i30 Owners Club

Subwoofer install - Amp hookup

Thumper · 20 · 10580

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Ok, after being busy for, like ages, I decided to upload the pictures of how I installed the sub and tapped into the speaker lines.

First of all, this is a little different, and the inside of my little beast is rather dirty. (Yes, I live out in the bush and haven't had time to clean the inside, yet)

First pic, remove the plastic trim from the drivers side lower panel. (Pull directly up. Easy)

Second picture, remove the plastic panel rear drivers side passenger side lower panel. (Again, pull directly up. Easy)

Next, pull the plastic liner that covers the pillar behind the drivers seat belt. (Pulls directly towards the inside of the vehicle)

WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING

ANYTHING that has bright YELLOW tape wrapped around it, or is a bright YELLOW electrical cable. DO NOT touch or cut! These are for the SRS system (Air bag sensors and seat belt pre-tensioners)

Ok, with the warning out of the way, find the twisted pair of electrical cables. (On the diesel, drivers side, rear door they will be colour coded red and blue. Red being +, blue being -)

I tapped into it with simple crimp terminals.

Picture of the speaker in the rear door (For those who are interested)

Next picture shows the strapping I used for securing the 12" sub box into the back of the i30, without needing to drill, cut or modify anything. (Also allows for a quick, easy and undetectable removal.) Cost $4.99

12" Kenwood sub and box.

Tie down points used. (Two child seat anchorage points were used.)

Drivers side secured.

Passenger side secured. (Note ratchet for tightening strap and removing)

Overview of the securing strap and sub.

The strap actually works very well. Once in, I can not move the sub, no matter what until I release the ratchet.

Next, just install an amp the normal way and use a high level to low level converter (Speaker to line level converter) The amp I used (Pioneer) monoblock already has line level AND speaker inputs.

Enjoy.   :D

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Excellent! :clapping hands smilie:

Are you keeping the stock speakers?

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
thanks for the info  ;)
id sure like one woofer.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Thumper ..thanks for the pix.. some of us are more patient than others ...aren't we Nick  :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
Finally !!!  :D Tested and everything works properly. Now I just have to get a amp for my 350W lil Sub-woofer :)

Offline d33n

• 1st Gear
which part of the firewall do you guys 'poke' to run the power wire from the battery to your amp?

Offline peterlee

• 1st Gear

• sg Singapore
      Singapore
Thanks for sharing. However, I would like to advise that a high wattage amps should be preferably hooked directly to the battery with a rated fuse at a distance less than 6" from the battery. This will better protect your car electrical circuits and equipments.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Woofer pix off Korean i30 site

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Those Koreans are quite simply... barking mad
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

ouri30
I bet they get great sound - BUT where would I put my GOLF CLUBS :ugeek:  :lol:

Bob

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT

Offline peterlee

• 1st Gear

• sg Singapore
      Singapore
Quote from: "Thumper"
How do you get the spare wheel out?  :shock:

I think the spare wheel should be taken out already. The spare wheel well is used by the subwoofer.

Offline toxxic

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I have the exact same sub in my i30, and i must say compared to the older kenwood 12" 1000w I am not as impressed, still decent though.

I used some velcro to hold my sub down, just get the "hard" side and stick it over on itself, it sticks perfectly to the floor and felt on the sub.

Offline toxxic

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Quote from: "d33n"
which part of the firewall do you guys 'poke' to run the power wire from the battery to your amp?

I didnt go through the firewall, I went through the passenger front quarter, if you pull the indicator out you can get a coathanger up through the gap near the battery, and there is a grommet in the passenger footwell (l/h side) to you can get through.

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hey my subs and amps will be giong in soon!!! and also wouldnt u rather put a 7 inch screen with a 6 disc cd stacker behind? be easier then wouldnt it?

cheers ash

Offline DTY01

• 2nd Gear
Nice install so far. Did you ever consider that the SR model is supposed to have high output amplifided speakers and that if they have that then there must be some wiring already in the car to tap into. Cause if they have amplified speakers that means there should be somewhere in the loom that has power and speaker inputs(hopefully RCA's) and outputs?? I have been trying to get a hold of a workshop manual to  find out where but maybe someone here can do better than me...

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
Hi, ive just finished putting my 2 amps and 2 subs in my car this weekend just gone. the brown block behind the head unit is the speakers, found out the hard way... he he... but yeah i have a 600 watt 4 channel amp running the speakers and a 800 watt running my 2 1200 watt subs drains alot of power away from the battery though, its easy to install but u got to know what your doing and i didnt and i took my time. i started at 9.30 in the morning and finished 10 at nite and if i needed anything i had to borrow my friends holden calais... grr... but all it good now im happy with it im turning heads now!

cheers
ash

Offline chylld

• 2nd Gear
Quote from: d33n

I didnt go through the firewall, I went through the passenger front quarter, if you pull the indicator out you can get a coathanger up through the gap near the battery, and there is a grommet in the passenger footwell (l/h side) to you can get through.

you don't happen to have any pics of this do you? having some difficulty trying to follow by words alone...

Offline Th0e

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway
      Norway
Yeah, some more detailed explenation or some pictures would help alot :) thx for the Audio signal pictures :D
But still, im not sure where to go with the powercable..

Offline KKOM

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Heraklion
Goodmorning,
I hope someone can help me...
So let's say I eant to hookup an amp. for sub and for he signal I use the HI-PASS way (by "stealling" signal from 1 of fitted speakers) and I am OK from signal then I take power from the battery all way back to the amp.
But what about the remote opening cable?....The factory unit did has tha way to connect?...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal