i30 Owners Club

new windscreen washer pump rear not working

Offline trinity1

• 1st Gear

• england England
      WAKEFIELD
just fitted a new washer pump to my 65 plate i30 hatchback crdi,and found front worked and rear did,nt,a friend checked the new pump with 2 wires from the battery one side was full of go and the other was very weak so i took the pump back ang got a replacement only to find the same result,when i had them both on you could hear the front pumping but not the back ,there was power to the plug going into the pump,i phoned the place i got them from and they said the problem must be with the vehicle.any help would be appreciated as i am not a technical person but just thought i would try to do it myself to save money,for anyone like myself wanting to change the pump it is very easy,if you just undo the mudguard on the drivers side it is there in front of you,thanks in advance for any advice
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 10:35:28 by trinity1 »
  • I30 SENAV

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Use the forum Search box and enter "Rear window washer not working"

You will get a list of several threads with solutions. Most of the problems are due to goo in the pipes leading to the rear nozzle.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
There is a check valve in the hose to the rear washer, under the roof lining at the rear of the car. On an earlier car I found this check valve was blocking the flow. Disconnect the hose from the washer pump at this check valve and try the rear washer. If water squirts out of the hose then it's probably the check valve. Make sure the water is directed out of the car and not into the roof lining. I removed the spring and washer from inside the valve and the rear washer worked fine. I'm not really sure what the valve does, but everything seems to work just fine.
  • i30 CRD

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The check valve is probably there to stop the water in the pipe - which being in the roof lining is the highest point, from draining back into the washer tank.  Otherwise the pipe will be full of air and it will take a long time for the pump to re fill the pipe and for water to reach the nozzles
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline trinity1

• 1st Gear

• england England
      WAKEFIELD
There is a check valve in the hose to the rear washer, under the roof lining at the rear of the car. On an earlier car I found this check valve was blocking the flow. Disconnect the hose from the washer pump at this check valve and try the rear washer. If water squirts out of the hose then it's probably the check valve. Make sure the water is directed out of the car and not into the roof lining. I removed the spring and washer from inside the valve and the rear washer worked fine. I'm not really sure what the valve does, but everything seems to work just fine.
Thank you. But there is no noise comeing from the pump but the wiper blades work on the rear when I activate the screen wash. front works fine
  • I30 SENAV

Offline trinity1

• 1st Gear

• england England
      WAKEFIELD
Plus when I swap pipes around on the pump. The water comes through the rear
  • I30 SENAV

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Sound like a problem with the switch or a connection somewhere. For the rear washer the polarity to the motor is reversed so the motor runs in the opposite direction. If the motor runs forward OK it suggests the motor itself is fine. This is when a wiring diagram would be useful.
  • i30 CRD

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Also when I swap the pipes around on the pump the water comes through to the rear
If you connect the front pipe to the rear pump outlet does it pump to the front screen?

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline trinity1

• 1st Gear

• england England
      WAKEFIELD
Thank you all for your help all sorted now. Got a different pump from amazon, not a problem. Would also mention the cost was £12  eurucars 28.and the local garage44. Plus the cost of labour. Thanks again for help
  • I30 SENAV

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal