i30 Owners Club

Intermittent rotten-egg smell inside cabin from day-1 of new car purchase

Offline chaddyhyundai

• 1st Gear

• VIC
Ever since I bought my i30 in April 2015, it has had a problem of a 'rotten eggs' / sewer gas / sulphurous smells intermittently being experienced inside the cabin.  Hyundai suggested using different brand of fuel and higher octane rating fuels.  I have used every type of petrol brand and petrol octane rating, but the smell has refused to go away.  For years I only used BP Ultimate petrol because I thought it caused fewer occurrences of the smell than others, but it is only marginally better ( in terms of how often the smell occurs) than the cheaper Caltex Unleaded 91 which I am now using.  On the other extreme, Shell (91, 95 and V-Power 98) have the most occurrences of the smell, while Costco 91 and Mobil 91 petrol did not make the smell go away either.

Hyundai dealer said:
Diagnosis: Hot sulphur oxidise on catalytic converter causing smell
Advice: Suggest using different brand fuel and higher octane rating fuels.

Observations:
Smell comes from: Air outlet vents (instrument panel vents from where you get fan or air conditioner air delivery)
Smell is best described as: Sewer gas / rotten eggs sulphurous smell
How often: Can be as often as a couple of times a day, or not happen at all for a few days
For how long: A couple of seconds
Where: Has happened in all parts of Melbourne and outside of Melbourne, so it has had no relation to the surrounds

When this happens, the following have always been true:
The smell is not coming from the surrounds, it emanates from the car's air vents (we open the windows to reduce the smell)
The car is stationary and the engine is running (e.g., stopped at a traffic light or stopped in a parking bay or garage), or the car is moving (with or without cruise control on)
The blowers are always on (fan speed control is on a non-zero position); has happened at all settings of the blower temperature control, whether set to cold or warm or hot
The air conditioner may or may not be on; has happened at all settings of the air conditioner temperature control, whether set to cold or warm or hot
The air intake control could be set to the outside (fresh air) position or inside (recirculating) position

Has anyone else experienced the problem and successfully resolved it?

Has anyone returned their i30 back to the dealer because of Hyundai being unable to fix the problem?

Thanks!
  • 2014 GD (Trophy/SE) 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8lt, Auto, White

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Rotten Eggs OR Sewer smell?

If it's sewer smell (decomposing smell), given when/where it doesn't happen perhaps its bacteria in the aircon system.

In the UK we use one of these things to attack it. Single shot cans that recirculate round the car without you present inside!

:link: Halfords Air Con Purifier 150ml

If the smell is Hydrogen Sulfide (rotten eggs) then that needs more thought.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 07:42:53 by The Gonz »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Wow! Living with that for over 4 years.  :crazy2: You have been very patient!  :goodjob:

Can't recall many (if any) reports of similar in the 11 years this site has been active. We have had the odd report of smells but not usually in a new car and no mention of Surfur/rotten eggs...

As Lorian mentioned you can get something (a bit like an insect "bomb") to fumigate the ventilation system but not confident this will work in your case. Certainly worth a try though.

Don't know what else to suggest. Very frustrating for you.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Ever since unleaded fuel came in you get that smell from a car that's not running well. Often noticed in traffic.
But if it's your car causing it I don't think it should get into the ventilation system. Would be more obvious to the car behind you.
Your summary is very thorough so I'm sure you've considered this bit is it possible it's coming from cars around you?

All that aside, I'd give the aerosbomb a go first.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline chaddyhyundai

• 1st Gear

• VIC
Thanks.  It is a sulphurous (rotten eggs) smell, and the aircon system was ruled out as it's been coming from the time the car was new, and the smell varies depending on the petrol brand/type used.

Offline chaddyhyundai

• 1st Gear

• VIC
I am very sure the smell isn't from cars in front of me as I have had it in a stationary running car, as well as on the open highway with no other cars in proximity. 

Besides this 2014 i30, I have also noticed the same intermittent smell when I specifically use Shell Unleaded 91 petrol in my other car too, which is a 2007 Toyota Aurion.  Compared to the i30 which has the smell with every brand and type of petrol available in Australia, the good thing about the Aurion is that it does not have that smell at all when I use Caltex Unleaded 91 petrol.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Probably about time to run a tank or two of 98 just to clean out the whole system.

Offline chaddyhyundai

• 1st Gear

• VIC
I have run the i30 mainly on BP Ultimate (98) for much of the last 4 years - of all the petrol brands/types I have tried, BP Ultimate has the least occurrence of the said smell, but that still doesn't solve the problem.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hmm, at a loss for a reason with that.
Usually,  anything like that is self generated.  :whistler: :lol:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 07:44:50 by The Gonz »
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline chaddyhyundai

• 1st Gear

• VIC
LOL...but, this smell thing happens regardless of who is driving / inside the car:)  A few others have reported this problem in the i30 / Elantra...

1. :link: rotten egg smell from exhaust

2. https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2649238

3. :link: Rotten Egg/ Fart Smell | Hyundai Forums

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
LOL...but, this smell thing happens regardless of who is driving / inside the car:)  A few others have reported this problem in the i30 / Elantra...

1. :link: rotten egg smell from exhaust

2. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2649238

3. :link: Rotten Egg/ Fart Smell | Hyundai Forums

Interesting... I searched Sulfur and also Rotten (I think) without picking up that first one.. Still none the wiser.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
There is one other possible source.

Perhaps you have a battery that is producing gas.

Battery leaking? Battery tray wet/corroded?
Battery terminals corroded?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 19:05:18 by Lorian »

Offline chaddyhyundai

• 1st Gear

• VIC
Thanks - I did have the battery checked at Kmart Auto and at the Hyundai dealer recently - all OK with that.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal