i30 Owners Club

2008 I30 auto sluggish?

alanmh · 4 · 1818

Offline alanmh

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hereford
Hello all, new to the forum and looking for some guidance, so here goes.....

Car 2008 i30 CRDi Automatic
Mileage 17,000 (yes, 17k miles)
Full history (first 3 years by Hyundai, next 2 at franchised non Hyundai dealers,  rest at independent garage. Done to schedule every 12 months along with MOT)

Problem - the car feels very sluggish compared to the last time I drove it (iit's my mum's car). Economy is still in mid 40's, but below about 2k rpm it's as if the throttle pedal isn't responding to input.  No EML lights or codes stored. Drived ok when upto speed, but when you plant the peddle it takes ages to drop a gear and accelerate.  Before you could floor the throttle and it would easily spin the wheels, now it is almost dangerous when pulling out of junctions. Cruising at about 40-50 mph you can press the throttle almost half wsy before it does anything. Don't know if relevant but there is also a pungent aroma from the exhaust too?
Any ideas at all?
Thanks
Alan
  • i30 2008 1.6crdi auto

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline alanmh

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hereford
Nope, nothing that concerns me at all, no funny whooshing noises or anything to suggest an air leak at all. Power seems fine when over 2k rpm, pulls well.
  • i30 2008 1.6crdi auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Alan, That is a tricky one! Only thing I can think of is maybe some poor fuel or an injector problem (Combination of both)

I would run the tank low and then get the fuel filter changed (can get genuine kia/Hyundai diesel filters much cheaper online) then fill it up with premium diesel.. That may make a difference.  :fingers:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal