mickd · 88 · 22670

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :victory: :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
An hour ago, I SMOKED the Z3 past old Harry's house in at similar manner.  120 kph in 2nd!   :crazy3: :happydance:

As I returned, idling past him at 3800 rpm,  he was lying on his lawn,  but he looked up  and motioned a thank you  :goodjob2: wave to me ... it seems he has lost all fear of getting COVID-19.
Sure he wasn't choking on the smokey Z3 fumes...he might have been waving for help :whistler: :lol:

Nah, It was all applause, he thought he was back at Bathurst again,  :evil:
Obviously not Harry Firth,  can't wave ,   :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :rofl: :rofl: :goodjob:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I had to look up HF, still none the wiser. :eek:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I had to look up HF, still none the wiser. :eek:

Public service research skills.  :whistler: :faint: :rolleyes:

As a mere pleb,  :head_knock: I pushed a button thing and found Harry :

Firth won the Bathurst 500, including its predecessor at Phillip Island, four times

Firth has often been described as a 'bush engineer', someone who could probably build a race winning engine from nothing more than a roll of wire.

Firth was instrumental in launching the professional careers of two famous drivers ,Colin Bond and  Peter Brock .

:evil: :evil:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Umm, anyone can push a button. I can't make sense of why he couldn't wave. :head_knock:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
@The Gonz
Sorry mate, Petrol head joke or head affected by petrol.

Poor Harry Firth is dead.

Truly amazing mechanical insight , with a " why don't we just do this then "

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

@mickd  Similar guy, John Britten is a cousin on mum's side. He was using carbon fibre in the 1970s. :link: John Britten - Wikipedia

@The Gonz , been pushing buttons and finding people for the last 10 years.   :cool: couldnt help it.  :mrgreen:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

@mickd  Similar guy, John Britten is a cousin on mum's side. He was using carbon fibre in the 1970s. :link: John Britten - Wikipedia

@The Gonz , been pushing buttons and finding people for the last 10 years.   :cool: couldnt help it.  :mrgreen:
Britton motorcycles , awesome design and creative building techniques.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Britton motorcycles , awesome design and creative building techniques.

KIWI   :baps:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
somewhere between post #24 and here,  :rolleyes: distractions, distractions, :rofl:
threw some fuel into a soda water bottle, dragged it 1/2 outside the shed & hit the button - no good -  :undecided:,  blowing bubbles in the petrol -  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: fuel lines around the wrong way - fixed - hit button and bellowed into life( left muffler off). Plugged up spark plug drain wells with rag prior and no oil around the head, checked plug wells and yep oil over plug leads & rags soaked in oil -  :happydance: head stays on :victory:.
Start checking other items, typical of 29 1/2 yo machine, needs brake pads & seals front & rear, clutch & brake master cyl kits, rear wheel bearings. Ripped out shaft drive, uni, shaft, diff, cleaned & greased all, minor wear on teeth but all good. While on stands & rears off, switched rear guards, checked suspension bushes etc.

Stripped.

Engine output on left, Uni goes in the middle and shaft goes into Uni 60mm down tube - cannot see to align :censored:
Unfortunately swearing doesn't help at all .

Drivetube

all the bits

Wheel flange

Suspension etc

all back in with swapped guard.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sounds like hard work.. No time for mischief there.. Wouldn't suit me!  :winker: :snigger:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Sounds like hard work.. No time for mischief there.. Wouldn't suit me!  :winker: :snigger:

Ignore him Mick, it used to work in a bank.  :rolleyes: Say no more.  :mrgreen:

To Mick: This is an interesting project, :goodjob2: are you learning on the job, or have you worked on this model before?

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
@Dazzler
You'd love this work. A lot of it goes like this :
"You know what goes where, you can't see it, but, you can feel it.
 Now close your eyes, put some hair around it and be gentle".
A saying from a mate's dad when we were young.

@nzenigma
Only plugs and oils & had the shafts out before. ( years ago I decided to  do shaft process after giving it a 4 x limit run in a 50 . Discovered the final drive had stress cracks   :Shocked: )
Have a workshop service manual, usually read a couple of times,  then do. Am learning as going.
All good fun, come on parts.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@Dazzler
You'd love this work. A lot of it goes like this :
"You know what goes where, you can't see it, but, you can feel it.
 Now close your eyes, put some hair around it and be gentle".
A saying from a mate's dad when we were young.

Yep, sure sounds like something up my alley.  :D

Ignore him Mick, it used to work in a bank.  :rolleyes: Say no more.  :mrgreen:

As a relieving bank teller I toured the state chatting up the pretty young office girls that did the Banking (1st wife was one of those) so not as bad as it sounds.. :P

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Only plugs and oils & had the shafts out before. ( years ago I decided to  do shaft process after giving it a 4 x limit run in a 50 . Discovered the final drive had stress cracks   :Shocked: )
Have a workshop service manual, usually read a couple of times,  then do. Am learning as going.

As you say all good fun :goodjob2: :goodjob2:
My brain is wired so that I read the manual, find 10 useless anomalies , start the job and get to the WHAT the f part? or OK thats what they meant part,  and then I re-read the manual.

Mate of mine is an aircraft engineer and pilot; he is wired the same way.
Initially he couldnt understand the theory. Eventually said to the instructor, just let me fly the bloody plane. He went up, landed and passed the written test.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My brain is wired so that I read the manual, find 10 useless anomalies , start the job and get to the WHAT the f part? or OK thats what they meant part,  and then I re-read the manual.

Initially he couldnt understand the theory. Eventually said to the instructor, just let me fly the bloody plane. He went up, landed and passed the written test.

My Brother and I are like chalk and cheese when it comes to RTFM.. He reads them cover to cover (I seldom use them at all) They are always the very last resort for me (more like to google if I get stuck)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

My Brother and I are like chalk and cheese when it comes to RTFM.. He reads them cover to cover (I seldom use them at all) They are always the very last resort for me (more like to google if I get stuck)

Ive got no problem with Google Dazz. Use it as much as any paper manual. I have just watched 6x U tube clips on the same subject. Only one mechanic was competent , the other 5 aardvarks just demonstrated how to screw the job up.Which was also useful. :mrgreen:  As an aside, my pilot mate is the previously mentioned skull fracture victim, be interested to see how his brain works now. No trial yet due to CV.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Just for clarity :
Only read the process of what I'm doing,, not the entire book.  :lol: :lol:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Been waiting on a bit over a shitload of bits. All arrived now.
Rear caliper, opposed pistons. After being dissassembled and a  week soaking in WD40, 1 piston came out . Both piston have bits out of contact area  :eek:

Other side was given a gentle press fully home in by vise.
After another 2 days, slipped a long 6mm bolt in rear of caliper, packed out the front with wood and ssllooowwyy pressed piston out in vice.  :happydance:

Stubborn side before being pushed fully home.

Other distractions again moment are: newcarpet, getting house fully painted and kitchen tiles & cupboards & benchtops are going to be refinished as well.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I find the piston and caliper work fascinating.

Can't say the same for home improvement. After improving 5 houses (rentals and home) it's become very mundane.

Don't get me wrong - I still maintain my rentals first-hand - but the most interesting job I had recently was ...

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 06:54:46 by The Gonz »

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Can't say the same for home imporvement. After improving 5 houses (rentals and home) it's become very mundane.

Don't get me wrong - I still maintain my rentals first-hand - but the most interesting job I had recently was ...

(click to show/hide)
Won't be doing work, just paying for it.   :victory:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Can't say the same for home improvement. After improving 5 houses (rentals and home) it's become very mundane.

(click to show/hide)
All that waiting gave me time to guess (correctly)  :happydance:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
.... Only one mechanic was competent , the other 5 aardvarks just demonstrated how to screw the job up.

Then Mick shows me the horror shots above, but saves the day with...

After another 2 days, slipped a long 6mm bolt in rear of caliper, packed out the front with wood and ssllooowwyy pressed piston out in vice.  :happydance:

My future advice,  to anyone, about anything, will include the 'ssllooowwyy technique'.   :evil:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
1 hrs with a dremel, carb cleaner spray, thin gauge wire with cloth wrapped around it to clean out fluid passage ways,  I have 1 cleaned.
Add about 45 mins for the other side and , winner 2 shiny clean caliper halves.

Some minor pitting and corrosion, but almost 30 yo and I'm positive the last time they were opened were when being built.  :crazy1:
Will flush fluid yearly from now on. Need to flush hose, check for rust  :Good_luck: attach, bleed air and I will know that BOTH pads will be used when braking.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Caliper back on, system flushed & bled, all good.
Another distraction, as I 'm 98.5kg not 106kg, then increasing to 114kg, old helmet is very loose. Tried on a couple that we got Anita years ago that just weren't right. The $400 AGV is very snug and the $90 is just a little loose near the ears. AGV is nice colour scheme, white black, grey. Other , well, is just very Pink and flashy, or was .
Work in progress:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
From my days as Life Support Equipment Senior Design Engineer and Airworthiness Standards Representative, sizing a helmet was done by custom forming the internal padding. Is there some system of adding or removing (or reforming) padding to the existing shells?

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Is there some system of adding or removing (or reforming) padding to the existing shells?

Not in motorcycle helmet land. You have to pick something that fits your head size and shape the best.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Is there some system of adding or removing (or reforming) padding to the existing shells?

Not in motorcycle helmet land. You have to pick something that fits your head size and shape the best.
Correct, can be a pain at times.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Life Support Equipment Senior Design Engineer and Airworthiness Standards Representative,

:faint:

I'm impressed.  :cool:  The entire first page of any correspondence must have been the letterhead.

:goodjob2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal