i30 Owners Club

Dazzler's 2019 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Android Auto)

Dazzler · 104 · 15876

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
If they took price of airfares and fuel off, I'd be happy to drive it home!  :idea: :happydance: :goodjob:

Some clever bugger  probably included the airline sale in the Darwin deal.

Dont get all wound up  Dazz, it will turn up one day/ month/ year     :mrgreen:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
If they took price of airfares and fuel off, I'd be happy to drive it home!  :idea: :happydance: :goodjob:
But by then itd have so many klms on it you'd have to trade it in. 😄

:rofl: True!

It's all good. I'm still enjoying the SR. Had friends in it today who have a 2014 Corolla and 2013 Territory and they are always super impressed with my car.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
But by then itd have so many klms on it you'd have to trade it in. 😄

:rofl: True!

It's all good. I'm still enjoying the SR. Had friends in it today who have a 2014 Corolla and 2013 Territory and they are always super impressed with my car.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
Bet you tried to sell it to them at a bargain price too !
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Might as well use up as much rego and put as many km on it as you can.....

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Might as well use up as much rego and put as many km on it as you can.....
Yep! 'll have done over 20,000 on those Michelin Pilot sports by the time she goes!  :Shocked: :crazy1:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :scared: just what he needed.  :faint:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thats why it is taking so long, they stopped supply to work out the issue. The recall applies to the few that got delivered before they discovered the problem.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:whsaid:

It ended up being a very small number of cars but I'm sure they will be checking mine at predelivery anyway.

Ironically, Trish's Kona went in for a recall for a potential brake issue yesterday. I took it in and got a new Qashqui ST-L as a loaner.. Not bad, but the Kona goes and handles better...  :honk: :Drive:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Kona goes and handles better... unless it has a brake issue.  :honk: :Drive:

Reality check .......Sorry maaate  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Kona goes and handles better... unless it has a brake issue.  :honk: :Drive:

Reality check .......Sorry maaate  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:lol:
no biggie, change the plastic clip near the exhaust for a steel one .
Anita's was done in WA  prior to going to the dealer.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ok, so I took delivery of my new car on Tuesday just gone and already put over 500 kilometres on it. The 1000 service is booked for next Friday but the way I'm going I reckon it will have over 1500 on it by then.

Up until now the two best cars I've had for different reasons would be my very attractive and well featured 2014 Holden Calais V and my 2017 Hyundai i30 SR.

I hate to say it but this new car combines the best of both then adds some. Although to be honest wish I could take the infotainment system and menus for driver aids including the cruise control buttons out of the SR and transfer them to the Camry. Hyundai has that stuff way more sorted than Toyota.

While on the negative side,  while my favourite feature (automated cruise) works really well on the highway it's not as good around town as the SR was.

I've already put a K & N Air filter in it and it looks like I'm going to be getting around 4.5 L/100 kms (so hopefully 1000 kilometres out of a tank) the official combined ADR economy is 4.2 L/100kms.

She is so quiet and the ride on the 17" wheels with 50 series tyres is so comfy after the 40 series tyres on the Calais and SR.

She is the first Camry to have independent rear suspension so she handles pretty well too.

The regenerative brakes have a much nicer (less wooden) feel than my previous 2 Camry Hybrids (a 2010 and a 2012 model)

I've got some ROH SprintR alloys ordered and I'm going to put a pair of matching chrome exhaust tips on the other side to give a quad exhaust look.  :evil:

This is the wheel I've ordered.

It's only got a space saver spare so I'm going to use one of the current full size alloys as a spare.

Offline mrpayner

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Ballarat
I must admit that the styling is certainly more aggressive than previous gen camry's. I'd like to see pics of the new wheels on the car when you get them on too Daz. Looks good!
  • 2019 Hyundai i30 N-Line Premium - 1.6lt T - DCT - Fluidic Metal

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I must admit that the styling is certainly more aggressive than previous gen camry's. I'd like to see pics of the new wheels on the car when you get them on too Daz. Looks good!

Thanks Adz! I'm confident they will transform the car . The standard wheels have been on all Camrys for 10 years or more .. so boring. I hope I'm not disappointed.

Will definitely share a picture.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wow! I forgot how great it is to have 1000 kilometre range (as in my old FD CRDi and my two previous Hybrids). I filled her up after doing around 150 kilometres in the first two days before our trip to Hobart and she took $15 of Premium unleaded (I doubt they brimmed her when they gave me a full tank)

We did well over 700 on our recent trip to Hobart and I've done another 100+ since getting home. So now we have done over 950 kilometres and still showing a quarter of a tank. It's saying about 100 kilometres range remaining but it's been very conservative all along (so I'm expecting to get close to another 200)

I am still very happy, but she's not perfect. The stereo is pretty ordinary. I doubt it is as good as the SR sound wise. Certainly way behind Trish's Krell system in the Kona. Luckily I don't tend to listen to the stereo much. I may end up getting a little under seat sub woofer installed at some stage.

I'm going to miss the TPMS (Tyre pressure Monitoring System)  I thought it had that but looking at the spec sheet I don't think even the SL (top model) gets it.

A lot of the little thing that i30 owners complain about on the i30 are the same on the Camry. Auto hold can't be set to stay on permanently. Also, as I've said before only the base model comes with a full size spare. At least in the SR if you set the preferred Auto cruise distance to the car in front in the SR it would stay at your preferred setting. The Camry defaults to the furthest distance. There was another thing that the Camry shares with the SR and other i30's but it escapes me at the moment.  :spitty:

But don't get me wrong. They are all minor and easy work arounds. I'm still loving the economy, quietness, comfort and room.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Some more random thoughts on my new car for anyone that's interested.

I was thinking it seems like I'm not going to get quite as much out of a tank as my previous two Hybrids but when I checked the specs of the 2010 and 2012 models I previously owned, It was easier to work out why... Amazing really, but nearly getting as much range out of this model's 50 Litre tank as I was out of the 2012 model's 65 Litre tank and the 70 Litre tank in the 2010 model.

Luckily the good outweigh the bad because it is a bit of a love hate thing. The SR (and other Hyundai's I've owned) have spoiled me with the "detail".

Things I live or Love..

The new Camry Styling (except for the fake rear vents)
The Value for money compared to a similar spec'd SUV
The Combination of performance and economy
The Quietness of the cabin (in most circumstances)
The excellent ride quality.
The interior room and large boot.
The increased range between fuel stops (compared to most petrol cars)
Operation of Automated cruise on the highway.
Feel of Steering and Brakes (big improvement compared to previous Camry models and as good as anything in the class)

Not so great...
No TMPS (I liked the Tyre pressure monitoring feature in the SR - my first car with that feature)
No compartments in boot to hold small purchases in place (and bag hooks poorly located)
Menus in instrument cluster and Infotainment system not user friendly compared to Hyundai ones.
Tom Tom based navigation not as good as system used in Hyundai models.
No Android Auto (yet)
Operation of Auto cruise in the town.

I can work around about half of the negatives but fortunately none of the negatives are deal busters.

It's just a shame Toyota is so set in their ways to copy some other brands better ideas.

I think Hyundai has made a point of pinching some of the better tech from some other brands like VW and BMW.

If I could put the good bits of the SR into the Camry it would be an exceptional car.

Hopefully I get my new wheels on today (I can't wait) Talking of weight, I'm going to get them to check the weight of the new wheels against the OEM ones.  :goodjob:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Saw a Black one of yours this morning.
FUGLY rear vents? , what vents ? ? ?
Get yours painted white  :victory:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes, they are much less noticeable on the dark blue as well. I may get them sprayed at some stage.

Trying to duplicate the exhaust tips on the other side is proving harder than anticipated. Probably going to have to get two the same made up and replace the existing tips...  :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Another lesson in patience! My wheels were delayed for some reason.. may not get them until next Monday now.   :Pout:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Yes, they are much less noticeable on the dark blue as well. I may get them sprayed at some stage.

Trying to duplicate the exhaust tips on the other side is proving harder than anticipated. Probably going to have to get two the same made up and replace the existing tips...  :undecided:
How about a couple of 3 inch dumps ?  :winker:
Am 90% sure this black one had 2 outlets each side .
 Was on bike at time so may have been distracted.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah the black one was probably a V6.

Actually that's a thought. I'd prefer even one on each side than the current lopsided set up.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Yeah the black one was probably a V6.

Actually that's a thought. I'd prefer even one on each side than the current lopsided set up.
Yeah !, I thought you'd like the 3"dumps   :victory: :victory:  :rofl:

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
The new Camry certainly is a heap better looking than all previous models and decent value for a hybrid. For the first time in decades Toyota is building cars that look decent and have comparable levels of equipment to their opposition.
  • I30 SR Premium PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The new Camry certainly is a heap better looking than all previous models and decent value for a hybrid. For the first time in decades Toyota is building cars that look decent and have comparable levels of equipment to their opposition.

Cheers Matt,

I didn't like the previous version of the Camry at all looks wise , hence buying a Commodore, then an SR.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ok so I got my new wheels. @CraigB I made a point of getting them weighed compared with the OEM alloys. Approximately 20Kg with Tyre on Versus 22 for OEM. Interestingly it almost exactly offsets the extra weight of the OEM full size wheel versus the spacesaver. OEM with a free second hand  Dunlop SP Sport Max +21 KG V Spacesaver spare wheel 13 KG.

Very Happy! Think it has transformed the look of the car.

I've got two genuine exhaust tips coming from Toyota for roughly $100 all up to make my other side exhaust for the quad exhaust look. Probably be the only other mod I'll make I reckon.

Oh, and while I think of it the Ceramic tint makes a noticeable difference to the amount of heat coming into the car.  :goodjob:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
They really suit the car Dazz :cool: 2kg per corner unsprung weight reduction is really good :goodjob2: enough that you should be able to notice/feel small differences in the suspension and steering response now.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Wheels look brilliant Dazz. Good choice. Certainly picks this Camry up from the gutter.   :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Ok so   I got my new wheels. (abysmal grammar  :spitty:)

Oh,  and while I think of it the Ceramic tint makes a noticeable difference to the amount of heat coming into the car.  :goodjob:

Where would you find sufficient heat down there ?   18 degrees max, prior to blizzard? :scared:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Gary , I think..  :rofl:

Our sun is savage down here at times!  :crazy1:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Looking much sweeter.  :goodjob:
( Dont forget to paint the fugly rear vents )

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal