i30 Owners Club

Glowplugs Checking on 1.6 FD 2010

Offline jonnyplantpot

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hello.
We've got a i30 2010 FD.
It is exhibit the issues of one or more failed glow plugs, intermittent labouring start and white smoke,as discussed here :link: 1.6 CRDI Diesel FD - Replace Glow Plugs?. It's not cold weather, and once the car has been used it has to sit around a while before it will do it again.

So,
I'm embarking on testing the glow plugs & associated fuse. I've already checked the battery is OK, and I'm happy with the process of doing the actual test but I 'd just like check a few things before embarking on ripping the engine bay apart, if someone with experience would be kind enough to answer.

1) In the image, I believe (from reading around) the glow plugs are under the casing I've labeled 'A'. (That is a picture of the engine bay facing towards the front of the car). Is that correct / do I just unclip that cover and take off the power connector?

2) We're also looking to find the 80A fuse, in the engine bay fuse box. As can be seen in the images the fuse box is layed out as described on the label on the fuse box cover, except the bottom row. There is a plate on the  front of the fuse box, with a window,that looks like it contains more fuses. Is the 80A fuse the left hand on of those? If so, to get at that, is just a matter of unscrewing the bolts on the top? (I know this is less likely to be the problem, but I'm just getting my head round it in advance)

3) There are stories of glow plugs breaking etc. Are they really that hard to get out? I've got a decent socket set and a torque wrench, but do I need / is it easier with a specific tool?

(I feel like some of that is slightly stupid questions and this is quiet a simple process really, just feel like I'm on a learning curve with a heavy gradient.)
Thanks, Jon
  • 2016 i30 Tourer S, Diesel 1.6, Manual, White

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Apply some penetrating fluid to the glow plugs few days before you want to remove them. You said you have a torque wrench so I recommend you use it like they say in NKG glow plug change video. Set the torque wrench to 30nm and use that to open the plugs. If they do not come loose with 30nm use some more penetrationg fluid and try again after few days. 30nm is there to prevent the glow plug to fall apart, which might happen if too much force is used.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Bogdan1986

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Denmark
Mine came out very easily. I didn't use penetrating fluid (although that is a good idea), but I did do the job while the engine was warm. Like, an hour or so after I got home from a 30 km trip.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

• 2012 FD Estate, 1.6lt CRDi Blue, Manual, Sleek Silver

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Mine came out very easily. I didn't use penetrating fluid (although that is a good idea), but I did do the job while the engine was warm. Like, an hour or so after I got home from a 30 km trip.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Yes, as well as the penetrating oil, others have said the engine needs to be warm. There are quite a few discussions on here about changing them.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I forgot the most important part, but luckily other members have better memory. Engine should be hot when removing the plugs.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline jonnyplantpot

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thanks folks.
Well probably hold our breath and try it today. Hopefully it’ll be ok.

Offline jonnyplantpot

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Well those plugs aren't where I thought.
I've read the link in the post by nasar_1998x here :link: 1.6 CRDI Diesel FD - Replace Glow Plugs?
about 4 times and I'm either going blind or mad. I've even opened the bonnet on my 2016 GD, and I can't see them their either. I've got to be missing something obvious.

Can anyone let me know more detail on how to find them or post another image of their location, or something?
Thanks, Jon.

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
:link: glowplug.pdf - Google Drive

They are underneath that "A cover" in the first picture. The black connector in the right bottom of the pic should be the power wire to plugs. Just follow that wire and you'll find the power rail which is connected to the plugs.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline jonnyplantpot

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi. thanks for replying.
Is it likely that they,re under the silver heat shield? (Not a lot of other places left to look)
The power cable runs under there.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Have you tried using a mirror? they screwed into the head but tucked away a bit, under that black cable run . You see those two connectors on the image near A. The one closest to A, single wire with braided cover, feeds under A and will bolt to a busbar.

If you find that bar then you'll find the glows cause it's bolted to them and feeds the 12V which the 80A fuse feeds.

Be sure it's not bent or touching earth on re-assembly as that will result in a dead short and cook the fuse

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline jonnyplantpot

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thanks. That sounds like I haven’t quiet looked in the right place.
I’ll have another look tonight. I’ve got a plumbers mirror somewhere, looks like I’m digging that out.

Offline jonnyplantpot

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hello,
Finally got back to looking at this...

In case anyone is looking for them. I believe they are under the silver / metal heat plate.
Spent a while poking around with a plumbers mirror and I can see the ends of one of them. There’s little chance of being able to get at them without removing the plate.

Just to spite me, now I’ve found the things, the problem has gone away. It’ll probably reappear when the weather gets rubbish.

Anyway thanks for the help.
Jon.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal