i30 Owners Club

Clutch Pedal / free play adjustment.

tw2005 · 20 · 11627

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Ok, who knows what the go is with the manual i30 clutch adjustments?

I'm working on a CRDi and the pedal has to be buried into the firewall and grabs  as soon as I lift.

It's pretty much to th epoint it's noit diengaging fully, difficult gear changes and reverse gear grind.

Hydraulic system and last time I touched a clutch the adjustment was on a push rod to the pedal,
This has nothing like hat and I'm reading self-adjusting clutch cover?

Does this mean there is no adjustment possible? Clutch is not slipping and appears to be ok.

any tips ?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I thought this was all done with cable adjuster under the armrest console..
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I thought this was all done with cable adjuster under the armrest console..

How many drinks have you had today? That's the Handbrake

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Don't blame the Taylors Shiraz, Langhorne Creek Shiraz, Kellermeister Sable or the Chandon bubbly, your honour! :drinks:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Don't blame the Taylors Shiraz, Langhorne Creek Shiraz, Kellermeister Sable or the Chandon bubbly, your honour! :drinks:
H
long day ahead, cricket is going well. Can't say the same for my clutch. Whatever I've messed with, it's worse. can't select a gear. I can tell it's not depressing the diaphram all the way.

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Can't say the same for my clutch.
I'm surprised this isn't covered as a basic maintenance check somewhere. :confused:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Can't say the same for my clutch.
I'm surprised this isn't covered as a basic maintenance check somewhere. :confused:
I'm looking but can't make sense of anything. Not  the best manual. May have to look at slave or master replacement to see what the baseline settings are.. :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Tag or message NZ and/or Cruiserfied ( although Tim has been too busy to come on lately)  :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Here's a clue I've read about: backstop bolt!

It still means you're going to have to go in deep enough as you would for a changeover, I magine.

sounds like the backstop bolt and the pushrod on the clutch pedal itself. the bolt stops how far back the clutch can let off, pushrod just actuates the master and slave cylinders which hit the pressure plate and disengage the clutch when you hit the pedal and want to shift.

adjusting these isn't as simple as it sounds. ok, its simple to do but to get the adjustment correct isn't always easy.

the hardware is all attached to the clutch pedal itself.

a word of caution: if the pedal is allowed to back off too far, pressure will be released off the clutch bearing. if that happens, it can walk on the surface of the pressure plate a little bit. that will cause damage to the bearing AND the pressure plate. you'll get a groove worn in the fingers and then you're replacing the entire clutch assembly...been there a few times. i bought the car used and some ass adjusted it so that it was far too loose. i've gone through 3 bearings and 2 clutches this way before i realized what was going on.

if the pedal can't back off far enough, the clutch will not fully engage and you'll get clutch slip which will also wear it out pretty fast.

moral of the story is don't adjust until you need to (its factory preset) and if you must the adjustment must be not too tight and not too loose.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Here's a clue I've read about: backstop bolt!

It still means you're going to have to go in deep enough as you would for a changeover, I magine.

sounds like the backstop bolt and the pushrod on the clutch pedal itself. the bolt stops how far back the clutch can let off, pushrod just actuates the master and slave cylinders which hit the pressure plate and disengage the clutch when you hit the pedal and want to shift.

adjusting these isn't as simple as it sounds. ok, its simple to do but to get the adjustment correct isn't always easy.

the hardware is all attached to the clutch pedal itself.

a word of caution: if the pedal is allowed to back off too far, pressure will be released off the clutch bearing. if that happens, it can walk on the surface of the pressure plate a little bit. that will cause damage to the bearing AND the pressure plate. you'll get a groove worn in the fingers and then you're replacing the entire clutch assembly...been there a few times. i bought the car used and some ass adjusted it so that it was far too loose. i've gone through 3 bearings and 2 clutches this way before i realized what was going on.

if the pedal can't back off far enough, the clutch will not fully engage and you'll get clutch slip which will also wear it out pretty fast.

moral of the story is don't adjust until you need to (its factory preset) and if you must the adjustment must be not too tight and not too loose.
Oh shit. I think I'm in poo. I disconnected the pushrod from the pedal expecting it to be a threaded adjustment.

Good time to stick to Autos I feel :rofl:

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Maybe you can add a 'longer' pedal now. :whistler: :lol:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I had the understanding it's selfadjusting.. :question:

Mine's now at 285,000 km and the clutch still engage just above the floor mats.. this haven't changed in the last 160,000 km where I've had the car, and I do all servicing myself so I know for sure it haven't been adjusted..  :mrgreen:

IIRC there have been mentioned similar in here and they would solve it buy changing the slave cylinder..  :question:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I had the understanding it's selfadjusting.. :question:

Mine's now at 285,000 km and the clutch still engage just above the floor mats.. this haven't changed in the last 160,000 km where I've had the car, and I do all servicing myself so I know for sure it haven't been adjusted..  :mrgreen:

IIRC there have been mentioned similar in here and they would solve it buy changing the slave cylinder..  :question:

Cheers Asterix. So basically I've messed with something that is normal and unable to be changed. Yes it grabs not far off the deck, would prefer about an inch higher. I think it's as it was I jumped in it again and buried the pedal and I can select gears. Got the seat out doing other stuff. Just finished pulling the column for the steering coupler to find it was perfect. Swapped over a clock spring and added my old leather wheel so have audio button now in the wheel. Next stop will be the front arms then to the rear for some TLC

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Do you have mats down?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Do you have mats down?
? Straight over my Head sorry :undecided:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Would love if there was an easier way to inspect that EPS bushing, I suspect a worn bushing in mine... :undecided:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I think eye30 was referring to the possibility the mat is interfering with your pedal travel.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I think eye30 was referring to the possibility the mat is interfering with your pedal travel.
Hmm, good point. Yes there's mats but I don't think so but i'm about to put genuine ones in so I'll kep an eye on it :goodjob2:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Do you have mats down?
? Straight over my Head sorry :undecided:
Yes.

Thick mats = reduced clearance
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline kamikazeeugen

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
Hi! My car had the same issue from the day i took-it, at 36000k km. The problem is that the clutch master cylinder push rod is from plastic. The plastic wears out and is damaging the pedal 12mm pin creating around 1mm free play in plus from the original. So, what i did, I took the plastic push rod out, increased the diameter of the hole to fit the smallest 12mm inner diameter roller bearing i could find. Now, the clutch bites at aprox 1cm from the stop. No more problems since. 110k km now.
All the best!
Eugen
  • 2013 I30 CW 1.6 crdi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal