i30 Owners Club

Thinking of buying older i30 budget max £2500

Offline smallzoo

• 1st Gear

• crewe, cheshire
Looking for an i30 for my daughter to share. she is a carer so has to be reliable etc

We only do about 5k miles a year

so
first , question diesel or petrol ?
second, at the age we are looking 09/10 etc can they rust

any other advice

• i30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
At 5k best to go for petrol.

My son has my 2007 and still looking brill.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I agree with eye30, for that sort of mileage petrol would be better, and the 1.4 petrol doesn't seem to be that much less economical than the 1.6 diesel.

The paintwork on my old 2011 car was suspect in places, it looked very thin on certain edges like along the front edge of the rear doors and around the top edges of the tail-gate. It's not bubbling up or flaking off, but it has an orange tint to it as though surface rust is showing through the paint. The spray coverage on my car may have been patchy, I don't know whether it's a common fault, but check those edges on any cars you look at. The mid-spec  models add air-con, electric windows and alloy wheels, so check the air-con is working, and also what state the alloys are in. The original wheels aren't great, they are prone to corrosion.

My old car has now done about 205,000 miles and has been very reliable. The engine hasn't been touched, it still has the original clutch, exhaust system. Other than replacing wear and tear items like the brakes, the only parts I've had to replace are front suspension drop-links, rear shock absorbers, a couple of aux drive belts, battery (twice), and a rear brake shield which rusted away. A competent DIY mechanic can keep on top of the maintenance, especially with the help of this forum. It has blown quite a few headlamp bulbs, though since changing to long-life bulbs that has been less frequent.

When I bought the car on a PCP in 2011, I had to include for full maintenance package, and one reason I picked the i30 was that the cost of the maintenance package was a fair bit lower than similar cars like the Ford Focus I had previously.

As with any used car, try and find one that has been looked after. Check the MoT history on-line to see if it regularly passes the MoT. If it has a history of failing tests and requiring work before being passed, that would be a sign of neglect. For many cars, the only time they get any attention is at an MoT when the owner has no choice but to fix it. If they are likely to present a car for an MoT with blown bulbs, bald tyres, perished wiper blades and inefficient brakes, what confidence can you have that they have been getting regular maintenance done (like changing the oil)?
  • i30 CRD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think the paint was a weakness on some early cars built at the Czech factory but otherwise pretty good. Although your salted roads can wreak havoc with brake and other wheel and suspension related components.  So inspect those.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline smallzoo

• 1st Gear

• crewe, cheshire
Thanks

As you know the i30 is seems as bland by a lot of people ( not me ) but which is the sportier looking one ?
  • i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks

As you know the i30 is seems as bland by a lot of people ( not me ) but which is the sportier looking one ?

In that age and Price range not a lot of difference in styling between models. I personally think the wagon looks better than the hatch in the first series. A set of cheap alloys using the standard size tyres can make quite a difference. Look at gallery pix for examples.

Offline smallzoo

• 1st Gear

• crewe, cheshire
Thanks. I know it was probably a daft question but kids can be fussy lol

Another question. My daughters last car was an older 1.4 corsa. I dont think things were quite right with the engine but she hated the fact she struggled to go up inclines and overtake.

We both like a bit of speed, Is the 1.4 i30 got good power or do we really have to look at the 1.6

We only do about 5k miles a year so should we even contemplate the diesel

thanks
  • i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
A bit of body kit upgrades the look quite a bit. :D

• Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline smallzoo

• 1st Gear

• crewe, cheshire
Whats the differences between the models Comfort, Premium etc..?
  • i30

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Have a look at honestjohn website for reviews of i30. In the specs section it lists all the various trim levels and what's included, details of facelifts etc. Also worth looking at the photos of cars on Autotrader at the various trim levels.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Comfort is pretty basic /cloth. Style was half leather, and preimum I think was full leather, other gadgets to match. I'd go for style or preimium.

If going for a diesel the 6 speed (2009 onwards) recommended. Certainly no issues up any incline!

check no smoke when starting the engine from cold.

Usual things like checking for service history.

When I sold my 2009 car about a year ago the paintwork was still excellent and no rust.

Offline smallzoo

• 1st Gear

• crewe, cheshire
Thanks for the answers so far

I am being honest and I am really stuck between an i30 or Mazda2. I know they are different sized cars

Anyone convince me otherwise ?

• i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Better class of forum? :snigger:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline smallzoo

• 1st Gear

• crewe, cheshire
Funny...

I suppose the issue I have is the for £2500 Im getting an older i30 and a slightly new Mazda2.. not bothered about the age just the same older used car niggles..
  • i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Funny...

I suppose the issue I have is the for £2500 Im getting an older i30 and a slightly new Mazda2.. not bothered about the age just the same older used car niggles..

Find reasonable examples of both and try and test them back to back. Mind you it's easy for me to say this in pretty much covid free Tasmania. 

The i30 drives like a car in the medium size class. The mazda 2 isn't a bad car but they are very different to drive. If you consider a mazda 2, why not consider a Getz. We loved our super reliable and zippy 2006 getz. They are better than the i20 in my opinion.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal