i30 Owners Club

Changing seats with airbag?

Offline Alesand

• 2nd Gear
I wonder if someone has taken the seats out. Would it be any problem due to the airbag inside the seat? Some kind of fault in the car since its missing a airbag?

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
I wonder if someone has taken the seats out. Would it be any problem due to the airbag inside the seat? Some kind of fault in the car since its missing a airbag?
What? Airbag in the seat? I though they were from the side or above?  :eek:

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
What? Airbag in the seat? I though they were from the side or above?  :eek:

side of the seatback  :wink:

Offline MyChemR

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

I only totally normally moved the seat (a bit faster) in my car and now i have error on my board computer :rolleyes: so i guess you will have it too if you have an airbag in seat. In my case is totally different car but it should be the same error. Service can fix that, I just got used to it :razz:

Offline EpOcH

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
If you normally have airbags in your front seats and you swap to a non airbag seat you will get a check engine/SRS airbag fault appear on the dash.

Dealer can more than likely enable/disable this function through the computer though.

Offline Alesand

• 2nd Gear
I´m thinking of fiting a racing seat.  :twisted:
I know that in Saab you only need to disconnect the battery when unfiting the airbag seat. In Audi I heared that they have somekind of resistor instead of the airbag. But wonder how the i30 would react???

Offline EpOcH

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
For your own safety disconnect the battery before removing the seat, remember its classed as a pyrotechnics device and will quite easilly break limbs or worse if you get them in the wrong spot and it discharges.

Essentially it will throw the SRS fault/light, it shouldnt stop the rest of the system from working nor should it create a limp home mode, best talk to a dealer and ensure they can turn it off if you want to permanently replace the seat.

Your essentially just creating a fault via a faulty airbag (it not being there) so i cant see it too much of a big deal unless your in a bad accident :)  For the weight and issues, maybe just look at some sort of 4 point racing harness or similar to hold you to the seat, giving enough room for the airbag in the seat to discharge if it should ever need to.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal