i30 Owners Club

Siphoning fuel out of tank

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
This post is prompted by the current fuel shortages in the UK. A friend of mine was low on diesel and was driving around from filling station to filling station in a fruitless search for one that hadn't run out of diesel. Eventually, they decided to give up just in case they ran out of fuel. I said 'no problem, I have a full tank, I'll siphon a few litres out to put into your car'.

However, try as I might, I could not push a plastic hose down into the fuel tank of my 2015 GD CRDi. I also tried on my old 2011 FD with no success.

Has anyone managed to do this or is it just impossible? I tried with 8mm bore PVC tubing, which is about 11mm outside diameter.

I did find a filling station with diesel but they refused to let me fill a 5 litre fuel can, although it would have been OK to put 50 litre in the actual car. Apparently they've already had a few punch-ups on the forecourt with folk filling cans.
  • i30 CRD

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Good luck with modern cars. Multiple baffles (depending on vehicle) to prevent exactly what you're trying to do along with sloshing out when full etc. You would have to take a fuel line off between the pump and injectors. It's designed not to be easy

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I only just found out of the shortage there this morning indirectly through social media.
I'm baffled how this can happen in a first-world country. :crazy1:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yeah, seems folks in the UK like to 'panic buy', especially when their fuel tanks get below 98% full :rolleyes:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I was down to 1 bar and low fuel light came on on friday.

Queues, queues and more queues on saturday plus chaos at our local supermarket as only 1 road in/out which serves garage and shop.

Decided to ride it out and stay home as social media updates showing local garages closing as no fuel.

At 9.30pm last night neigbours son texted to say local Shell had no queue.

Managed to get £30 worth (21 litres) max garage allowing per customer as rationing by price.

Today garage is closed.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal