i30 Owners Club

Blowers Barely Blowing

Offline gsteinert

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK
First post so please be gentle!

I've recently bought a 2007 FD and the blowers are barely working.

That is, when the fan is turned up to 4, set to blow in my face and all but the drivers side vents are closed the best I get is a gentle breeze - less than I'd expect to feel with it set to 1!

Changing the direction of flow using the centre console (those 4 buttons) has no discernable effect.

I can hear the fan working and seemingly moving air so I suspect that a hose may have come dislodged somewhere but I wouldn't know where to start looking!

Before I go digging into randomly selected parts of the dashboard is anyone able to give me some pointers as to the best way to narrow down the issue?

And thank you to all those who have contributed in the past. This forum is already proving a treasure trove of useful information  :D
  • 2007 FD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4l, Manual, Black

Offline Paolo39

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester
When you say that fan is working, how much is working?
On 4 it should be blowing a hell of an air.
If it is only just working I suspect that blower motor resistor is for replacement.

Offline gsteinert

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
When you say that fan is working, how much is working?
On 4 it should be blowing a hell of an air.
It should, but it isn't. Imagine a gentle breeze through an open window... that's what I can feel!
If it is only just working I suspect that blower motor resistor is for replacement.
The thing is I can hear the fan working and air moving somewhere. It makes all the right noises you'd expect at each level, it's just nothing is coming out the vents.

Do you know where the blower itself is hiding? If i can get at it I can at least confirm whether or not it's working as it should.

Offline Paolo39

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester
The blower motor and blower motor resistor sits below cabin air filter.

Offline Paolo39

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester
The thing is I can hear the fan working and air moving somewhere. It makes all the right noises you'd expect at each level, it's just nothing is coming out the vents.

You could hear motor itself. If for some reason the plastic fan snapped/cracked and still allows motor to work, you can still hear it.
Unfortunately that means disassemble dash.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 01:49:22 by The Gonz »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I'd set it to max. Then go through each mode and confirm what  air flow comes out of each setting. If the modes don't change maybe the mode flap/ motor is not working.

I don't understand the first post where you say the drivers vent id closed but you expecting air to blow in your face.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@gsteinert Have you checked the cabin filter :undecided: it could be blocked it not changed in the last couple of years.

Offline gsteinert

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thanks all.

I haven't checked the air filter, definitely a good first step.

I can hear the blowing, the noise of air moving as well as the fan I think but it's worth checking out. Shame it's a dash disassembly job though

And the drivers vents are the only ones open. I wouldn't expect them to blow if they were closed

I'll get the tools out tomorrow evening and see what I can find

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Thanks all.

I haven't checked the air filter, definitely a good first step.

I can hear the blowing, the noise of air moving as well as the fan I think but it's worth checking out. Shame it's a dash disassembly job though

And the drivers vents are the only ones open. I wouldn't expect them to blow if they were closed

I'll get the tools out tomorrow evening and see what I can find
  :goodjob2: missed the "all but" That's what happens at 4am I guess half asleep :winker:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I don't think the dash will have to be removed at this stage. The blower unit is behind the glove box, so all that can be removed easily. The main unit that has the cooling  and controls hopefully if it's a control motor they're accessible also from either side in the foot wells.

Offline gsteinert

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I don't think the dash will have to be removed at this stage. The blower unit is behind the glove box, so all that can be removed easily. The main unit that has the cooling  and controls hopefully if it's a control motor they're accessible also from either side in the foot wells.
That's good to hear.

So I'll find the contents of the microfiche above behind the glovebox? Sounds like a good start

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
@gsteinert Have you checked the cabin filter :undecided: it could be blocked it not changed in the last couple of years.
@gsteinert
As Craig says, remove the filter first.  You wouldn't be the first with no air due to filter.  Daughter's FD had similar problem when we got it.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline gsteinert

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Aaaaand.... air filter it was

Gave it a good blast with the hoover and all is well again.

Might swap it out as well seeing as it looks like it may be the original 12 years on!

Theres a fantastic youtube video here that goes through the process including dealing with those fiddly clips in the glove box.

Thanks all for your help.

I'm sure I'll be back with the next niggle

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Always best to start with the simplest solution first :goodjob:

I use the K&N brand filter in mine, more expensive but lasts forever and the airflow is much better than the paper filters.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@gsteinert Thanks for getting back to us... great to hear. :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I've been lucky having found that video about a year ago and followed it to check Firty's filter. I never had any flow problem since new but it played on my mind that I wasn't including it in normal scheduled maintenance.

Firty had been treated like a collector's prize possession throughout her warranty period, always garaged indoors and even in storage under covers for 15 months. When I did get around to checking that filter, a couple of small gum nuts and some tiny foliage is all I found.

A really thorough treatment with a vacuum cleaner and that same filter is there now. :lol: :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal