i30 Owners Club

Steering Angle Sensor £2k quote - help?!

Offline womble2023

• 1st Gear

• england England
      Aldershot
Hi everyone, hoping someone can advise me!  I’ve had my I30 from new 2009, only 89k miles on the clock. last week power steering stopped working and the car is currently not drive-able due to the very heavy steering.
it was recovered by RAC to an RAC approved garage who have told me the steering angle sensor is the problem but that you can’t buy that part on its own. it’s only available to buy as part of a whole electric motor unit.
quote for new part is £1800+vat+labour!!
reconditioned part is £1080 all in with vat & labour. however they can’t now get the reconditioned part we were quoted for yesterday.

we were happy to pay the £1080 as its a great little car that owes us nothing and has another 100,000 miles to go on it, we were just going to run it into the ground. but it’s definitely not worth £2k if we have to pay for a new one.
what else can we do? the car is still at the garage while we decide 😟. any (helpful) thoughts?!
we love hyundai; we also have an i40 tourer and a Santa Fe (both over 10 years old!)
  • Hyundai i30 2009 1.4 5 door hatchback petrol 89k mile manual

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi Womble, not a cheap part by any means :eek: you could try ringing around some Hyundai breakers/wreckers .

You would likely get warranty on most parts and many wreckers will also fit parts...they do down here anyway.

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
Have you checked for part numbers in partsouq.com? enter your VIN number and you'll get exploded diagrams there.

You can also try to tear into it and get the sensor out yourself (its undrivable anyway), hop on over to a Kia dealer and show them the sensor part that you're looking for. They might have it.

I did that before for the EPS motor linkage (the rubber piece in the electronic power steering). Hyundai told me the entire steering linkage was 1 assembly for order and cost $3,000. So I tore it apart, got the faulty part and showed it to Kia. cost me $2usd to fix it and about 2-hours total time.
  • 2011 FDe i30 1.6 CRDi 6M/T

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal