i30 Owners Club

GD installing USB charger

kroner · 4 · 1147

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
SO I'd like to install a USB charger on my GD.
location would be the on the bottom right of the instrument cluster, where the ECO button lives.
anyone knows anywhere i can tap into a decent high power 12V supply? some of the OBD2 pins maybe?
shame there's nothing ready made to go in there.
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Cut a neat slot and glue this in behind it, then tap off the back of the cigarette lighter.
:link: Hot 6-24V 12V/24V to 5V 3A CAR USB Charger Module DC Buck step down Converter 957881451127 | eBay
which is what I did in front of the tray between the cigarette lighters, or go fancy with
:link: Boat Car Waterproof Dual USB Charger Socket Outlet DC 12V 4.2Amp Panel Mount | eBay
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Yeah, second link is what I had already in my eBay cart :)
Isn't there a bit more disassembling to get to behind the lighter?
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Can't say for the GD but the FD's panel just snaps out and then the centre space has some plasticwork that looks like it planned to accommodate some kind of receptacle. That meant I could mount the USB 3A supply with a bit of binding without need of glue. The back of either cigarette lighter has a connector where I could tap 12V and GND literally 5cm away.

A few weeks later, I went back in and added another concealed 3A module to power a Qi charger upholstered into that same tray, so my Android with the add-on Qi receiver pad under its case can sit there and charge. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal