i30 Owners Club

HOW TO: UPGRADE YOUR GD-01/GD-02 TO A GD-03 HEAD UNIT STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE

VTH · 476 · 231267

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Why no camera? My camera works fine!
That would likely depend on which model someone has, base GD models in Australia (like my own) didn't have a reverse camera.

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Why no camera? My camera works fine!
That would likely depend on which model someone has, base GD models in Australia (like my own) didn't have a reverse camera.
I thought he meant that his camera is not working after he changed to the GD03 unit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hyundai i30 2012

Offline skipper_vp

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Excuse me for misleading, English is not my native :) camera and USB hasn't yet installed. I was lucky to find new GD-03 for 300 AUD when wreckers asked $550, now i need to buy camera and lead+panel.
  • 2013 diesel wagon

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Excuse me for misleading, English is not my native :) camera and USB hasn't yet installed. I was lucky to find new GD-03 for 300 AUD when wreckers asked $550, now i need to buy camera and lead+panel.
No worries!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hyundai i30 2012

Offline geneb

• 1st Gear

• nsw
Hi Guys, created an account to say thanks for all the info. I've just completed my upgrade. I had issues with Android auto initially (connection would drop out immediately on start up)  due to I think using an unshielded cable to replace the chopped cable I received with the unit. I rejoined the ends using a shielded usb phone cable soldering/heatshrinking everything carefully. Everything now works perfectly.

Appreciate the detailed info 👍

*Purchased unit from ultimatejap on ebay for $295 delivered (Aus)
  • i30 gd 2015

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Guys, created an account to say thanks for all the info. I've just completed my upgrade. I had issues with Android auto initially (connection would drop out immediately on start up)  due to I think using an unshielded cable to replace the chopped cable I received with the unit. I rejoined the ends using a shielded usb phone cable soldering/heatshrinking everything carefully. Everything now works perfectly.

Appreciate the detailed info 👍

*Purchased unit from ultimatejap on ebay for $295 delivered (Aus)

:welcome: I'm sure the contributors to this thread appreciate your acknowledgement.   :hatoff: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline skipper_vp

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi to everyone! As i've already posted here - i recently upgraded to GD-03 and got USB lead and panel from Tynan ($108 extra).
So i've updated firmware and started testing maps, spotify and other features.
After i've opened google maps all of sudden my sound stopped, even when i unplugged phone and diconnected bluetooth, my radio was silent till i turned off and on the HU.
And this happens all the time, if anybody encountered something similar? I've tried different phones and cables, and also it's important to mention that my AUX is not connected.
  • 2013 diesel wagon

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi to everyone! As i've already posted here - i recently upgraded to GD-03 and got USB lead and panel from Tynan ($108 extra).
After i've opened google maps all of sudden my sound stopped, even when i unplugged phone and diconnected bluetooth, my radio was silent till i turned off and on the HU.
And this happens all the time, if anybody encountered something similar? I've tried different phones and cables, and also it's important to mention that my AUX is not connected.
I'd run the firmware update again, sometimes require two runs and make sure to initialise the system when completed.

Offline skipper_vp

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks! I will definitely try, and also i've found another solution that will try:

FIX WORKAROUND Third party EQ app from the play store fixed the issue it must be running before hooking up android auto. I tried a couple eq apps and they both seem to fix the no audio issue. Do not use the bass boost it strips out bass on both apps I tried. I also added the EQ to my battery exempt apps. I am using Huawei Mate 10 pro running android 8.0 emui 8.0. Hope this helps someone I was banging my head on the wall.

(c) Whirpool forum
  • 2013 diesel wagon

Offline skipper_vp

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I'd run the firmware update again, sometimes require two runs and make sure to initialise the system when completed.
Thank you, Craig! It really worked out, after uploading the same FW the problem disappeared.
  • 2013 diesel wagon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Three cheers for @CraigB....  :victory: :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline skipper_vp

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
New day - new problem :) while attempting installing reverse camera faced problem with missed pins (i've bought new HU, so no old connector was there), does anyone knows where to buy pins separately.

Temporarily i've soldered two wires directly to the mainboard.
  • 2013 diesel wagon

Offline creesy

• 1st Gear

• AUS
Quick question.  Is there an easy way to source a replacement for the USB cable from within Australia? I’ve had no luck with wreckers they are always cut.
  • I30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
New day - new problem :) while attempting installing reverse camera faced problem with missed pins (i've bought new HU, so no old connector was there), does anyone knows where to buy pins separately.

Temporarily i've soldered two wires directly to the mainboard.
Car audio store, Jaycar or any other electronics stores :undecided:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Quick question.  Is there an easy way to source a replacement for the USB cable from within Australia? I’ve had no luck with wreckers they are always cut.
Stanvac Korean auto wreckers would have but whether they'd sell the cable without a unit I don't know, other late model car play compatible Hyundai's would likely use the same cable.

You can always order through Hyundai.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Mind helping me out with a part number 👍
I’m sure if you call Hyundai service/parts desk and enquire about the USB cable for a 2016 i30 GD-03 head unit you should get your answer  :)

Offline skipper_vp

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Is there anybody in Australia who can sell me two female pins for HU harness? I can't find them anywhere...
  • 2013 diesel wagon

Offline Majcip

• 2nd Gear

• sk Slovakia
      Slovensko (SK)
Thanks VTH for the great guide.  I replaced the GD-01 head unit in my 2014 on the weekend and it is working great.

In case anyone else is interested I had trouble getting a USB cable as the wrecker supplied the head unit and AUX port but cut all the cables!

Hyundai spare parts told me the USB cable was part of the main harness and couldn't be purchased seperatly and the main harness was AU$1500!

I managed to order the USB cable (96595-A5000) from Four Green for much less (US$12.62 + postage), however a few days later they told me they didn't have the part and gave me a refund.

There is an alternative KIA part (96198-3W000) which both Four Green and Korean Auto Parts have in stock.

While researching the cable however, I discovered I could order the connectors and make the cable myself.

The connectors are GT17 Series from Hirose and are made up several components which include:

Housing -  GT17HS-4S-HU (You'll need two of these)
Insulator - GT17H-4S-2C (You'll need two of these)
Outer terminal - GT17HS-4S-5CF (You'll need two of these)
Centre terminal - GT8-2428SCF(70) (You'll need eight of these)

It might be a good idea to buy a few extra in case you mess up the crimping.

I ordered all these parts from Digi Key Electronics

For the cable I used a shielded USB cable, the specific cable used in the Hyundai part is "DUSUNG E203693 AWM 2725 VW-1 80C 30V Low Voltage Computer Cable", however if you can't find this cable any shielded USB printer cable should work just fine.  Look for AWM 2725 on the cable and you should be fine. 

I happen to find some of the same cable used in the genuine Hyundai part and used a 45cm lenght which was enough to reach with some slack for ease of install.

Using some wire strippers, crimping tools and tweezers it took me 20 minutes of steady hands (the center terminal pins are tiny) to make up the cable.

As I mentioned earlier the wrecker cut all the cables and sent me the cut off ends so I also have the plug with some wires that go into the AUX port. 

I'm working on making up an adapter that will allow me to plug the cable in my car to the new AUX port.  I'm currently sourcing the connectors from GD-01 AUX port (96120-A5000) so I don't have to cut up the one I have to get the plug, but I'll keep you all posted if that turns out.

Anyone knows if this is the same cable for PD/PDE vehicles? Looks the same to me. Im trying to upgrade from 5" to 8" and all I need to do now is create the cable for it.
  • i30 Fastback (MY 2018 - PDe), 1.4 T-GDI

Offline Andy002

• 1st Gear

• hu Hungary
      Budapest
Very professional tutorial! Congratulations!
  • Hyundai I30 2014, GD, 5 Door Hatch, Petrol, 1.6, Manual, White

Offline Mr Bean

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia N.S.W

Offline murrakami

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Many thanks to the club for keeping this topic active.  My GD-01 died a week ago so decided to upgrade to GD-03.  Followed all instructions in this thread from installation to firmware update.  The whole process was seamless!  Cheers!
  • hyundai i30 GD Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Many thanks to the club for keeping this topic active.  My GD-01 died a week ago so decided to upgrade to GD-03.  Followed all instructions in this thread from installation to firmware update.  The whole process was seamless!  Cheers!

Great to hear. We love this sort of feedback.  :happydance:

Offline jwychen

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Just made an account to put a post of thanks to everyone on this post - I've just successfuly upgraded my i30's head unit. Just wanted to share a few details of my expereince in case it helps someone:

>>>Regarding head unit
 -Hot property it seems, places I called seemed to think it was 'faulty' unit because they sell quick - I wonder if they know the real reason. They don't seem to come with the aux/usb box and cable often. I got just the head unit for $275.

>>>Regarding installation
 - Since I couldn't find the GD-03 compatible aux /usb box and associated cable or the 1x5way 2mm pitch I went through the route of 'making' my own with an old usb male/female cord and my own crimping as suggested by Samgregory. I found it very difficult as this was the first time I crimped anything and the tiny connectors involved, but ultimately worthwhile for experience and value. Don't be afraid of making your own cable - seems like finding the aux/usb box and associated cable was much harder
- I bought 2mm pitch housings and connectors from RS. Note it has to be 2mm NOT 2.54mm which is the 'standard' motherboard connection size. Links below
Housing - :link: PHR-4 | JST, PHR Female Connector Housing, 2mm Pitch, 4 Way, 1 Row | RS Components
Connectors - :link: BPH-002T-P0.5S | JST, PH Female Crimp Terminal Contact 24AWG BPH-002T-P0.5S | RS Components
Crimping Tool - something like this which accomodates AWG24 (size of wire/connector) :link: Crimping Tool for Non-Insulated Lugs | Jaycar Electronics
 - I Youtubed crimping technique and seemed to work ok - example video here :link: How to crimp your own cable harness - YouTube

All up took about 2 hours of my time, hardest part definitely crimping the wires and about $275 + $8 + $17 = $300 in total equipment cost.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone and thanks for everyone's previous advice!

If someone could reply with where to download the new firmware that would be great - I've had no luck on the cartronic website unfourtunately!
  • 2013 i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If someone could reply with where to download the new firmware that would be great - I've had no luck on the cartronic website unfourtunately!
The last firmware update for the GD-03 was December 2018 and I doubt we'll receive another, unless a serious compatibility bug arises after phone firmware updates.

Most wreckers will sell the USB/AUX module with the GD-03 unit, though from my experience only Stanvacs Korean Auto Wreckers supply the interconnecting USB cable without cutting it in half.

Koraps can supply the cable also at a fraction of what Hyundai service parts will charge.

Last available 2018 firmware version 2.05.10 https://mega.nz/file/4VNS1CBC#TDtyBj-i0walRinImFxvqR2U9YLgyPwrU5hdx96FhMM
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 06:40:38 by CraigB »

Offline briskoonie08

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Australia
Hi Guys,

Relatively new to this forum with my change from a long time ford guy to my first hyundai i30. Had the car for about 6 momths and having an issue with the radio cutting out randomly and going mute and the only thing that will bring sound back is turning it off and on. Gotten worse more recently where I start the car and only 50% of the time will i have sound without turning it off and on. Decided either to fix it or upgrade.

I've found a second had GD-03 unit selling but it seems to only have the part of the USB cable that connects to the back of the unit itself, some numpty must have cut the line and sold the other side or something else, either way the thread mentioned they upgraded the plug from the GD-01 to the GD-03 and my question is, was it the back of the unit itself that had the change? and if so can I use the half with the unit and simply splice my old one into that to make a complete cord?

Cheers
  • 2013 GD SE 3 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt, Manual, Silver

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
and my question is, was it the back of the unit itself that had the change? and if so can I use the half with the unit and simply splice my old one into that to make a complete cord?

Cheers
You'll require the USB/AUX module as well and then you might be able to splice together but the cables are quite different.

A genuine cable would be my personal preference.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 18:08:58 by CraigB »

Offline briskoonie08

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Australia
Ah so the original USB/AUX from my GD-01 unit is not compatible either? Thought it was just the cord alone that was the issue  :sweating:

Thanks for that

Cheers
  • 2013 GD SE 3 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt, Manual, Silver

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Ah so the original USB/AUX from my GD-01 unit is not compatible either? Thought it was just the cord alone that was the issue  :sweating:

Thanks for that

Cheers
Correct, they're not compatible.

The first post of this topic explains in detail the differences between parts and what's required for the changeover.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal