i30 Owners Club

i30 SR Fuel Economy With Intake & Exhaust

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
After fitting the Torcon 3" Aluminium intake with a K&N cone filter.
And having the original rear muffler removed & a custom dual resonator fitted. There are other threads showing both of those.
I done a fuel usage reading when I got to work this morning & then when I got home.
In the morning it is a pretty straight forward run in. With mainly 110kph & 110kph freeway. With a few 70kph & traffic lights.
On the way home it's a completely different story with peak hour. For around 20ks of that was 1st & 2nd gear stop start driving.
The rest is mainly around the 80 - 100 k/ph.  My car is a SR 1.6lt Turbo with Manual trans.
I drove the car normally with a few (Alright a couple) squirts of acceleration.
I didn't drive in anyway as an economy run. Just as I would normally drive the car.

This is in the morning on the way to work.

This is in the evening on the way home.

• PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nice! Thanks for sharing. My SR with DCT appears to calculate the mileage a bit optimistically with the trip PC. When I did a manual calculation after a recent 4850 kilometre  odd road trip it was about .2 litres per 100 kms higher.

Obviously you need to do it over an extended period to get a true picture, but that is certainly very impressive and not much higher than the non turbo 1.6 GDI versions!!  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That's good so far :goodjob2: What was the economy prior to the changes if using similar routes?  the ECU will slowly recalculate and settle in over the next few hundred km's since the changes you've done so best to compare with a prior tank of fuel to what you'll achieve with the next tank full.

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
It's right about the same as it was stock. It has always showed around the 6.0 to 6.5 l/100ks

Though the heavy peak hour traffic stop/start, 1st & 2nd gears.  It was sitting around the 8.0 l/100ks.
But once I got moving to 60 -80 k/ph. It started going down.   I do need to work out a calculation with fuel used at the pump.
But that can also be slightly inaccurate. As not all pumps will click to a stop at the same time. When I do fuel up.
I trip shows I have around a 700 klm range.

But I must say it does feel a lot more responsive when you put your foot down :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm quite surprised how much lower yours is than my DCT. In normal mode mine keeps the engine at 1500 rpm as much as possible in each gear and at highway speeds (110 kph) I think it is under or around 2500 rpm in 7th gear. I'll try and remember to check today. EDIT: Around 2400 RPM at an indicated 112 KPH.

Tassie is hillier than most mainland States which has a small impact of up to .5 Litres per 100 kms. But the DCT is supposed to be a very efficient transmission similar to, or better than a manual economy wise. 

Looking at this thread I averaged 6.7 by the trip PC which calculated out to just over 7 manually.

:link: Almost 5000 kilometres road trip in i30 SR

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Mine is sitting around the 6.6 litres/100 since I have owned it.  I wouldn't say that I am driving for economy either.
The dash readout shows when to change into the next gear, which is around 2000rpm for best economy.
But I'm always changing around the 2500 - 3500 range.   I do sit on the speed limit pretty much all the time though.
Though when I can I like to give it a bit up to "Around" the limit lol. 
The DCT is meant to be a more efficient transmission than the manual.  But only in an urban environment. According to Hyundai's website.
I'm sure mine sits around the 2500rpm in 6th at 110 kph.  I shall have to check that on the way into work tomorrow.

I didn't think that adding the intake, which I highly recommend. Would make any difference to the fuel economy.
If someone is, I think that they are putting their foot down more for the noise & performance. That's where the difference is.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I didn't think that adding the intake, which I highly recommend. Would make any difference to the fuel economy.
If someone is, I think that they are putting their foot down more for the noise & performance. That's where the difference is.
Agreed :goodjob2: driving style would be the biggest factor in fuel economy, a larger intake is only releaving flow restriction prior to the throttle body so only benefit mainly is slightly quicker response and minimal power increase, a larger bore throttle body would take advantage of the increased intake flow availablity though economy will take a small hit.

Doing the throttle body on mine was an easy upgrade though I don't have the turbo :(

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah so I edited my previous post. My DCT is doing around 2400 RPM at indicated 112 KPH. I guess there is not a lot in it when mine read 6.7 after the nearly 5000 km mainland trip. I'm showing 7.2 after about 3800 kilometres of Tassie driving since our return.  :cool:

Offline kazzae

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
Meanwhile here im thinking my 9.6l/100km in Sydney is good...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• 2017 i30 sr

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Manual?  I'm guessing driving style would make a bigger difference in a manual?

Offline kazzae

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales

Nah it's dct...maybe I just Hoon around too much haha.... I mean 9.6 is a big improvement from my other car which is an e46 m3...that thing uses 24-26l/100km

• 2017 i30 sr

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Nah it's dct...maybe I just Hoon around too much haha.... I mean 9.6 is a big improvement from my other car which is an e46 m3...that thing uses 24-26l/100km

:eek:

Do you drive in Sport mode? I use normal.  :cool:

Offline kazzae

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales

:eek:

Do you drive in Sport mode? I use normal.  :cool:
On occasion I do

• 2017 i30 sr

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I find sport a bit too peppy around town.  :undecided:

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Yeah so I edited my previous post. My DCT is doing around 2400 RPM at indicated 112 KPH. I guess there is not a lot in it when mine read 6.7 after the nearly 5000 km mainland trip. I'm showing 7.2 after about 3800 kilometres of Tassie driving since our return.  :cool:

Mine is pretty much bang on 2500 rpm at 110 kph..   
Something that I found interesting.  If I set the cruise control right on 100 kph, the instant fuel usage show 4.8 - 5.0 lt per 100 kph.  Flat road.
Speed up to 110 kph & the instant read out show 5.8 - 6.0 lt per 100 kph..  Almost a litre more per 100ks for just 10 kph faster.

I couldn't be more happier with the fuel economy with this car  :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yep. They are pretty good.  I think you have probably hit  the nail on the head with the speed versus economy thing. There is probably a higher % of 110 kph limited roads in Tassie than in Victoria and NSW. I tend to set my cruise to 114 kph on those roads (which is an actual 108/9 kph)

When we did the road trip from Melbourne to Kingscliff and Toowoomba in April, a lot of the roads were only 100 limit so I sat on 102 to 104 (I was a bit paranoid of getting a ticket in the mail) So it may have been the speed which made the .5 better fuel economy, more than the terrain.   

Even if actual (for me) is 7.5 L/100 kms I am still 1.5 Litres per 100 kms better off than my previous car, which offsets the shorter service intervals.

It also excellent that you can use E10 and 91 instead of forking out for premium.  :victory:

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Around 15 ks on my to work is in a 110 kph zone.  Same, when I can I set cruise at 115 kph
But some Perth drivers just like to sit in the right hand lane at just under 110 kph.
I'm kind of lucky that my drive into work, which is 68 klm one way. Is all pretty flat driving.
Which helps my fuel economy for sure..
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 09:05:18 by Purplehazeffc »

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Purplehazeffc
some Perth drivers just like to sit in the right hand lane at just under 1210 kph.

:scared: I would hope it's well under :scared:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Quote from: Purplehazeffc
some Perth drivers just like to sit in the right hand lane at just under 1210 kph.

:scared: I would hope it's well under :scared:

Well there is a typo if ever there is one  :confused: lol..       All fixed now   :whistler:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Around 15 ks on my to work is in a 110 kph zone.  Same, when I can I set cruise at 115 kph
But some Perth drivers just like to sit in the right hand lane at just under 110 kph.
Right lane drivers wouldn't be a bother if you weren't sitting on 115km :)

Watch out for Mandurah traffic cop's :whistler: Mundijong police station is up and running now as well so they're patrolling this end of the freeway more often.

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Oki Doki.
Filled you today, as it's always cheaper on a Monday here in Perth..
And I remembered to do a fuel calculation..    I had done 575ks & I filled it up to just over 40lts.
So in my calculation that is 6.95 lts / 100ks.    The dash redout was showing 6.6 lts / 100ks
Dash readout was still showing 125ks to empty.     I'm pretty happy about that...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Oki Doki.
Filled you today, as it's always cheaper on a Monday here in Perth..
And I remembered to do a fuel calculation..    I had done 575ks & I filled it up to just over 40lts.
So in my calculation that is 6.95 lts / 100ks.    The dash redout was showing 6.6 lts / 100ks
Dash readout was still showing 125ks to empty.     I'm pretty happy about that...

That's pretty much line ball with my DCT on our mainland Road trip. 6.7 on trip computer 7 by manual calculation. 

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal