i30 Owners Club

Fuel pump

Di · 14 · 6714

Offline Di

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Banora Point NSW
Okay my 2013 i30 starting having problems a couple of weeks ago felt like car was starved of fuel as was losing power.
Took it to local Hyundai and they did diagnostics of it and said couldn’t find anything but my battery was low so suggested a buy a battery which I did.
 2 days later car started stalling so back it went they have had it since Monday and yesterday asked if the car had been in a flood as the fuel pump had a black sludge in it and wouldn’t be covered by warrenty( I assured him it has never been in a flood)
This morning I’m told the fuel pump is full of insects how the hell can insects get into a fuel pump and I’m beginning to think they have no idea.
I feel it should be covered whatever it is under warrenty they have quoted me 1200 to replace fuel pump.
Does anyone know anything about fuel pumps on here  : :fum:
  • I30my14

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Okay my 2013 i30 starting having problems a couple of weeks ago felt like car was starved of fuel as was losing power.
Took it to local Hyundai and they did diagnostics of it and said couldn’t find anything but my battery was low so suggested a buy a battery which I did.
 2 days later car started stalling so back it went they have had it since Monday and yesterday asked if the car had been in a flood as the fuel pump had a black sludge in it and wouldn’t be covered by warrenty( I assured him it has never been in a flood)
This morning I’m told the fuel pump is full of insects how the hell can insects get into a fuel pump and I’m beginning to think they have no idea.
I feel it should be covered whatever it is under warrenty they have quoted me 1200 to replace fuel pump.
Does anyone know anything about fuel pumps on here  : :fum:
My first question is, has the car been serviced on time / as per the schedule?

Who's been servicing it?

When was the fuel filter changed last?

what sort of mileage does teh car do? Frequent use , high ks?
or rarely used?

and finally I call bullshit on insects in the pump at this stage.

There's a screen in the tank and a fuel filter right before the lines to the pump in the engine bay.

have we got evidence / photos of the insects?

Or did they say you have fuel bug?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Di

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Banora Point NSW
The car has 80;000 is on it and Hyundai have always done the servicing it is just overdue for a service.

They have just rung to say they are taking the fuel tank out still can’t tell me whether it will be covered by warranty or not.
  • I30my14

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
The car has 80;000 is on it and Hyundai have always done the servicing it is just overdue for a service.

They have just rung to say they are taking the fuel tank out still can’t tell me whether it will be covered by warranty or not.
Good luck with it then but if they scream bad fuel you'll be stuck with the bill however they should get permission to do the work. My dad's FD started having a cutout issue after a service, they claimed bad  fuel, fuel bugs, cleaned this, replaced that etc and never really got on top of it. Even claimed they replaced the fuel pump which they did not.

Yet I have 3 of these none of which have ever displayed a fuel issue.  :sweating:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

@Di     Tw hasn't asked a crucial question, we are talking about a petrol motor , not diesel? Correct?
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Di hasnt bothered to reply here or to my PM, so guess we are yesterday's feather duster again  :idea:

Im going to take a punt that it is a diesel car. Based upon that assumption,  the so called " insects " refer to fuel bug. A reasonably easy fix at an independent garage.
Dealer can see bug in the fuel pump?  :rolleyes: Clever, or does the apprentice think the thingy in the tank IS the pump?  :undecided:
$1200 to replace a diesel pump is too cheap, that is more like dealer price for unnecessary removal of tank.

Whether it be contaminated petrol or diesel, Di put it in there, not Hyundai. Di will be liable for repairs.

Sadly.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Di

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Banora Point NSW
Sorry been off line for a few days it is a petrol motor.
Car has been fixed and the old parts were returned to me ,there was definalety flying ants in there and they would not cover under warranty $1200 later .
  • I30my14

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Car has been fixed and the old parts were returned to me ,there was definalety flying ants in there and they would not cover under warranty $1200 later .
Whoops, sorry about that  presumed it was diesel since it was a fuel issue, not often we read of a petrol.
 Well, that's incredible and a shame we have no images.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
At least it's sorted. One less thing to worry about?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Hi Di.

That is incredible and extremely unlucky. You can't budget for something like that!  :crazy1:

Fingers crossed it is properly sorted and you have a good run from now on. Love to know how they got there and why they chose your vehicle.

There is a thing called diesel BUG which is an algae which forms in some diesels cars in certain conditions, so you can see why we thought there may have been some confusion with terminology when you first mentioned insects.  :undecided:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

The last thing Di should do is try to figure out where she got the bugs. No doubt they were in a load of fuel. Probably some small low turnover servo who will deny any responsibility.
Avoid Them!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

The last thing Di should do is try to figure out where she got the bugs. No doubt they were in a load of fuel. Probably some small low turnover servo who will deny any responsibility.
Avoid Them!

Well it would help if she knew where she got them from so she can avoid it happening again!   :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Avoid Them!

Well it would help if she knew where she got them from so she can avoid it happening again!   :whistler:

So, I like said that.  :(   Probably should like use plain Unglush, so people wont like ugnore me for 4 days,  :mrgreen:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

WOW! That is in the relm of never to be seen again.
Just looked where  Banora Point is, Tweed Heads area is close enough for me.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal