i30 Owners Club

Trailer hitch problem anyone got picture?

Offline MadSilence

• 1st Gear

• no Norway
      Vennesla
I bought a trailer hitch (Steinhof) and was ready to mount it! The car had premade holes for the bolts, just needed to clean them for Tectyl xD BUT! On the drivers side the "girder" was square adn nice.  but o the other side it had bulged out downwards :S It doesnt seem rusty or anything and i cant see any crash dfamage. does anyone here have or can anyone here take a picture from underneath so I can compare?

08 Station wagon

Pictures:
The side it won't to:

The drivers side where it fits:
  • i30 1.6 crdi '08

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Looking at your photo, I can see that the channel appears to slope downwards where the fixing hole is, but also the horizontal part of the channel after the slope looks like it is bulging outwards. What is stopping the trailer hitch from fitting, the sloping part or the bulging part? Can you take a photo of the part that is supposed to fix to it? One obvious question is, do you have the correct tow hitch for the station wagon, and not for the hatchback? I have fitted towing hitches on both FD and GD hatchbacks, and the underside of the chassis channel is flat.

Where you have a bulge underneath, is that the profile of the metal, or is it a thick layer of underseal that has built up over the steel?
  • i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal