i30 Owners Club

Grinding noise front right side

Offline SimplyWalksIntoMordor

• 1st Gear

• de Germany
Hello :)

got the i30 hatchback from Nov 2017, 1.0L 120 HP, 23.000km at the moment.
So, a few days ago, the car was outside when a sudden strong rain happened. So I quickly drove it inside the garage. Next morning, when I drove out again, it took the car a bit to take off and I heard a "Tonk" sound, somewhere from the wheels. Guess that was from the water on the breaks which got a bit glued on over night.
However, that's when I first noticed this grinding noise from the front right. Not sure if the loud Tonk and the grind is related, so dont focus on these two events.
Anyways, this grinding is rather subtile. First I thought it was some kind of air leaking, so I switched off all AC and ventilation. Noise was still there and I could identify it as something is shuffeling on something. The noise is there while in neutral and standing. Also its there when driving in any gear. However, while driving and I push the clutch, it goes away. The moment I re-engage the clutch, its back.
Been to Hyundai and had a test drive with the mechanic, but he said there is no unusual noise whatsoever. Everything is fine. Not sure if he actually hear the nosie, though^^ The sound excists, my gf and a colleague from work can hear it, so I am not crazy ;)

Anyone an idea what that could be?

• i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Sounds like the thrust (throwout) bearing.
But odd at that low mileage though.

Others more qualified than I am should chime in soon.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: I thought the same as Trevor. They can be a sometimes be heard in newish cars if you have sensitive hearing. No way I'd hear it now though (was the mechanic and older bloke?)

Can't explain how it would appear after moving it out of the rain though. I'd send an email to the Dealer outlining the issue with a copy to the Hyundai distributor for Germany stating you want it noted on the cars records in case it gets worse. Hopefully they will reply and that will give you a written record and may also trigger further investigation by the dealer.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The throw out bearing noise will vary when the clutch is engaged.
When clutch is not used, eg. driving in selected gear or idling in neutral, the bearing is stationary.
Not sure about the IL setup, but the 'tonk' was possibly a spring breaking. That spring is usually pulling on the clutch fork so that the bearing is sitting back from the pressure plate and not rotating.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

When clutch is not used, eg. driving in selected gear or idling in neutral, the bearing is stationary.
Not sure about the IL setup, but the 'tonk' was possibly a spring breaking. That spring is usually pulling on the clutch fork so that the bearing is sitting back from the pressure plate and not rotating.

Cheers Gary, It certainly helps when you know how these things work.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
That was sort of my point. If the bearing isn't sitting evenly, maybe it's  dragging slightly one side.
I had exactly that happen in my rally car once.
Clutch still worked fine but just a little scraping noise, only noticeable on transport stages when the revs were lower.  :whistler:
Much lower.
And my hearing was better.  :p

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :D
Most dulled senses make married life bearable.  :cool:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Another reason why I'm not in a hurry to get hearing aids.  :evil:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Unfortunately, my wife's hearing is perfect.  :scared:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

Luckily for you,   there's no audio on the forum   :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
 :mrgreen:

Luckily for you,   there's no audio on the forum   :lol:
:mrgreen:

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :wts:

It occurred to me that there is another  way for this noise to appear.

The clutch pressure plate is essentially a lot of movable fingers attached to a spring metal plate. The thrust bearing pushes down on said fingers.
They are self adjusting and over time  they gradually rise higher as the clutch plate wears down.

Now Ive had this happen several times. If that spring metal plate breaks ("Tonk") some or all of the fingers will be sticking up and making contact,and noise, with the thrust bearing.

The clutch may still work ok, but usually an experienced driver will  feel some difference.

• 1st Gear

• de Germany
That's a lot of responses, thanks already for that!!! :)
I actually hope it is not the clutch or somewhere near it. But it sounds reasonable what you guys say.
The "Tonk" noise, I thought, came more from the back or at least direction tires. If it was somewhere from the clutch, I would assume I'd hear it more from right next to me. I also did not expirience any change in how the clutch feels/behaves. That being said, I am not an experienced driver ;)
I will gladly try to look into this further.
Sadly, the Hyhundai mechanic already said "there are no unusual sounds". Any advice (other than chenge the guy/garage) on what he should do to check it further. I guess openening the clutch/gearbox isn't something they would do (for free) just because I hear something and people on this "interwebs" said so. The next service should also be a bit in the future.
I have a colleague who owns a ramp. What can I tell him to look for?
  • i30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
That's a lot of responses, thanks already for that!!! :)
I actually hope it is not the clutch or somewhere near it. But it sounds reasonable what you guys say.
The "Tonk" noise, I thought, came more from the back or at least direction tires. If it was somewhere from the clutch, I would assume I'd hear it more from right next to me. I also did not expirience any change in how the clutch feels/behaves. That being said, I am not an experienced driver ;)
I will gladly try to look into this further.
Sadly, the Hyhundai mechanic already said "there are no unusual sounds". Any advice (other than chenge the guy/garage) on what he should do to check it further. I guess openening the clutch/gearbox isn't something they would do (for free) just because I hear something and people on this "interwebs" said so. The next service should also be a bit in the future.
I have a colleague who owns a ramp. What can I tell him to look for?
Tonk from the back suggests handbrake sticking momentarily and could have been due to moisture. I don't think you mentioned from the rear originally.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

• 1st Gear

• de Germany
True, I did not mention that as my memory is fading a bit over that incident, sorry. But I also just think it was more from the back, standing in the garage, that Tonk could have been from everywhere.
Anyway, the points here made are helping me to narrow it down, very thankful for that :)
  • i30

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Look for that broken spring  :faint: because I think it is throw out bearing related, but I also think you may be over reacting.

The slight sound may not increase. If it gets serious you will eventually find the cause.

The clutch may fail. At times they break free, smash through the car floor and injure the passenger.

In Australia, this rarely leads to death.

Unfortunately, German drivers sit on the left side, so the shock of a flywheel impacting the testicles can lead to loss of consciousness and probably a major accident.

Best wishes and Good luck.  :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:Shocked: :faint: :crazy1:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal