i30 Owners Club

Looking at 2018 Elantra i30 for Daughter - Inputs Appreciated

Guest · 2 · 1266

Capt_caper
New to Forum ... maybe an active member ... if my daughter ends up buying this car.  :)

2018 Hyundai Elantra GT GLS at Ott's in Ottawa, Canada

In Canada, the 2018 Hyundai Elantra GT GLS is equivalent to a 2018 Hyundai i30 Five Door Elite in most other markets.

The engine in this car is the 2.0l Gas (OK, you guys call it petrol) and the transmission is the 6 speed automatic with SHIFTRONIC manual mode (Not the 7-speed DCT)

My research into reliability places this car just below the highest rated Toyota Corolla (ref: J.D. Power and Consumers.Org).

1) Are there any issues that have come to light with this car, now that it has been out for a number of years?

2) Would you recommend this car for your daughter, if she was 30, unmarried, no kids, lots of friends, active lifestyle (sports gear in the hatch), not crawling commute, and with weekend trips to Montreal (200km away) and Toronto (500km)?

Your experience and inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Capt_caper,

Sorry for the delay in replying. Not sure how I missed this.

The 2.0 petrol combined with the 6 speed conventional auto is a pretty good combination with no real issues that I am aware of. No real issues with that combo or the PD in general and a lot of the 2.0 PD autos have been sold (popular rental vehicle)
I owned a Turbo DCT version for 2 years but have done quite a few kilometres in a 2.0 auto of that vintage and found it to be a good alrounder and a pleasant enough car to live with.

The 1.6 turbo in the new series had a batch of warm start issues and the odd DCT complaint but not the combo you are looking at.

I realise it's an as is sale but the presentation of the vehicle inside and out for such a newish low mileage vehicle is a bit of a worry. Hope the previous owners were more sympathetic towards the mechanicals than they were to the interior plastics.

Their advertising is very light on info but your post and pictures fill most of the blanks.

They are not as economical fuel wise as some Hondas and Mazdas but over here they are cheaper service generally. Check to make sure it has service records to confirm service history and therefore maintain the warranty cover.

Sounds like a perfect car for your daughter and her lifestyle.

Please keep us in the loop.  :goodjob:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal