i30 Owners Club

Broken Bluetooth on i30 2013 GD

noes_oh · 11 · 5410

Offline noes_oh

• 2nd Gear
2013 GD i30 Elite Diesel, just picked it up second hand and it has a weird issue with BT.

When I switch to a BT audio source, it's stuck on "Connecting media player".  Phone calls don't work either.  When I place a call my iPhone cuts back to 'phone'.  Switching to "Bluetooth" mid call has no audio coming out of the speakers and the headunit does not display the phone call being active.

Anyone seen this before?

I have tried radio factory reset, then I paired the BT again. Same problem.

Anything else I can try?

Everything else is fine (Radio, USB, Nav, GPS).
  • i30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
No solutions for you, but does it happen with other phones or makes? Check current  firmware and any updates available?

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I just had a look at my i40, for any clues.  I see an option to turn BT on, in my phone I see i40 and select that to connect, I have Samsung,

Seems strange it can pair but then not connect. Can you see the phone in the list of paired Devices on the Head Unit?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
maybe you could take some images of what is seen in the radio and menus, post them up, may trigger some ideas.

Offline noes_oh

• 2nd Gear
No solutions for you, but does it happen with other phones or makes? Check current  firmware and any updates available?

I just tried to pair it with a Pixel phone I have (Android) and it does the exact same thing as my iPhone X.

Below is my BT and Firmware version. 

Software Version: http://9.0.1.3
OS Version: 15E1203070
NNG_MAP Version: http://8.5.11.216699
Factory Map Version:
BT Version 2.8.6
Firmware Version 6.0.1_M_GD_5D_3_0

Question: Where do I obtain firmware binaries?  I have found an article that looks like it's simple enough to apply (USB key) but where do i get the version for my car from?

Seems strange it can pair but then not connect. Can you see the phone in the list of paired Devices on the Head Unit?

Yeah, super strange!  I went into list of all devices and even though I reset the head unit to factory defaults, it still showed all the old phones.  I went ahead and deleted all of these phones and repaired my iPhone X.  Same problem.

maybe you could take some images of what is seen in the radio and menus, post them up, may trigger some ideas.

One interesting thing, in phone mode, "Phonebook", "Calling lists" and "Speed dial" is greyed out. 

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 12:36:03 by noes_oh »
  • i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Re, the firmware part I've answered in your other topic, would have been easier to keep it all to the same topic imo.

With the Bluetooth, I'm guessing certain newer phones might not be backward compatible with the older generation of Bluetooth that was used on the early head units :undecided:

I don't remember hearing of quality issues with any of the early Nav units though the GD-01 non nav units were absolute rubbish.

Offline noes_oh

• 2nd Gear
Yeah mate, I am thinking it's the old bluetooth version as well (assuming this version I have is original).
  • i30

Offline noes_oh

• 2nd Gear
Minor update - I found my old Nexus 5 (made in 2013) and booted her up.  Good news! It worked and audio streamed fine.

This tells me it's more than likely a firmware or software problem then something broken. 

Still finding it hard to get any info on software/firmware for the old GD-01 NAV Units.
  • i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Note! the NAV units don't use the same model numbers as the standard GD's, your head unit model would not be a GD-01 which were the first units installed in the 2012-2013 base model i30's.

Your units model number would be LAN1050EHGD

Offline noes_oh

• 2nd Gear
Ohhhh!! Good call. So I'm running a GD-02 Nav unit on a GD?
  • i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Ohhhh!! Good call. So I'm running a GD-02 Nav unit on a GD?
No! Your running a LAN1050EHGD

GD-01-02-03-04 are all non navigation units.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal