i30 Owners Club

Loss of power

Offline Philt75

• 1st Gear

• Wales
I30 petrol, manual 1.4L

Mileage 126000

The issue started in 2020 with it loosing power and the engine management light came on but would then go out when you hit about 3000 revs.

Put it into a garage and they changed the spark plugs which improved the issue but did not fully fix the issue.

Since then the car has a lumpy idle and when changing gear the car seems to go into limp mode for a second or two and then goes back to normal.  Occasionally when this happens the engine light flashes for a few seconds.

The power of the car is a lot less than it used to be

I have had this checked by a garage and they said that they could not find anything.

So I had the car fully serviced by hyndai which cost me £1200 and for 2 weeks the car felt great then it went back to how it has been for the past year.  Before I start shelling out yet more money I thought I would see if anyone has any ideas as to what it could be.  I'm at the point where I am going to get rid of the car if I do not sort this soon.

Any help would be really appreciate. 

Thanks
Phil

• Own

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Philt75 and  :wlcome02:

Do you use the same filling station for your fuel? Just wondering if a change of supplier might make a difference...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
At the service did it include a check of the fuel filter which for petrol is in the tank under rear seat.

At one of my services hy ticked filter checked but i said hadn't.
They said yes it had so I asked to prove it.

The chap lifted the rear seat and said thry had taken the fuel tank inspection lid off.

I asked how did they do that when the carpet was still in one piece as the cut out was still attached.

I rest my case!!!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
If the engine management light flashed, there should be an historic code logged in the computer. A cheap obd2 reader should be able to read and pinpoint the area of concern. Is this a coil on plug engine or does it have leads to the plugs? and what did they charge you for in the 1200 pound service?

Offline Philt75

• 1st Gear

• Wales
Hi guys,

Thanks for the info.

I have had the engine plugged into a diagnostic machine but the garage said that nothing came up (that is if they bothered to do it) I will get it checked again.

The £1200 was for loads of things including breaks, tyres, shocks, springs etc.  Begining to think it would have been better to upgrade it to a newer version.
  • Own

Offline Philt75

• 1st Gear

• Wales
Hi guys and gals

Well I finally found out what the problem is. The pressure in the fourth cylinder is down. Unfortunately it will cost to much to fix.

Thanks for everyone's help.

• Own

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Shame.

Sometimes these codes disappear when engine gets restarted and can be difficult to diagnose. When car goes in to limp mode it would be good to check the codes before shutting the engine. I've managed to find couple of mystery codes with that method. May be difficult if you don't have own obd reader.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal