i30 Owners Club

No power when you put the foot down!

Offline Jinxy76

• 1st Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Perthshire
I all. This morning when driving home form work, I hit the dual carriageway, went to put the foot down and nothing! The car started to vibrate a little and then loss power altogether. Took my foot off and the car started to slowly build up speed again, drove like an old diesel. But when I went to put the foot down slightly harder, same problem. I pulled off into a layby and let the car tick over. Everything looked and sounded ok with no warning lights. Switched off then back on again and off I went. Car was fine, power back, like nothing had happened. However, I do think there is a vibration coming through the car now. Any ideas would be much appreciated, thanks. (2009 1.6 CRDI CW, 75'000)
  • i30 1.6 CRDI CW 2009

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Jinxy76

:wttc:

Have tried the same once. It could be a sensore detecting too high turbo pressure or many other things making the ECU go into "safe mode" protecting your engine not allowing it to operate at full boost.

As stopping the car solved the problem there most likely won't be any fault codes stored, so taking it to a mechanic propably won't help anything, unless the problem continues in which case you would be best of not stopping the engine before the mechanic have tested it for fault codes.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Jinxy76

• 1st Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Perthshire
Ok, I'll keep that on-board and we'll see what happens. Thanks for your help.  :D
  • i30 1.6 CRDI CW 2009

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Jinxy,

Certainly sounds like limp home mode. If you search our site for "limp home mode" you will find various causes. It is often Fuel filter related or to do with a Cruise control malfunction but other things can cause it too... Intermittent problems are a pain. Hope it was a "one of".  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
 :wts:

But otherwise...

:welcum:

Which they also said but I am saying again  :D
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Jinxy76

• 1st Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Perthshire
I know this is an old post, but just in case anyone is browsing thru.

The sudden power loss in my i30 was due to BP ultimate diesel fuel. I stopped using it and went back to cheap and cheerful supermarket fuel and the problem has never returned!!! Car has run sweat for nearly a year now.  :D
  • i30 1.6 CRDI CW 2009

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for the belated update.. I've been on tender hooks since December .  Must have been a bad batch. BP fuel is usually pretty good. ..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal