i30 Owners Club

2016 i30 Tourer Dual Clutch Transmission problems

Offline Sharpie

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
I purchased a 2016 I30 Tourer wagon in 31 July 2018 - still under warranty obviously. Have had problems from the start with the "dual clutch" auto transmission, excessive engine braking, excessive engine revving. Finally had the dealer "fix " the transmission (apparently replaced the lot) , picked car up Friday, still not working properly, gear changes in lower gears very rough, still excessive revving and engine braking especially in the lower gears.
Is anyone aware of a general issue with the dual clutch transmission?  The dealer has told me to drive it for a month so the new clutch etc can "get used to my driving habits".  Is this for real??  Today the car "stalled" as I moved off from a standing start and entered an intersection - no revving of engine, no gears engaged, just nothing at all. After about 7 seconds the gears engaged and the car moved off. Lucky no cars were coming as I stalled in the middle of the road. !! 
I'm just interested if anyone else has had issues with this dual clutch transmission

Any feedback would be most appreciated.
  • 2015 Hyundai i30 Tourer Wagon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Sharpie,

The DCT  has been tweaked with every new model. For example the one in my 2017 current model PD SR has been excellent. Smooth and trouble free with none of the excess engine braking or hi revving.

However we have a member Eddie ( @edmagman ) who has I think a 2015 i40 Tourer with DCT who has had similar ongoing DCT issues.

Eddie has driven my SR and found that more than acceptable. He has been negotiating with Hyundai for some time to get it sorted. Doesn't sound quite as bad as yours though!

We did find his over revving on down hill sections was better in normal mode than eco mode.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
My gear changes are smooth in the i40. I have gotten used to the high reving, as the car thinks like a manual, it likes to engine brake should you be on a decline and touch the brake.

I drift down my hill at home in N as I don't like the car reving that hard cold, but otherwise let it go.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The operation of the DCT is reliant upon predictive software. It is usual for any transmission program to ' adjust' to driver habits. But this would be within a fairly short time and distance, and not over a month.  :rolleyes:
 Also a 7 sec delay in engagement is unacceptable and was a complaint that Hyundai in the USA was often getting and apparently cured.

@Sharpie , the dealer is hoping you will go away. Confront them, they could not sell a new car with DCT  behaving like this and also expect the new owner to 'teach' the transmission for the next month.
Get real. :Pout:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Sharpie

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
The ongoing saga of the faulty DCT in my 2015 i30 Tourer Wagon continues. After the dealer installed a complete new clutch assembly in December 2018, the DCT problems of excessive engine braking and high revving, and “stalling” ,  continued. I complained again, in February 2019 the dealer said they had to replace the DCT again, a new upgrade from HYUNDAI to fix my problems supposedly.  Not so, it is still playing up, it is actuallly difficult and dangerous to drive with the stalling occurring at random when turning into traffic, very scary. This is at least the third DCT clutch etc installed in my car, which I purchased second hand 1 August 2018, don’t know if previous owner had any issues with the DCT or just got tired of complaining and getting nowhere.
I have now lodged a formal complaints with Hyundai, on 20 March. They have not responded yet, some 2 weeks later.
After reading posts on this site and researching other websites, it appears many i30 owners have had/are having problems.
I may have to start a CLASS ACTION AGAINST HYUNDAI  if they don’t come to the party with compensation.
Are there any other i30 Club members who would be interested in joining a class action?
I know this is a serious move, but I have sold a lemon, and I believe Hyundai should be held responsible.
I really need some support on this, so please think about joining in a class action.
  • 2015 Hyundai i30 Tourer Wagon

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Re previous history.

I recall detailed previously that all work done by hy is recorded on a central hy database so should be available, if the dealer is willing to access for you.

Or

Does the vehicle paperwork have details of the previous owner?
If so, then contact them.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Sharpie, the info you have given us tells me that you have a software problem, not a mechanical one.
Changing the transmission accomplishes nothing .
You have a bad dealer. Unfortunately too common.
He employs barely competent workshop staff who just go through the motions. Any complex issue mystifies them, so they just keep doing the same old thing, hoping that something miraculous will happen or that you die.

Using our law re 'not fit for use' would  be better and less problematic than class action. This way you only deal with your issue , not many others which may be just thought bubbles.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
 :wts:
Obviously  each unit can't be faulty,.
Firstly check your service history with your dealer.to find out exactly what wss changed 
Get copies of history. I'll be surprised if Hy Aus has given approval for 3 units with NO improvement.
Just changing a pack does not affect every other component/sensor.
Hyundai Australia may be a tad slow,  but gentle enquiries every couple of days with same person may help. Ask them does this make sense.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :wss:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal