i30 Owners Club

Help Please. 2009 I30 CRDI SLX Manual Gearbox issues

brams · 9 · 4262

Offline brams

• 1st Gear
The I30 has been wonderful since start and has already covered 81000 kms in 2 years time.
Since this sunday 11-Sep-11, I am unable to shift the gear into 1st and reverse.
When I try shifting to either 1st or reverse the gears just crunch. The only way I found was to switch of the engine, try and force it to 1st or reverse, Then start the engine.

I took the car to the Hyundai Dealer. After they checked it, they quoted me to change the clutch system and may be the flywheel!!!!!!!!!

That didn't sound right to me, This gear crunching only happens in the same position as the reverse and 1st share the position.

Has anybody experienced a similar issue.

Pip
Haven't heard of the problem but the diagnosis of a clutch problem sounds correct although I'd suspect the hydraulics.

The only way the gears can crunch is if they are moving when engaging. Only way they can move is if the de-clutch is ineffective.  I suspect the clutch is just grabbing a little, enough to spin the gears but not so much that changing gears once rolling shows a problem. It is possible to change gears without using the clutch at all, once rolling.

:welcome:

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Why is it that things like this are not being fixed under warranty? This doesn't necessarily sound like a wear issue. It's not like the clutch is slipping.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Why is it that things like this are not being fixed under warranty? This doesn't necessarily sound like a wear issue. It's not like the clutch is slipping.
We don't know where Brams is. I'm not sure all countries have the 5 year unlimited warranty we have. Then, of course, there's the old "brakes, clutches, glass, bulbs etc not included. :rolleyes:
I agree though, it sounds like hydraulics not pressure or driven plates.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
We don't know where Brams is. I'm not sure all countries have the 5 year unlimited warranty we have.

He/She is in Australia (Victoria I think)  :whistler:

Brams, by "quoted" do you mean at a cost or just telling you what they need to do to fix it?

Good luck with getting it sorted  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

• He loves nature in spite of what it did to him..
sounds like a hydraulic problem?  check the fluid level? or its quality? could even be air in the system?
  • SLX CRDI U2

Offline brams

• 1st Gear
Hi Guys, sorry about the late reply. I am from Victoria Australia and I am a HE.
The Hyundai dealer changed the clutch plate. I asked him to give me the old clutch back to me.
From looking at the old clutch I can only see small scratch marks and a lot on metal dust. So I am unsure why they changed it.
I will upload the pictures of the old clutch soon.

I am still not convinced that the clutch was the issue!!!!

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Did you have to pay our was it warranty repair?
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Did you have to pay our was it warranty repair?
I'm guessing if the dealer didn't keep it, it was  a pay job.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal