i30 Owners Club

Intermittant power problem

dougc · 10 · 3591

Offline dougc

• 1st Gear
I have an i30 CRDI with an intermittent fault. It will on occasion lose all power while driving, and idle steadily at approx 1500 rpm. Playing with the accelerator does not alter the status, but it has thus far resolved itself after a few minutes. Occasionally it will kick in and out of this condition over a few kilometres, making the car perform in a jerking manner. No warning lights illuminate during any of these episodes. I have taken it to the dealership, and they have connected it to the computer, but it does not show any outstanding fault. Of course, when they took it on a long test run, it behaved impeccably! Has anyone else perhaps experiences this, or can anyone offer any suggestions as to how I might get to the bottom of this?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
From another thread, courtesey of drew1981:

Hey guys we have seen a few of these throttle not working at work, you will only find it on the CRDI models only due to the fly by wire, the caus of the problems is the Throttle control sensor a batch it would seem where faulty not enough to warrant a recall you will find most dealers wont know what is going on the fault codes reported on the system mean nothing it took our boys a little while to figure it all out we striped a stock car and kept replacing parts on the customers car until it was fixed and that was the problem we have had 3 since and all have been fixed on the spot with no further issues.

if i can be of any more help on the matter please let me know

hope this helps

Even without this info I think it was pretty likely to be the throttle sensor as there were no ECU codes being stored. The ECU will just think you took your foot off the gas.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Could also be a faulty brake switch. I believe that switch cuts the power when the brake is applied  :question:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome doug... Sorry to hear of your issue (I reckon it has to be one or the other of these two possibilities)

Hopefully we can help you get it sorted quickly.. (it hasn't been mentioned on here b4)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Could also be a faulty brake switch. I believe that switch cuts the power when the brake is applied  :question:

I'd be guessing this too, or something else related to / with the Stability Control...

Offline Lofty UK

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sussex
Hi Doug
My i30 1.6 crdi also does this - not seriously but usually around 2500 revs and 3rd gear - power dies, then get a power surge - it always clears itself. Service dealer could find nothing. Hope this does not become an issue after the warranty has expired! I have had the car 10 months and 14k miles now.
Any ideas appreciated so the dealership can be advised. Thank you.
Also posted my disappointment about it doing 48mpg instead of the advertised 60 mpg and no-one seems to want to take ownership of the problem in UK.
How is yours?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Also posted my disappointment about it doing 48mpg instead of the advertised 60 mpg

Are you taking the MPG's from the dash readout?

This is a time period average not a single trip average so take what that shows with caution.  Best to fill up to brim and then refill to brim to work out average.

Your MPG's will go up or down by a few MPG's depending on how you drive - hard or gentle acceleration/braking and also the type of traffic you are driving in.

Depending on time of year I'm averaging out between 48 (cold weather reduces MPG's) to 54 (warm weather). 

I drive in a mixture of heavy/light/urban roads and motorway and currently my read out is showing 54.3 MPG.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline dougc

• 1st Gear
Thanks for all the suggestions! The problem suddenly became much more pronounced. I took it back to the dealership, and it was finally diagnosed. Lorian - you were right! It turned out to be a faulty Throttle Control Sensor. The sensor was replaced, and the issue seems to have been resolved. Thanks again.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Thanks should go to drew1981 really. I just seem to be able to rember stuff.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal