i30 Owners Club

Car Insurance - a Surprise (For Me Anyway)

AlanHo · 15 · 3489

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
In the UK your car insurance policy covers you to drive someone else's car with their consent - but it only provides third party cover..

A couple of days ago I saw in the news a story where a lady had borrowed a friend's car for a few days while her car was being repaired.  She assumed the policy on the car shared by her and her husband would provide third part cover.

She had a puncture in the friend'car on a smart motorway, (where the hard shoulder was in use as an extra lane) and stopped on the hard shoulder. This caused a big tailback of cars and was dangerous. A  police car arrived to see what the problem was.
There was no spare wheel in the car. So she was stuck.

She explained to the police that it wasn't her car and they asked to see proof that she had insurance cover to drive it. She didn't have the certificate of insurance with her so the police checked the details by radio. They told her that she was not allowed to drive other cars because the policy was in her husband's name and she was a named driver. This meant she was only allowed to drive their own car. They issued her with a ticket and she was later fined £300 and had points added to her license.

Perhaps everyone else on the forum is aware of this limitation. My wife Libby and I were not. Libby has occasionally driven her daughters car not knowing she was not insured to do so - because our car policy is in my name with Libby named as a second driver.

This incident was in the UK and the insurance restriction may not be relevant in other countries.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for that Alan. It would be interesting to know if it is the same in Australia.

We have a combined policy which covers house, contents and both cars in joint names. I am nominated as the main driver of my SR and Trish the main driver of the Tourer. Both cars are registered in joint names. If rules are similar over here we should be ok.  :Knock:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Our cars are also registered in both names and the associated insurance policies are also. (Might have to check that last bit).

But our registration is different. it includes third-party insurance paid as part of the rego.
So, if the car is registered, it is covered by a third party policy. Applies provided the driver is licensed.

Our comprehensive insurance also covers any other driver using the car periodically with our approval. Their is a higher figure payable before the insurance kicks in if the driver is under 25.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
@AlanHo  what happens with your hire cars over there?

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
Thanks for that Alan. It would be interesting to know if it is the same in Australia.

We have a combined policy which covers house, contents and both cars in joint names. I am nominated as the main driver of my SR and Trish the main driver of the Tourer. Both cars are registered in joint names. If rules are similar over here we should be ok.  :Knock:

mine is due for renewal and am shopping around, ive seen this 3rd party stuff mentioned as coverage for another vehicle.... not sure if this is only for the primary driver or not as iam the only driver on my insurance.
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

mine is due for renewal and am shopping around, ive seen this 3rd party stuff mentioned as coverage for another vehicle.... not sure if this is only for the primary driver or not as iam the only driver on my insurance.
As I said above, it's irrelevant in Oz, due to our third party being part of the registration process.
However, perhaps Alan is referring to what we call third party, property which covers damage caused to another vehicle if you are at fault.
That's not compulsory in Australia.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Should I ever need to driver someone else's vehicle I'll ring my insurer before I do to clarify. When I drive a loaner or a "test" vehicle from the local Holden, Nissan, Hyundai dealer I think the form I sign says $1000 excess.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
As I said above, it's irrelevant in Oz, due to our third party being part of the registration process.
However, perhaps Alan is referring to what we call third party, property which covers damage caused to another vehicle if you are at fault.

Sorry, where did I mention CTP ?

Best you climb off that high horse.... you may not be insured !!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Sorry, where did I mention CTP ?

Best you climb off that high horse.... you may not be insured !!
Didn't you mention CTP (Compulsory Third Party) here, Surferdude was only answering a question, no need for the attitude thankyou.
ive seen this 3rd party stuff mentioned as coverage for another vehicle.... not sure if this is only for the primary driver or not as iam the only driver on my insurance.

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
Didn't you mention CTP (Compulsory Third Party) here
Registered cars have CTP, I dont drive unregistered cars.

I apologise for the confusion between compulsory 3rd party and non compulsory 3rd party.. Iam talking about the latter in my previous posts... which I assumed was the subject at hand.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Didn't you mention CTP (Compulsory Third Party) here
Registered cars have CTP, I dont drive unregistered cars.

I apologise for the confusion between compulsory 3rd party and non compulsory 3rd party.. Iam talking about the latter in my previous posts... which I assumed was the subject at hand.
Craigb answered for me regarding the "attitude".

However, I wasn't criticizing you or your post.

It seems to me (given there has been previous discussion on here about the differences between vehicle insurance here and in the UK), the whole subject in this topic is open to misunderstanding. Which is why I introduced the information that our cars are covered by CTP as part of the registration payment.

Not sure how you think I might be uninsured. I explained our coverage above.

Anyway, let's move on.
It's Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 07:43:21 by Surferdude »

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Alan,

I was aware of this as it specifically says so on my insurance certificate policy.

I have 2 additional driver but only the policy holder is covered to drive another vehicle.

My sons first policy said he was only covered for named car only.  No cover for any other car.

Also,  the other car has to have valid insurance cover by the owner at the time you are driving under your policy 3rd party cover.

Another situation is business cover.

I have this also but only the policy holder covered and only the named car.

This cover does not extend to another car i, the policy holder, may be driving under the any other car cover, unless car has been loaned by garage or rental company during repair or service.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Thanks Lester - I must get my magnifying lens out and have another look through the policy fine print.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Thanks Lester - I must get my magnifying lens out and have another look through the policy fine print.
Here is copy of my certificate which states policyholder only driving other cars and business use only by policyholder detailed, not hidden in small print t&c's

There is hidden content here which only members can see. Please Login or Register.

Ps
Re finish and start time of policy.

No cover for 2 minutes

What happens if incident at 12 midnight!!!!!!!!!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline simon@mgr

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ingham, FNQ
In Australia CTP is only for personal injury not property damage.
  • 2008 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, Grey

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal