Venga 1.6 petrol Economy - Same Engine as Hyundai Cars

AlanHo · 9 · 3159

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The latest spreadsheet data for my Venga fuel economy is shown below.

Some points of interest to 1.6 litre manual petrol owners of various cars :-.

I tend to keep well within speed limits. Traffic permitting, on motorways I average between 55 and 65 mph (88 to 105 kph), on decent A roads 55 mph (88 kph), on most B roads 40 mph (64 kph) and within towns 25 to 30 mph (42 to 48 kph).

You will see that I filled up with BP 97 premium fuel on 20th June and ran the tank as close to empty as my nerves would allow. It produced the worse mpg figures for mixed urban and motorway driving I have experienced and I am reluctant to ever pay the premium price again.

The trip mpg recorder is consistently reading low - on average 10% compared with the brim to brim manual calculation.

The last tank produced the longest predicted range to date (Odo miles plus DTE) is 591 miles (951 km)  but the actual predicted range would be 604 miles (972 km) if the 2.2% odo error is taken into account. The Venga tank is given as 48 litres but brimming can way exceed that.

I sense that the car is getting better mpg as I pile the miles on.

Lat week-end I had the need to do a round trip from Solihull to Witney near Oxford on two successive days. The total mileage is 142 miles (228 km) along the M42, M40 and dual carriageway A34 with a couple of miles of rural roads at each end.

On both occasions before leaving home I reset the mpg trip to measure the fuel consumption on each trip.

On Saturday I cruised at 55 mph (89 kph) taking great care to save fuel by accelerating gently when required and not using the cruise control. On getting back home the trip recorder indicated economy of 46.4 mpg (6.1 l/100k).

On Sunday I again reset the mpg trip before setting out and cruised at 65 to 70 mph (105 to 113 kph)  according to traffic conditions, also without cruise control but without paying particular attention to economy. On arriving back at home the trip recorder indicated economy of 38.6 mpg (7.31 l/100k).

I have established that the trip economy reading is 10% slow so the actual economy figures were probably 51 mpg (5.54 l/100k) and 42.6 mpg (6.63 l/100k) respectively.

My conclusion is that this is better than I expected before buying the car and is a graphic illustration that speed kills - economy.

However - trying to maintain 55 mph (89 kph) on a motorway is a total pain with lorries tailgating you etc. whereas keeping up with most of the traffic at 65 to 70 mph (105 to 113 kph) is far more comfortable and worth the extra cost.

Note

I posted this thread on the UK KIA forum a few days ago which has received 100 views but only one reply. This is a measure of how inactive the KIA forum is compared with this great forum. I don't know why I bother.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 12:41:27 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'm not going to post in this thread.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Neither am I unless I have something decent to say. :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

OK - be like that you grumpy buggers - just for that I shall not read your replies... :TutTut: :tease: :harhar:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 15:27:32 by AlanHo »

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
OK - be like that you grumpy buggers - jut for that I shall not read your replies... :TutTut: :tease: :harhar:

not read above so did you type something?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

OK - be like that you grumpy buggers - jut for that I shall not read your replies... :TutTut: :tease: :harhar:

not read above so did you type something?

Yes I did but I don't want anyone to notice.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Latest update for my 1.6 petrol manual Venga

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Can't complain about those figures. The "Overall" is nicely consistent. :goodjob2:

Nearly cracked the 50 in the last "OD Corrected" individual fill.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal