i30 Owners Club

Car even slower after clutch replacement.

Guest · 30 · 9434

wildviktor
Hyundai i30 2008
- Petrol
- 1.6l 92kW 122 (126?) HP
- 5 Gear manual 
- 5 Door 

Ok so I bought the car about two months ago. No issues at all a bit on the slow side with 120+ HP it was still slower than my Opel Astra (101 HP) and friends Ford Focus (106 HP) both petrol. But that did not really bother me since i'm mostly driving around town with maybe once a month on the highway. 

Anyhow  a week or two back  there was an odd noise coming from the engine when I pressed down the clutch kinda like grinding two metal plates against eachother. Hyundai official service told me it was the pushing disc that was worn out (not sure if that's how it's translated) anyhow the clutch, fw and disc.. whole kit had to be replaced total cost would have been 300 EUR. They were suprised clutch when out especially on the petrol version I was told I'm second person only in 5 years to have a clutch problem on the pertol variant. Anyhow they serviced my car for 0 EUR under an expired warranty : )) which was neat. 

Anyhow I cam in late to pickup the car due to work. Driving it home I noticed it was amazingly slower in first gear starting from 0 the car is just slow, 2 and 3rd gear are pathetic as well. For instance in second gear I floor the gas peddal and the car accelerates as if it's a (50HP) engine not (122-126HP).

I also tried 3rd gear for instance i'll be driving 40km/h i will floor the gas peddal and it will accelerate to 60kmh as if I was driving in 5th.   

I also tried driving 65km/h in 3rd gear to get the revs up than floor it and it's just hopeless it does accelerate but so amazingly slow.  Yesterday I went for a roadtrip in the alps pretty streep roads I had to drive in first and second gear and car was barely climing it was barelly keeping up 40km/h in second gear going up hill. A freaking 2002 petrol Opel Corsa went up easier and it loaded this. 

Also top speed prior to the service car reached 190-200km/h with no problem than it sluggishly went up to 220km/h. Now i reached 170-180 and barelly made it to 200km/h. 

I connected a general ODB2 reader (ELM237) to check for trouble codes and there are two duplicate codes read. 2x P0016 Crankshaft Position Camshaft Positon Correlation Bank 1 Sensor A.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi and

:wttc:

Back to the dealer and let them sort it out. Sound like they have forgotten to connect those plugs or they have damaged some wires when assembling.

Let them deal with it asap to ensure no further damage is done.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Dealer to sort as i woukd say related to clutch replacement and service.

Does the car rev high or does it fail to get past 3000?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

wildviktor
No indication of slipping, revs normal it's just the acceleration is crap. Goes well past 3000 guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:welc1

Great that it was covered by warranty and also that you got error codes. Yes, all you can do is tactfully approach the dealer and explain the problem and codes. I'd leave out the bit about flooring it and testing the tops speed though...  :whistler:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 21:36:54 by Dazzler »
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

wildviktor
Ok so its not the gearbox or the clutch it's the engine. They opened up the engine and found out the chain skipped one tooth whatever that means which means a 600 EUR service to replace the chain and all the associated parts.

With no guarantee on how the car will perform I will be selling it for -600 EUR price.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Thought only the 2l had chain?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ok so its not the gearbox or the clutch it's the engine. They opened up the engine and found out the chain skipped one tooth whatever that means which means a 600 EUR service to replace the chain and all the associated parts.

With no guarantee on how the car will perform I will be selling it for -600 EUR price.
Sounds like an odd diagnosis to me. Can't  see how the car would still run and let you drive at almost 200 kph without terrible noises etc! I would get a 2nd opinion before spending that sort of money. I still suspect a sensor or cable not reconnected properly...

wildviktor
Took it to the private repair shop. Same diagnosis same list of materials 440 EUR - no warranty. Repair does not take long but car would have to stay at the shop for about 24h so some mass solidifies.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Thought only the 2l had chain?

The GDS system specifies chain in the 2009 model, so 2008 is the same presumably.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
The 2.0 litre petrol and diesel had timing belts.

All other engines should be chain driven

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Still seems odd to me. After over 8 years involved heavily with i30's I don't recall hearing of a similar situation.  :undecided:

wildviktor
I'm still torn if I should repair it or not and sell it for a loss. It's a pretty light car in terms of weight and the engine delivering 122 HP should run smoother and a bit faster than my Astra with 101 HP.  The hyundai service did not have a same engine i30 but they let me drive the 2.0 petrol i30 and with 105 kW (140 HP) it's somehow still slower than my Astra with (some 40HP less). 

But on the other hand their customer service, the clutch experience (free on expired warranty) is a big +. And apart from this issue the car is pretty decent to drive.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You have had a very rare problem with your motor. It's never been mentioned before on this forum, so why sell. I doubt it will ever happen again. If you want more performance then this probably isn't the car for you.

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
I too would have been checking various sensor plugs but it's now been diagnosed as timing chain by two sources.
Back in the day, cars fitting with a chain, especially an engine with a lot of miles on it, would jump on the sprocket if the engine was accidentally rotated backwards.
Normal rotation has the rubbing block apply tension to the chain until oil pressure brings the hydraulic tensioner into play.
Crank her backwards and the loose chain can jump a tooth or two.
You'd have no hope of proving the workshop did crank her backwards unless you were watching over their shoulders the whole time but it sure sounds extremely suspicious.
  • i-30

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I would get it fixed. If I was offered to buy a car which has several hundred euro issue with price lowered by the cost of the fix, I would not buy it. Get it fixed and then keep it or sell it. Easier to sell working car and youll probably get better price for it.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I had a 2.0 105kw Elantra and that thing flew! Performance was great!

wildviktor
I'm absolutelly torn. On one hand I really do like the car and I'm considering having it serviced on the other hand I'm really concerned about performance. I'm not that demanding regarding performance but when trying to overtake someone I would like little bit of power hence why I bought the 122-127? HP seems noone knows exact number. 

But knowing that 101 HP Astra and 106 HP Focus (both petrol, both 1.6) accelerate faster from cold start or mid drive in low gear than the 2.0l 140+ I'm not very optimistic.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
In your original post you said that the performance didn't bother you because you mostly drive around town.

What changed your mind?

I don't think that Hyundai intended the i30 to be a sporty vehicle - it has adequate performance for most buyers and Hyundai offer a 5 year warranty because of its reliability.

If you really are unhappy with the car you need to swap it, otherwise it will keep niggling you.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Regardless of power... the Astra will die before the Hyundai does!

wildviktor
In your original post you said that the performance didn't bother you because you mostly drive around town.

What changed your mind?

I don't think that Hyundai intended the i30 to be a sporty vehicle - it has adequate performance for most buyers and Hyundai offer a 5 year warranty because of its reliability.

If you really are unhappy with the car you need to swap it, otherwise it will keep niggling you.

I have not changed my mind i'm not after performance I was just hoping for a smoother ride/acceleration from the extra 30 HP, lighter car and smaller wheels : (

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
It all depends on the gearing of course.

wildviktor
Seems I will remain a member of this forum for a while longer.  :D :D :D So at official Hyundai service center I was quoted 560 EUR it was 330 EUR (materials) and 140 EUR (work) without before tax. I asked on our largest automotive forum and people recommended a private Chevrolet/Opel/Kia/Renault/Hyundai service shop they get a 30% disscount on parts and with work included the bill comes out to 250 EUR because it also tax free. 

The warranty they give is only 12 months compared to 3 years on official service.

So I decided to keep my Hyundai i30 : )) here's hoping she will drive better : ))

Next year hopefully I will add an X and a 5.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob:

wildviktor
Conclusion.

Ok I had the car serviced and did not get a chance to drive it until tonight. And I'm happy to say HO LE SHEEEEEEEETTTT this ting flies. Can't even compare to before I was expecting it to drive (post service) something along the line with my Astra or Focus (101, 106 HP) but holy mother of god it's almost equal to my old (136 HP) 2.0HDI 407. From my experience I would describe it as a 100% boost in performance simply lost for words from first to last gear smooth and constant acceleration. 

I tried the old issue from first post: driving 40 km/h in 3rd gear and flooring the gas pedal before the car went nowhere like 4-5s to reach 55-60 km/h now it's almost instant going 40 km/h flooring it and you are at 60 in split second. Bloody amazing. 

I'm super happy about the outcome and glad I had it serviced.  :D :D :D :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy2: :crazy2:

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:whsaid: :happydance:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Excellent result, glad you're happy. Don't get a speeding fine  :exclaim:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal