i30 Owners Club

Smoke on cold start-up with CRDI

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

• White I30 CW SX CRDI with Cruise
I' happy to say that there has been no hint of the blue smoke issue since the young techi did his thing with the fuse replacement for the glow plug.

We've had some frosty nights lately and not smoke at all on startup.

So I consider the problem solved and thank all forum inputers for helping me to persist till it was solved.

It got a good workout too with my recent supplies trip towing and carrying over 1 tonne of stock in the trailer and wagon below... and it towed suberbly!... with no need even for gear changes (out of fouth) up several steep hills between Bendigo & Melbourne.
Mind you it does chew through the juice if I keep it at 110km all the way... but much better at 90-100km.

A top little performer workhorse the CRDi.... and hope to get 1/2 a million kms from it during the next 10 years... :mrgreen:

I've attached some shots of the trailer (hope they come out...) and genuine i30 towbar which I'm impressed with as far as ease and neatness but the rattling was driving me crazy till I wrapped the stem in some tape.

Terry H

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good on you Terry .. Nice post and great news the smoke has gone...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
The towbar looks good. I don't want to do any towing with it but it would be good for a bit of rear end protection......
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The towbar looks good. I don't want to do any towing with it but it would be good for a bit of rear end protection......

My tow bar is a genuine Hyundai as well but looks different to yours (although I had the same issue with rattling...)

(The socket is now on top of its bracket so it doesn't get scraped on the ground and it is a fairly ordinary photo taken last year with a phone)

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

Yeh Dazz it seems they've shifted the numberplate on later models and they actually cut out a section of the bumper to fit the towbar higher up it would seem.

Terry H

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeh Dazz it seems they've shifted the numberplate on later models and they actually cut out a section of the bumper to fit the towbar higher up it would seem.

Terry H

Or is it just the wagon with the numberplate on the hatch? I'll have to check that out...

Offline michael_i30

• 2nd Gear

• Central Coast, NSW, Australia

My tow bar is a genuine Hyundai as well but looks different to yours (although I had the same issue with rattling...)

(The socket is now on top of its bracket so it doesn't get scraped on the ground and it is a fairly ordinary photo taken last year with a phone)

My towbar is the same as your one Dazz.  Wonder what the difference is ?  Maybe different rating for weight or something ?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
all look ok i would not like a higher mounted number plate, does anyone know what a tow bar fitted wired costs now? i need one.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

all look ok i would not like a higher mounted number plate, does anyone know what a tow bar fitted wired costs now? i need one.

I think you will find it would be somewhere between $500 and $700 for genuine (but probably be less than half that through one of your contacts...)  :D

Offline michael_i30

• 2nd Gear

• Central Coast, NSW, Australia

I can dig up the work sheet for mine...  Wasn't cheap though.  $700 ish rings a bell

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
i'll ask at a tow bar place, there are a few around that made them, some just get haymen & reese ( thats what the square looking tow bar looks like (H&R ) but can see most of cost is fitting as need to remove a lot to just get were you mount it.

lindlake
i'll ask at a tow bar place, there are a few around that made them, some just get haymen & reese ( thats what the square looking tow bar looks like (H&R ) but can see most of cost is fitting as need to remove a lot to just get were you mount it.

i got my hayman reese fitted for $400 and there are only 2 bolts to undo to take it off

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks Lindlake, that sounds like a more reasonable price for a quality pruduct!
what state are you in again?

lindlake
Thanks Lindlake, that sounds like a more reasonable price for a quality pruduct!
what state are you in again?

vic i got the tow bar from near dandenong

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks, i'll have to go see what i can find from a HR stockist in syd.
do you know what the load raiting of your tow bar is? just worried that you said it is held in place by two Bolts, always thought most use four bolts but as i have not seen one. i'll go and look.
thanks for your help!

lindlake
Thanks, i'll have to go see what i can find from a HR stockist in syd.
do you know what the load raiting of your tow bar is? just worried that you said it is held in place by two Bolts, always thought most use four bolts but as i have not seen one. i'll go and look.
thanks for your help!

1200 kg tralier weight  75 kg  tow bar

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks again thats great, think i only need to tow 750KG possibly 800KG short trips.

lindlake
Thanks again thats great, think i only need to tow 750KG possibly 800KG short trips.

i have tow over 1.5 ton on this tow bar

[deleted]

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

In relation to the smoke issue ...

I was following a 1.9 Astra diesel today and when he accelerated hard.. he blew quite a bit of grey smoke?

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

Was that 'blue-grey' smoke or 'brown-grey' smoke dazz? :D

Terry H

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Think it was just grey-grey smoke (no hint of brown - so if hard pressed I'd say blue-grey) if that makes sense  :D

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
Think it was just grey-grey smoke (no hint of brown - so if hard pressed I'd say blue-grey) if that makes sense  :D
That's pretty standard when you give it a heap of welly - the computer is just fuelling the motor up hard. Given a CRD (even a stoopid Astra) will pull up to 5000rpm, which is quite a bit different to the older diesels, you are less likely to get thick clouds of black smoke as the engine lugs under load.

Also, automatic Astra diesels (which is most of them) have a DPF, which would substantially reduce the amount of black soot coming out the back.

DPFs also have a regeneration phase, in which they actually burn off the particulates that they have captured. Depending on the circumstances that can make a little bit of smoke.

The regeneration phase can be triggered by full throttle, so that's a possibility.

At the end of the day, even though Common Rails have a lot of technology and have been refined, diesel is a less refined fuel and will be more prone to smoking.

For the record, we used to receive vehicles off the trucks from the distributors making blue smoke. It's not the end of the world, especially if it goes away when it's warmed up a little. Glad to hear Terry's car came good with what the dealer did.

Ref. the tow bar issue, Hyundai don't actually design their cars to tow extensively, and really I wouldn't tow much more than a small trailer with the i30. You're unlikely to have a serious problem, but it's not going to do the body (or the drivetrain) a lot of good.

For the sake of your warranty, I would not use anything other than a genuine Hyundai bar. I believe that Hayman Reese actually may make the genuine bar for Hyundai, and Hayman Reese make great products, but just be aware that if you fit a non-genuine accessory to your car and it can possibly seem that it caused a problem then you will lose your warranty. Even if it seems unreasonable, this is the risk you run. Towing is a real issue for manufacturers and I have seen major failures caused, and warranties voided, by the use of non-genuine equipment or the overloading of genuine equipment. Given that the i30 is a passenger car and doesn't have a chassis as such, towing puts a stress on it that it wasn't really designed for. It's a good idea to make it as easy for the car as possible. Having said that, I have seen footage of Getzes being used regularly to tow caravans in the UK.

Suffice to say I wouldn't buy one of those second-hand!  :eek:

Just my two cents. Sorry it's such a big post, this is (believe it or not) the first time I've looked at this thread.  :wink:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just my two cents. Sorry it's such a big post, this is (believe it or not) the first time I've looked at this thread.  :wink:

All good (interesting) stuff m8  :wink:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks MRH130, good post, i think i'll keep my falcon Ute for towing as it does not seem to notice towing and fuel economy does not change much at all 10 to 14L 100K

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
Thanks MRH130, good post, i think i'll keep my falcon Ute for towing as it does not seem to notice towing and fuel economy does not change much at all 10 to 14L 100K

Thanks Lakes, and if your ute is a BA (which I seem to remember you saying somewhere) it has a half chassis so it's going to be plenty strong enough, and towing, as you have noticed, isn't really going to worry the drivetrain very much.   :wink:

lindlake
same here i have a new engine in my hilux now so i will not have to use the i 30 for towing

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
they are good for keeping other cars from bumping you when parking. did you find out what went wrong with the LPG Diesel? and have you still got the LPG on it? we have many LPG diesel bus's in syd they use natural gas but same thing.

lindlake
it was not the lpg that cause my engine to go bang it was a faulty piston i have been told off 3 engine that have the same fault but no d/gas on them  all 05 i have now a 06 engine

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Hello,

I think (hope) I have the same issue as written few posts ago.

Today, when I started the car blue smoke "came out" of the exhaust. It happened right after starting the car (which btw didn't start easily - it felt like it will "die" but it managed to work on). After 2 seconds there was no smoke coming out.. The temp is/was around 0°C.

I've also noticed that lately (especially when the temps were around -5, -10 or -15°C) it doesn't start as nice as before or as in warmer days. Sometimes it sounds like it will turn off or shakes a bit,..

So..I'll call my dealer tomorrow probably, but just wanted to ask for your opinion before doing that? The car is 1 year and 1 month old and has around 55.000 kms.. It would be weird if the glow plugs were the issue at those km's but I sure hope they are  :)
Oh..and could it be due to bad fuel? I had to stop on our biggest and almost only fuel distributors (we only have 2 or 3 in Slovenia) last day and which is known as not really great one (had some quality issues).

Thanky, have a nice day/night and..happy New Year  :wink:

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

• Kent England. 1.6CRDI Premium
Hi accim

Just a thought, when you start the car do you wait the 2-3 seconds for the glow warming light to go out on the dashboard before cranking the engine? But may be bad fuel.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal