i30 Owners Club

Shuddering when turning car off

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

• 2017 i30 Active 2.0lt in Fiery Red
    • Nessa Losing It...For Good
I've noticed over the past few days my car shudders when turning the engine off.  Is this normal?

Also, still haven't heard back from Hyundai regarding the brake clunking.  Am I likely to hear from them or bring it up at next service (15,000), which for me, won't be that far away.
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 PD Active Hatchback in Fiery Red

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I've noticed over the past few days my car shudders when turning the engine off.  Is this normal?

Normal or not, happens with mine too. Just get used to it I reckon
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr

ouri30
Why does it do it?

I think it is due to the high compression of a diesel engine.  Cut off the fuel and it stops turning over quickly due to the resistance of the compression and jerks to a stop very quickly.

All the diesels I have owned have done the same as have the tractors and buses I have driven over the years.

Am I correct about my  reasoning as to why?

Bob

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I saw a few youtube videos (linked to on my Toyota forum) which demonstrated the operation of the DMF (dual mass flywheel) that modern diesels use to smooth the engine between the long strokes.

As there is a counterbalancing spring that's constantly dampening the stroke change, it could be possible that that spring ceases to be effective during the final few revolutions of the engine, leading to the "shudder"

Just my guess.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I saw a few youtube videos (linked to on my Toyota forum) which demonstrated the operation of the DMF (dual mass flywheel) that modern diesels use to smooth the engine between the long strokes.

As there is a counterbalancing spring that's constantly dampening the stroke change, it could be possible that that spring ceases to be effective during the final few revolutions of the engine, leading to the "shudder"

Just my guess.

Gee Shambles for a confessed "non-mechanic" thats a pretty good description  :eek: :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
It's just what I remembered from the youtubes

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Strange , i don't notice my CRDi shudder when i turn off probably cause the only other diesel's i ever drive are trucks and they do the normal diesel simmy shake when they turn off but the i30 just seems to stop, but electronic injection the trucks are mechanical so probably slower to shut fuel off.
maybe your motor idles faster than mine?
i think if your motor idled a bit faster it could happen.
i can't see a problem.

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

Same here..  :neutral:

P.S.: "Ladybug" nice nick  :wink:

Hvala  :P

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Yesturday i payed more attention, and yes mine does shake when turn it off but it's not very noticible, if i did not pay attention i would not notice. most other diesels i've driven shake more noticibly and you can not ignore it, you always notice, but this is nothing in comparition. does not bother me.
in old days, with carb cars, if they got pre ignition and when you turned them off they kept runing, that was a real pain!
cheers

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Agree with you guys, most diesels shudder when switching off, I also attribute this to the high CR.

Pikapolonica, is that 'Angel' in your avatar?  My missus is in love with him - I can handle Buffy but his own show is so cheesy I dont know how it got on air to be honest?

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

Agree with you guys, most diesels shudder when switching off, I also attribute this to the high CR.

Pikapolonica, is that 'Angel' in your avatar?  My missus is in love with him - I can handle Buffy but his own show is so cheesy I dont know how it got on air to be honest?

Yes it is.  Never watched Angel or Buffy.  I love him in Bones.

Offline reecho

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
The i30 has a butterfly valve in the intake that closes when the key is switched off to reduce the shake on shutdown...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal