i30 Owners Club

Brake fluid change

Offline mbeari30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Considering doing a brake bleed and was wondering thoughts on the following:

- car has done 60K & never had the brake fluid changed
- in the manual it says inspect but doesn't say replace - should I be replacing anyway? Feel it would be better to do myself rather than send to mechanics as I don't trust whether they'll completely bleed the system or just take it out & top it up
- if I was going to do it myself and completely flush the system, I am looking at buying the Motive brake bleeder: :link: Motive Products 107 Brake System Power Bleeder : Amazon.com.au: Automotive

Has anyone used this device and can recommend and share their experiences?

TIA :)
  • 2017 SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt, Auto, White

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Brake fluid is hygroscopic - I flush mine every 2 years in any vehicle regardless of what any manual says. Got a moisture tester? Then sure you can do it whenever it says theres too much water but brake fluid is cheap and I enjoy working on cars/bike. I recently bought a Toledo bleeder and extractor - need an air compressor but works well

Offline mbeari30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Brake fluid is hygroscopic - I flush mine every 2 years in any vehicle regardless of what any manual says. Got a moisture tester? Then sure you can do it whenever it says theres too much water but brake fluid is cheap and I enjoy working on cars/bike. I recently bought a Toledo bleeder and extractor - need an air compressor but works well

Thanks Josh.
Haven't got a moisture tester and it's been coming up to 5 full years since I've bought it (new) so I should probably just do it anyways. Just nervous because I'm a newb. Got the same question about the fuel filter too...various opinions online (even though at 60k in the manual it says replace) but some people say that you don't need to because the filter is in the tank.

read good things about the Toledo, but I'm looking at one without a compressor, so this one seemed like a good option.

Would you go the moisture tester first or just go ahead and do a full swap due to time since it's been in there?

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
I'd be changing it ASAP. If you were to follow most manufacturers 3-4 year interval you'd be overdue, with odd 5 year interval if tested being due. What happens with the water is the boiling point dramatically decreases. Not something I'd be chancing should you really need to stop

Offline mbeari30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I'd be changing it ASAP. If you were to follow most manufacturers 3-4 year interval you'd be overdue, with odd 5 year interval if tested being due. What happens with the water is the boiling point dramatically decreases. Not something I'd be chancing should you really need to stop

Hi Josh - I ordered 500mL of brake fluid and a moisture tester. Do you think I should order another 500mL just in case or will one bottle suffice?

I know you can't keep brake fluid, so just wondering what you'd recommend.

Thanks  :)

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thinking back to when I did mine I'm sure used about 1.5 bottles but I really made sure the new fluid was well and truly through. You can always return the excess bottle if you don't open it.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal