Wrong oil used!

stkman · 9 · 5043

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

• 2008 1.6 cRDi manual Elite in Stone Black
Hi All,

Bought my 1 year old CRDi i30 used at just on 17000km ... the one 15000km service had been done. Decided to do a 22500km oil change and bought the oil ready for the dealer to do it and noticed on the receipt for the first service that a 15W-40 Mobil oil had been used. Quick call to Hyundai NZ, faxed them the receipt and they said to book it in for an oil and filter change as that is not the right grade of oil.

They will pay and claim the cost off the dealer that put the wrong oil in  :) Saves me the cost of my intermediate oil change. Phoned about 5 places for independant advice and all agreed no damage done (don't have diesel particulate filters on the i30 in NZ).

Am impressed with Hyundai service.

• 2008 1.6 manual diesel Elite

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I think it would be a good idea if the car manufaturers wrote the oil spec on the filler cap, as there are so many variants nowadays.

Offline iThurT

• 2nd Gear

• CRDi 1.6 Comfort in Shine Red. UK.
Yes, that would help seeing, as it's obviously too much to expect dealer 'mechanics' to do the job you're paying them to do! :mad:

Just hope that no one puts the wrong cap on.

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

Took the car in this morning for the new oil and filter ... about an hour which included a wash. Nice clean oil (I checked!) although no noticable difference. Great customer service.

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome to the club stkman  I have been busy since you joined  :wink:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

You certainly have Dazz! How is the house coming along? Any more pics? I did the house build project as well ... never again! At least I now have a nice garage in which to park and i30 :-)

Andrew

Offline Shirt

• 1st Gear
sooo, just to be clear. is the correct oil for a diesel with a particulate filter 5W30 which is a fully synthetic oil?

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

If you have a diesel with a particulate filter, the oil must meet the ACEA C3 standard. The oils that meet this standard are all synthetic and generally are 5W-40 grade. My i30 does not have a particulate filter so the oil does not need to meet the ACEA C3 standard ... it only has to meet the ACEA B4 standard ... these oils also tend to be synthetic and are generally 5W-30 or 5W-40 grade. New Zealand is cold enough to not require a 5W-40!

Andrew

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal