i30 Owners Club

XPower Kit

CraigB · 75 · 24161

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My kit finally arrived today :happydance: took longer than expected so wont be able to get it installed until May the 8th because of the Anzac weekend hold up :Pout:

Be interesting to see the improvements first hand from this nice little kit when it's done as the dyno graphs only show the benefits on the Korean 103PS version 1.6ltr compared to mine being a 135PS.

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Where's the rest of it? have you got some nice tubular pipes to go with it
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:05:22 by Johnno »
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It's a spacer kit, why would there be any more  :whistler:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
That won't fit... You don't have 8 cylinders
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
the translator doesn't translate much on their site, just shows a graph with a 11hp increase, from a set of gaskets, yeah right

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
the translator doesn't translate much on their site, just shows a graph with a 11hp increase, from a set of gaskets, yeah right
You obviously have no idea how spacer kits work :rolleyes:

It's also a 12PS increase( metric horsepower ) for the 103PS version engine, different results to what I should see though still good all the same.

Don't know what website your looking at but Sharkracing is in English :link: Gamma 1.6 Engine EX-Power Intake Spacer Kit - Shark Racing :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:23:43 by CraigB »

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
matter of fact I do Craig, they've been around ages, especially on the American seen and most likely in Aus as you use a lot of the chevy small blocks compared to us in the Uk, what I'm questioning is the 11 hp jump claim from a 100 or so hp engine when they are only managing about that same amount of gain on engines that are about 250 to 350hp

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The big gain is possible due to Hyundai's poor flow through there intake manifolds and Shark racing have been able to put the extra time in to cure/ fix an issue that should have been better tested in the first place.

You get much more gain than that when working with V8's, we used carbie spacers in all our road and drag cars and some of the results were up to 80 HP, even more when using av gas :D

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
yep I can believe that on the carbie spacer's, did have a play around with a mates V6 years ago but we also widened the spacer  and the intake, he said it did make a difference but he never got it dyno'd. On my astra i reworked the inside of the top hat trying to give it more air volume sanding it out and smoothing the bore instead of fitting a spacer. Like you say if the engine as poorly designed air flow then it should make a difference

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Have you ever thought of lightening the flywheel won't give you any increases but it will make the engine rev more freely, as the saying goes every little bit helps.

Also if your improving the intake air flow you should have a look at the air flow out, better exhaust system

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It's the same with most factory built cars, they're built to a budget, that's why after market companies put thousands of hours of testing into things like throttle bodies - induction kits - spacer kits - extractors as all these will improve on what you get factory standard.

If the car makers had to put those sort of testing and development hours into all those extra parts they would need to triple the cost of the cars.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Have you ever thought of lightening the flywheel won't give you any increases but it will make the engine rev more freely, as the saying goes every little bit helps.

Also if your improving the intake air flow you should have a look at the air flow out, better exhaust system
Lightening the flywheel would be expensive and only of use if looking at competition use, also an immediate void of warranty as would the extractors, not much point changing the exhaust from the cat back until the extractors can be done as there isn't enough gain.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:08:17 by CraigB »

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer

It's also a 12PS increase( metric horsepower ) for the 103PS version engine, different results to what I should see though still good all the same.

You'd need the kit to make up the difference between metric HP and "Imperial" HP. In this case less is less.

BTW, i have NEVER seen HP refered to as being either Metric or British by any car manufacturer. It's 10 f/lbs difference !!!
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You'd need the kit to make up the difference between metric HP and "Imperial" HP. In this case less is less.

BTW, i have NEVER seen HP refered to as being either Metric or British by any car manufacturer. It's 10 f/lbs difference !!!
The difference between PS and HP is minimal, my car is 135 PS = 133hp.

Metric or British...I have no idea what you're talking about, PS is metric and all Korean care are measured in metric scale, as for the lbs difference it is 7.2 ft.lb =1 kg.m torque increase on the 103PS version 1.6ltr with 10+HP
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 11:33:34 by CraigB »

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire

Dave f/lbs is a reference used for Torque or Nm if metric

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer

Dave f/lbs is a reference used for Torque or Nm if metric

Sorry ..... f.lbs/s.

Anyway, it should have been in watts, but i was eating a sausage roll when i replied. 

So 1HP (British) = 745 W,    1HP (Metric) = 735 W

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
So 1HP (British) = 745 W
In the motoring world that would be 0.745kw ( kilowatts ), 1kw roughly equals 1.34HP :)

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Or 0,0745 Mw  :winker:

And, a number of manufacturers mention the kw's but not the HP's, which means us older types have to keep converting to find out just how much power the engine delivers, unless it's an electric motor, in which case kw's would be the norm.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it  :exclaim:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 13:18:55 by Wingerdave »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

And, a number of manufacturers mention the kw's but not the HP's, which means us older types have to keep converting to find out just how much power the engine delivers, unless it's an electric motor, in which case kw's would be the norm.

The change to kw's happened in the late 80's early 90's, it wasn't to hard to grasp but us Aussies are a smart bunch :D are you lot still using miles as well :snigger:

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer

The change to kw's happened in the late 80's early 90's, it wasn't to hard to grasp but us Aussies are a smart bunch :D are you lot still using miles as well :snigger:

Nah, only Britain is hanging on in quiet desparation (bit of Pink Floyd there). They use everything all mixed up together. You buy fuel in liters and then work out miles per gallon. It's much easier to just go metric but they have some hang ups about it for some reason.

Maybe it's because going abroad on holiday wouldn't have the same romantic feel about it if everything was the same.

As per the change to kw's, it was much later over here as far as Johnny Public was concerned.
Most people i speak to see kw's as how much something cost's to run (demand as opposed to supply).

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It's not just Britain, the Yanks are hard set against changing too.

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Yes it's confusing, everytime someone mentions cm or mm I have to get my phone out and use the app to change it into inch's or feet and yet with Km's I'm quite happy with because when I was driving the tachograph was in Km's not mph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Just picked the car up after having the X Power kit installed and guess what! it works :happydance:

You can immediately notice the difference with not having to drop the pedal as much as what I was used to, much smoother throughout the rev range and none of the tugging feed back that was noticeable at mid throttle, now I just need to do a tank refill to see how the mileage fares.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Great to hear Craig!  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Well, that's one good thing that happened today.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
What bad things happened today, I dared to ask........?   :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
See the other thread  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Well, that's one good thing that happened today.  :goodjob2:
Got to be happy with that I suppose :p

Offline Gibbo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mount Isa
great stuff mate - you've been on a bit of a spending spree! Are you going to try the CAI again with the Xpower kit? I would be interested to see if you get any further gains or not. I am thinking some engine mods are going to be next on my list... although that body kit is calling my name...Decisions decisions!!! :) keep up the great work and reviews mate. Oh also was it a difficult install for the power kit ?
  • GD i30 SE 3 Door, Petrol 1.6L 6 Spd Manual, Sleek Silver

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yes I'll be trying the intake again at some point, it should make some difference as that alone helped with performance also...not sure if I'll try and come up with another style or use what I have laying around here, the plan was to test some panel filters using a friends dyno but he's sold the shop :Pout:

I had a mechanic friend around the corner fit the spacers for me, it would cost me more to buy the torque wrench than what he wanted to fit it :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal