i30 Owners Club

No move in the fuel gauge?

Offline doctorbutcher

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Livingston
So far so good for the new i30, but I've noticed something with the fuel gauge after I refilled with diesel on Friday with 80 miles left according to the trip computer.

Having filled up with diesel the range reading gave 485 miles with the digital display showing a full tank.  I've now driven 110 miles since Friday, but the display hasn't dropped and still shows as a full tank? I would have expected at least one of the bars to have disappered.

What gives?

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
What does the distance to empty read?
110 miles should have seen a drop i recon. Hopefully the gauge sender didnt stick up when you filled.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline doctorbutcher

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Livingston
380 I think was the reading when I got to work this morning.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I can get 80-100kms on the clock in my petrol without the gauge moving if I brim the tank so I'd think the diesel being more efficient should do a few more K's but 110 miles is quite a lot without some change in the gauge reading.

Offline doctorbutcher

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Livingston
Does seem strange... I have a 80 mile round trip to make tomorrow along and back the M8 so if it doesn't move after that I'll get it checked.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
If you have a fuel can i'd put fuel in and put in boot just in case it runs out.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
 :iws:   All of them that it is  :P

I would reckon after 110+80 you should defiantly have movement (would have expected it after 110 really, however)... if not you want that fixed promptly.

If it does move it maybe useful to keep track of distance and the amount of fuel you put in at the next fill  and the gauge position - maybe it needs calibration/adjustment/fixing...   I would make mention of it at the next service at the least.

I mean if you fill up half a tank worth, but the gauge showed you 3/4 full - then how can you be sure you won't suddenly be empty with just under 1/4 per the gauge.   For 'belts and braces' the fuel can idea might be useful - though I suspect not required for your 80mile drive (you shouldn't be any where near empty yet) - if you aren't sure you trust the gauge.

It possibly is worth noting the fuel gauge seems to be 'conservative' at both ends of the range - if filling and/or brimming the tank I have noticed the gauge stays at 'F' for what seems to be ages (but not 110 miles worth) before it starts moving down, and members have reported driving until 'Empty' (fuel low indicator flashing, dashes for DTE, etc.) before filling and, based on filling/brimming, calculating they still had 5-10L left.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 05:38:16 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Did you brim the tank. The sender will still be @ full indication if you did, but should move very soon.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline doctorbutcher

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Livingston
When I filled on Friday, it took £34 + pennies for the pump to click off; leaving the foaming to settle for 10-15 secs after, I was able to squeeze it out to £40 dead so now think I've overfilled and confused the sensor a bit.

Driving home last night the gauge did drop one bar, then a few miles later it came back to full again. Did that a couple of times, but once I'd got home and parked up it was down one bar for a good wee while. I'll keep an eye on it.  :goodjob2:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
As you drive, the fluid in the tank sloshes about. To stop ridiculous readings a capacitor smooth out the ripples and keeps the readout relatively steady. I think I remember the old Hillman cars didn't have this and the needle display used to go berserk when driving. I think they were a Smiths gauge from memory.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
I remember thinking that my fuel gauge wasn't working when I first bout my FD diesel.

I regularly get over 1000km per tank and my average over 158 000km is 5.35L/100km or 52.9 MPG if you prefer.

I will buy a diesel again unless hybrid technology moves on.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have been trying to determine how the DTE and fuel gauge are related - so have been keeping a chart of the readings at each quarter of a tank.

My initial thought is that the DTE calculation is related to the trip economy - but I will need more readings to verify that.

Here is the chart I am keeping - I always brim my car to the top of the filler neck each time I refuel and zero the trip economy. You will see that I usually do more than 100 miles before the fuel gauge reads full. Mine is an analogue fuel gauge with a needle - so it is easier to see exactly when each quarter is reached.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal