i30 Owners Club

Lockdown in a Lockup _ cheers Mick

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@mickd  Could be called 'Zs in a Shed'  .

Finally got into two overdue jobs. The BMW Z3 was not a relaxing drive because it could 'tram line' unexpectedly. Cause was the rear rubber bush on each front control arm; not that they looked tired or broken.  :undecided:

Changed to these Nolathane bushes...... magic!  :happydance: No tramming , No under steer. Love it!

The new long awaited job is the damaged motor in my 2007 350Z .

Boy wonder owner ran into something low and solid and then tried to drive home. Guess what happened?

Yup!  :goodjob2: Tearing the oil filter and cooler off the motor causes immediate loss of oil and car stops soon after... for ever.

The known unknown was that the rods would be welded to the crank shaft. That was a relatively easy bit of engineering. But part of the upper oil pan was also missing and were only available 2nd hand in dysfunctional USA for US $350 plus dubious freight and our ratshite exchange rate... :spitty: forget it.

Then the wrecking God phoned me with an offer I could not refuse. A low 66,000 km motor complete for well under 2k :happydance:

Wrecker was at Burleigh Heads right next to Anastasia's border wall. The wall is a beautiful thing, it stretches right across the whole Queensland State, she loves it, she's making NSW pay for it.  :goodjob2:

Back to the motor , why so cheap? :cool: The 350z motor has French finger prints all over it. Consequently, the fail rate is quite high. But by 2007  :rolleyes: they had developed this 306 hp HR motor which is quite bullet proof. Therefore, an HR engine can stay in storage for years.

Currently removing front of car so that I can bring motor and gearbox out as one unit.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Wrecker was at Burleigh Heads right next to Anastasia's border wall. The wall is a beautiful thing, it stretches right across the whole Queensland State, she loves it, she's making NSW pay for it.  :goodjob2:

Enjoyed that, but liked this bit best..  :rofl:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Bad boy wonder,  does he know the ix35 owner?
The border to nsw- xico is a good idea, glad to be paying for it.  :lol:
2k for the motor will save a lot of time and probably be cheaper.
Can you get source a 4 inch lift kit for the Z ??
Enjoy ,  :goodjob:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Its called progress.  :faint:

V6 Motor and gearbox progressively being removed.

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Better keep your PT out of the shed when struggling with take.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
That's a big DONK! Glad you found your camera :whistler:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
That's a big DONK! Glad you found your camera :whistler:
yes mate its all action at J motors.  Camera is at my side , as is my PT  :wink: :wink:

For some reason the Euros bury at least 1 bolt on the exhaust in an impossible position; normal people cannot loosen it.  :spitty:
I used my  favourite 14mm KC socket with rattle gun and it split in half.  :crazy1:
Used NZ ingenuity and moved culprit= invested $ 40 at tool city.
 Motor should come out tomorrow  :D the day will be green  :mrgreen: as a US safe cracker told me years back..... story reserved for my friends only.  :cool:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Action day at J Motors,  :whistler: stripped down Z goes for its first test drive.

After engine came out , all work is done on the floor > looms need to be swapped.

Gear box fitting after the internal concentric clutch slave cylinder and throw-out bearing is replaced.

Getting smarter, I remove cross members and steering so I can easily lift new motor up into car.

Not so smarter, because I didnt trust the hoists tackle setup, I did not pre-fit the Left and Right O2 sensors. Wrong. Now I cant get to them to screw them into the manifold > another trip to Trade tools.  :undecided: Solved?

Yes, bloody well solved, painfully,.....

Meanwhile, concerned PT watches from a distance.  :victory:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Your PT was just hoping that ball throwing capacity was not diminished. 
Don't you just love it when you "out-smart yourself,
  :crazy1: :head_knock: :head_butt:  :censored:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :cool: made worse when a 'family member' knows about your 'self out-smarting'   :scared:  :phone1: :phone1: :phone1:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
:cool: made worse when a 'family member' knows about your 'self out-smarting'   :scared:  :phone1: :phone1: :phone1:

:rofl: :rofl:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Stage 832:

Motor purrs  :happydance:

However, idle is all over the place. The two electronic throttle bodies and accelerator pedal need to go through a precise learning ritual.
Turn off all functions & wheels facing exactly forward
 > Turn Ignition on wait 3 sec>stomp on pedal 5 times in 5 secs>wait 8 secs>hold down pedal 20 secs> watch for MIL to go solid on>release pedal with 3 secs.  :head_butt: :crazy2:

Got close twice by using a stop watch; but I know my steering sensor is not centred and that's possibly messing with it.

Taking a break and have think time while I refurbish 'Peter'  ;)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

• Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Time for a victory lap.

But those centre lights are 'slip' and 'traction off'. There is a correlation between steering centre and throttle learning, so the revs still randomly fluctuate by 1000 rpm. My scanner refuses to play with a Nissan so Im going to wing it for a bit starting with a shed wheel alignment.

The steering sensor may actually be centered. Did a string-line wheel alignment before I go and see Bob and Jane about 4 new tyres. Only one rear wheel was pointing in the right direction. Now drives quite well as long as traction is switched off.  . Obvious that Boy Wonder has been driving like this for ages. This is typical:  :crazy1:

Front left tyre.....at 270kph :crazy2:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hmm, some of those wankier tyre joints promote race set ups.
I once had guy say this to me for my 1987 XF sedan.
"We set it up to lean the tyres in like a race car dude, the difference will be amazing.Less resistance at the front,  more speed,  sharper handling, fully sick. "
  :rofl:  :fuckyou:  :stoned: 

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :rofl:

And as an example: can't decide what is "wankier", the car, the 'shop' or the owner.   :snigger:

:link: YouTube

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

And as an example: can't decide what is "wankier", the car, the 'shop' or the owner.   :snigger:

:link: YouTube

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Did you see the rainbow gear selector cover ,   :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
AND they are serious  :crazy1: :crazy1: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I want that gauge that measures smiles. :eek:
"It's only rubber" he yells over the noise - cool!  :rofl:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Yeah, it's only rubber.
 Maybe his dad should have used one   :whistler:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Maybe his dad should have used one   

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :laughter: :laughter:
Yeah, it's only rubber.
 Maybe his dad should have used one   :whistler:

:laughter: :laughter: :laughter:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hmm...  :undecided:  steering wheel comes off today; then attack with multimeter and oscilloscope.

Went down to Jax and had four tyres fitted and alignment  .  As it turns out, my 'string' alignment was not far off the mark  :goodjob2: .   
However, their scanner, like mine, could not read the steering angle sensor.
Drove home over the Samford range with ESP off. Nice to drive, but drop below 2000 rpm and throttles still surge,
Between the workshop manual and Google, Im thinking 1.  buggered SAS sensor, 2. damaged circuit, 3. boy wonder has permanently disconnected it....somewhere. The wanky kid above would have had to do that.
From my MIA mate in Ippi, I have a link to a cloned Nissan scan program which may solve the throttle relearn.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Busy, busy.
When finished, will you keep it  :lol:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Highlander went to a better home last week, so maybe.  :cool: when its finished  :phone1: :phone1:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
That was easy....maybe, I hope  :fingers: :fingers:

I hardly need to explain to you that the 350 Zeeeeeeeee sensor is clipped on the back of the clock spring. ( 'clock spring' in US Zee parlance is the 'wire coil thang'  :stoned:)
 Well checked the circuit, its ok, the sensor is inert, so accepted that it is stuffed.  New one US$400  dream on Trump :clapping:.
Decided to go basic with no ESP......But assembled the SAS appears to work  :happyjumper:. It may have been the LH white connector ( dirt)
  :Dunno:.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good job Gary. Fungers crossed..   :D

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@Dazzler
As we are away from public glare here, I'll give you a dealer story.
I often deal with a Bob and Jane franchise and get good service, so they get most of my work.
However, they cannot center the steering (SAS) with a scanner.

On this job I definitely needed to have SAS checked when 4 new tyres were fitted., so I called 'Jacks' place.
On the phone, 'Mr No Personality' went "yep, yep, yep" to every question, which is never a reassuring sign, but assured me he understood 'scanner' and that they would centre SAS as part of the alignment, if needed.

Next day,  the tyres were fitted, :goodjob2: alignment done, :goodjob2: but no scan :fum:
Mr NP then attempts to sidetrack me with attitude and crap about fixed castor.
I stood my ground and his boss and a mechanic ( good blokes) took over. Between the three of us we ran a scan, did a circuit of the block and established the sensor was at fault. Simple. :crazy1:
I'm happy; but then Mr NP throws :spitty: the bill at me, I pay and walk out then later realised NP has added $70 for using the scanner. :rolleyes:

Im reluctant to criticise the dealership because they came good in the end; but, only because I was the one who held their fly in the ointment to account.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Should have charged them for tuition.
No ESP ?  :happydance:  :lol:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Should have charged them for tuition.
:iws:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@Dazzler
As we are away from public glare here, I'll give you a dealer story.
I often deal with a Bob and Jane franchise and get good service, so they get most of my work.
However, they cannot center the steering (SAS) with a scanner.

On this job I definitely needed to have SAS checked when 4 new tyres were fitted., so I called 'Jacks' place.
On the phone, 'Mr No Personality' went "yep, yep, yep" to every question, which is never a reassuring sign, but assured me he understood 'scanner' and that they would centre SAS as part of the alignment, if needed.

Next day,  the tyres were fitted, :goodjob2: alignment done, :goodjob2: but no scan :fum:
Mr NP then attempts to sidetrack me with attitude and crap about fixed castor.
I stood my ground and his boss and a mechanic ( good blokes) took over. Between the three of us we ran a scan, did a circuit of the block and established the sensor was at fault. Simple. :crazy1:
I'm happy; but then Mr NP throws :spitty: the bill at me, I pay and walk out then later realised NP has added $70 for using the scanner. :rolleyes:

Im reluctant to criticise the dealership because they came good in the end; but, only because I was the one who held their fly in the ointment to account.

Cheers Gary thanks for the story. This section isn't restricted but no harm done (I think.)  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal