like the tensioner and idler pulleys that will wear out as well. After all, the cost of the actual belt is peanuts compared to the labour costs of replacing it.

yes, 240.000km seems to much, never heard that belts last so long.  :crazy1: but this is what they say to me. I hope this is a new generation belt, with kevlar fibers or something like this high tech,,, :head_knock:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal