i30 Owners Club

Smoke on cold start-up with CRDI

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Hi accim

Just a thought, when you start the car do you wait the 2-3 seconds for the glow warming light to go out on the dashboard before cranking the engine? But may be bad fuel.

Wouldn't huirt to change fuel supplier anyway, maybe it has poor cold weather/waxing problem.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Yap, I wait till the light goes off (these days it takes about 3 seconds). I went to other (my usual) gas station today and we'll see tomorrow. And yes also..today I had no problems - no smoke on start (so far), neither did the engine sound/run strange.

Offline MelWA

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      W.A.

• MY09, SLX CRDI, Moonlight Blue, 5sp man
Hubby started the i30 up the other morning and said there was heaps of BLUE smoke  :eek:  It didn't happen again over the next few days.  I've booked the car in for its 12 month/15,000km service and mentioned the smoke.  The girl who took my service booking said to keep an eye on it.  How I'm supposed to do that when the car isn't being driven and we aren't there, I don't know.  Will see what happens when we go back to Perth next week and start the car up.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Might be a bad batch of fuel or something....I'm sure it will be fine... :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
It's not unleaded is it  :question::wink:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
on another note, someone gave me a new magazine yesturday, was an American publication, mostly for large SUV's called Diesel World, even had diesel powered motorcycles. there was a lot of diesel tuning and performance ad'd mostly for 7.2 V8 turbo Diesels ( Chev Dodge & Fords ) one company was called Black Cloud Performance, they like a good strong  Black Cloud when they hit the fuel.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i cant say that ive ever seen a diesel fire up cold ,and not blow smoke.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline i30mania

• 3rd Gear

• tr Turkey
      Istanbul,Turkey

• Proud Owner Since 2007
Would you please check Glow Plug Fuse (80A) ?
Just check it in the engine compartment.
  • Opel Insignia 1.6Turbo

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Would you please check Glow Plug Fuse (80A) ?
Just check it in the engine compartment.
:P
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
I think i30mania was suggesting to check the glow plug fuse in the engine compartment.  Could be a possible cause of smoke on startup.

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

• White I30 CW SX CRDI with Cruise
Sorry to butt in when I haven't been here for so long... but my blue smoke on startup... as mentioned earlier in my post - and with my new car, was caused by the blown glowplug (fuse?) which was in turn caused by some shield touching where it shouldn't and shorted it out.
The shield was adjusted, the glow plug (fuse?) replaced and no smoke from then on.

One service centre picked it up... the other did not and tried to convince me that all diesels do this and it's normal... or I had a bad fuel supplier.

Terry

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You are most welcome Terry.. thanks very much for the update...I would have had gr8 delight in letting the other service agent know the successful outcome  :wink: :mrgreen:

Offline reecho

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Normally that smoke is caused by not enough pre-heating i can demonstrate this with my car if i don't allow the proper glow time first thing in the morning.

Offline penak

• 2nd Gear
In diesels, even a very modern common rail unit, a blue smoke should be very alarming.

Normally diesels should not exhibit blue smoke even with worn out valve stem seals that are the normal reason for blue smoke on petrol engines.
A diesel would just burn the engine oil just like the diesel fuel.

Did you know that a diesel that leaks engine oil into combustion chamber can even self destruct by runaway rpm's?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

In diesels, even a very modern common rail unit, a blue smoke should be very alarming.

Normally diesels should not exhibit blue smoke even with worn out valve stem seals that are the normal reason for blue smoke on petrol engines.
A diesel would just burn the engine oil just like the diesel fuel.

Did you know that a diesel that leaks engine oil into combustion chamber can even self destruct by runaway rpm's?

Good job that's not what the issue is then.

The smoke on startup isn't alarming, it seems pretty normal on an i30 if you don't allow the glowplugs to work, either through faulty fuse or over-eager starting.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Normally that smoke is caused by not enough pre-heating i can demonstrate this with my car if i don't allow the proper glow time first thing in the morning.

I don't ever (remember) to let the glow plug light go out but have never had the smoke issue - mind you it might be different in colder climates... Can't imagine Perth WA ever getting THAT cold...

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I don't ever (remember) to let the glow plug light go out but have never had the smoke issue - mind you it might be different in colder climates... Can't imagine Perth WA ever getting THAT cold...

Its defintely needed in colder temperatures.

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
It took me two i30s to figure it out. On my first i30 I noticed smoke coming out during a morning startup on a few occasions, and not all the time. I couldn't figure this one out, even after reading posts like these. I was resigned to the possibility that it might be premature wear and tear. So when I sold the first car and got the second i30 I noticed it happened again just after my first service. Then it clicked. I almost always got in the car and started her up straight away (and without even thinking about it), without waiting for the glow plug to complete its 3 second cycle. From then on I wait for the glow plug light to disappear before starting and no smoke has appeared since. As simple as that. I extrapolated that the colder it gets in the morning the more important it is to rely on the glowplug to heat the fuel. Just passing on some knowledge based on my experience of owning 2 i30s.

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      South West Rocks, NSW, Australia

• i30's are being seen everywhere....
Hi all, been reading all the posts on this topic with interest, very lengthy thread!

Had my new CRDi for just two weeks now and noticed after the first few days there is a cloud of 'White' smoke on cold start up. It is interesting to read so many people are mentioning blue or black smoke but mine definitely is a 'White' smoke which, I am told, indicates unburnt diesel. I have booked the car to looked at next Tuesday as the dealer wants it overnight so they can do a cold start and analyse it from there. I'll let you know what the findings are because clearly this is a bit of an issue for some diesel owners.
Couldn't be happier with the my i30 I have to say, just like to resolve the smoke issue if possible, doesn't look good when you have a great new car and you drive away in a cloud of 'white smoke...' :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hope it gets sorted Opa... Cloud of white smoke  :eek:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Yeah, doesn't sound quite right, I only get a small bluish puff for a second or two if I start up, and only when it's a) cold and b) I forget to wait 2 seconds for the glow plugs to warm up before ignition.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah, doesn't sound quite right, I only get a small bluish puff for a second or two if I start up, and only when it's a) cold and b) I forget to wait 2 seconds for the glow plugs to warm up before ignition.

Yes same here...(and very rarely at that)

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia

Thanks all for your comments.

Had the problem checked out today and the diagnosis is we have a faulty Glowplug relay which will have to be replaced. So, no major drama!
Won't get the part until Friday they said, meaning it will have to wait until next week to get fitted which should only take about half an hour. The car runs really well so I am not concerned and will let you know if anything more comes of it. :cool:

Cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good news Opa ...that it was nothing serious.. :razz:

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia

Thanks for that.
Interesting thing is the service manager drives a CDRi i30 as well and has clocked 30k km in just over 6 months. That's a lot of driving, but he says he loves it, gotta be a good thing!  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for that.
Interesting thing is the service manager drives a CDRi i30 as well and has clocked 30k km in just over 6 months. That's a lot of driving, but he says he loves it, gotta be a good thing!  :D

That's a great recommendation (I do about 30,000kms per YEAR) and I thought that was a lot!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I just clicked over 50,000 kms today in my diesel i30. I took delivery on April 15th last year.
Love it more now than ever  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I just clicked over 50,000 kms today in my diesel i30. I took delivery on April 15th last year.

Hi Dave,

So that's close to 45,000 p.a.  :eek: (You obviously aren't using any of your other cars much) :wink:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Hi Dave,

So that's close to 45,000 p.a.  :eek: (You obviously aren't using any of your other cars much) :wink:

No, not very much :wink:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Pol1on1

• 2nd Gear
yer we get a lot of gray/white smoke on start-up when we use bio-diesel and in australia i think it only 15% bio  :D so we use normal diesel
(bio as in they add plant oil)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal