i30 Owners Club

Fuel Filling Problem

Nev75 · 20 · 5606

Offline Nev75

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, South Australia
Howdy All,

I went for my first fuel fill up the other day. The bowser kept on stopping cos it thought it was full. I only managed to get a few litres in and thought maybe because I was using the wrong pump (it was a "high flow" diesel which I assume is for trucks ?) . I also realised it was just the standard BP diesel, not the ultimate, so it didnt worry me not being able to get much in there.

Later that day I went to a BP with ultimate diesel. The same filling problem occured. I tried pulling the nozzle away from the hole a little, but it still stopped after a second. I eventually found an angle which worked ... I held the nozzle back a bit, and also held it downwards. That did the trick thank goodness, especially considering the tank was close to empty.

Does anyone else have this problem? Just trying to suss out whether this is a normal thing, or could there be something wrong.

Nev

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Sounds like you are running into the foaming issue.  Diesel tends to foam up when filling - not quite so bad when it is going directly into a tank like on a truck, but when it has to go down the filling neck, the foam is quite a problem.  I thought the ultimate diesel had anti-foaming agents added - maybe not.  Unfortunately you have to stop the bowser, wait 30 sec or so for the foam to settle down, then continue - if you want to fill it completely that is.  I go to a truck stop thats unmanned and doesnt have too many people waiting so I can take my time.  Hope this helps!

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Had that issue on previous car (petrol) and that was sorted by changing the angle I held the pump (much like you had to do).

Never had the problem with Fergie, except when she's almost full as Lucifer said...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Nev,

I definitely haven't had that problem.. wonder if you filler neck is out of alignment I'd get it checked at the 1000km service (inspection.. :rolleyes:)

I can poke mine right in and squirt in 40 litres or so then back the trigger off a bit and let the last 10 or 15 litres sneak in...The wife's tiida is more touchy that way.

Cheers,
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Nev75

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
Thanks everyone,

I doubt it's the foaming issue cos the tank was near empty and I'd only started filling up. The bowser was stopping immediately.

Will get it checked at the 1000 inspection ...

Thanks all.

Offline Nev75

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
Just found this thread here where a couple of others have the same problem:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,2226.0.html

whitbomb07 uses the same technique as myself to make it flow properly.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi Nev, were are you mate? just asking as have not seen BP ultimate Diesel yet, but i use Caltex Vortex Diesel, and it is noticibly easier to fill than with normal diesel as less foaming.
i filled up to the very top on friday. i set the trigger to hold it filled to within 10L of full then i pull the nozzle out more tilt the handle down more so can watch the fuel come out into the filler neck, i back off as the fuel comes up the neck i try to just give it enough to keep the fuel near the top and add enough to repace shrinking foaming fuel, i do the same with normal diesel but with the premium it does not have as much foam and the foam turns to liquid fast. i filled it up quick my light was not on but i got 54L in to the brim. i'm going up the mountains today about 500 k round trip so wanted the tank full.
cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Geez you get around John  :eek: (Can't believe I'm keeping pace with your mileage)

Hi again Nev..

That search function is very handy.. forgot about that previous posting (that's the beauty of a site like this...) :D

Offline Nev75

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
Howdy Lakes, I'm in SA ... BP Ultimate Diesel is quite common here now. I think maybe BP hit the SA market early before any other competitors brought in their own premium diesel.

In my case it's not a foaming issue ... the bowser stops within a second or two of trying to fill an empty tank

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Since I found a servo that only stocks Caltex Vortex, I've found filling it much easier. Can definitely get more in more easily and am now consistently getting between 1000 & 1100 kms per tank around town.
Getting the 15,000 km service done this week.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline kittikat

• 6th Gear
  • Purrrrfect (AKA Radar...)

• au Australia
      Sunbury, Vic
I have only done 700ks in my car as yet and have not had to fill up.  I am getting very nervous after reading some of the post about 'foaming' and 'fast fill' pumps.  Please tell me that it isn't as bad as it sounds!  :eek:  I would be grateful for any advice or tips that come my way.  I have about 150 kms til fill, so I will be looking at about Wednesday for the big event.  I may have to take my husband with me.  Not that he is any help, but I won't feel so foolish if I have company.
  • Dark Knight Kona Highlander 1.6l turbo aka Connor

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Hi Kittikat

It's really only an issue if you are OCD and like filling to the brim, other wise just fill it till the pump clicks off, maybe wait a few seconds to get a little more then go in and pay!

However if you do do it this way you will only have 45ish litres in the tank so range per tank won't be as good, the choice is up to you.

Fast flow pumps are exactly that, the fuel flows out faster, which can mean faster filling time (dependent on if the sensor keeps clicking off if it thinks the tank is 'full' when it's just to much fuel in the neck.) these can normally be identified by some sort of tag on the bowser and a much wider nozzle.

Hopefully that's enough info to put your mind at rest, if not please feel free to ask more.

Regards

Daniel

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hey Kitti don't worry your little heart about "foaming". It manifests itself as a premature clicking off at the bowser/pump. Nothing will spill out. When the pump shuts off you can hear the gurgling as the foam settles; after about 10 secs waiting you can then get another 2 litres in. And then again. And then again.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have only done 700ks in my car as yet and have not had to fill up.  I am getting very nervous after reading some of the post about 'foaming' and 'fast fill' pumps.  Please tell me that it isn't as bad as it sounds!  :eek:  I would be grateful for any advice or tips that come my way.  I have about 150 kms til fill, so I will be looking at about Wednesday for the big event.  I may have to take my husband with me.  Not that he is any help, but I won't feel so foolish if I have company.

It's o/k kittikat.. It's not that bad.. But I suggest you have some baby wipes or something in your car just to wipe your hands with after filling because diesel is more oily than petrol it tends to get on the pump handle a bit..

If you drive until the light goes on you will easily fit 50 litres in.

Stick the nozzle in and queeze as hard as you like for the first forty litres or so then reduce the trigger pressure to about half and it should fill ok.. if it clicks off a couple of times and you get 48 litres or more in then you've done o/k

Many of us like to keep going until we've squeezed 55 or more litres i so we can easily go 1000 or 1100 kms or even more without visiting a pesky garage..

Offline kittikat

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Sunbury, Vic
Thanks for the advice guys.  :D  I am feeling a little more confident now.  I had visions of foam spilling out of the fuel tank.  Must be my vivid imagination (which matches my vivid blue car!)  I got some gloves with the car, but I think the baby wipes might be a better idea. I will report back later in the week, hopefully with news that it all went well.  Thanks again.

Offline Bear

• 1st Gear
Hi Guys. Slightly off the topic and probably discussed before somewhere else, but I was wondering if there is any problem with using what I think is called bio diesel? Up here in Brisbane there is Freedom Fuels, which I unknowingly filled up at using their diesel and then as I got back into the car realised that it said something on the bowser about being a bio diesel. I have since used that tank-full of petrol with no obvious decline in performance or economy. But is this ok to use? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks  :)

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
I have since used that tank-full of petrol with no obvious decline in performance or economy. But is this ok to use?

I'd be worried if it were petrol.......  :lol: :lol: or if your driving a petrol car and you've put biodiesel in?

As for biodiesel, according to the manual up to 5% bio diesel blends are suitable for the engine. I have no mechanical knowledge so I'm not really of much help, my service department recommended not to use it.

There's been that many rumours and myths about it that I just prefer to stay on the safe side and not use it, better than using it thinking it has benefits when really it is detrimental.......

Offline kittikat

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Sunbury, Vic
Well, the big day arrived. We filled up the car last night.  It wasn't too bad at all.  We got 55 litres into her with only one stop.   :)   I must confess, though, I did take my husband with me and he was in charge of the pump. Didn't even have to use the wet wipes I had bought.  I must admit the fumes were strong after we got back into the car, but there was no grime from the handle.  Thanks for all your advice guys, it really helped to have a bit of a heads up with what to expect.  :D

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
In the uk I notice that my local petrol station (uh, I must say diesel, repeat 100 times) has a dispenser with free gloves.

I only know because they are good when using expoxy glue  :D

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
In the uk I notice that my local petrol station (uh, I must say diesel, repeat 100 times) has a dispenser with free gloves.

I only know because they are good when using expoxy glue  :D

hahahaha thats clever :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal