i30 Owners Club

How to get a wire from motor compartment to passenger compartment?

hneel · 15 · 8248

Offline hneel

• 2nd Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Dinteloord
There should be some hole somewhere where all the wires go from to motor compartment to under the dashboard. But where is it?
I want to get an electrical wire through it.
  • i30 1.6 crdi 2009

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
If you search in the electrical section I'm sure someone posted pics about how to route cables from battery to cabin (for amplifiers)

EDIT: Take a look at reply #27 in this thread:  :link: Complete Audio Overhaul of a 2010 CW
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 22:06:59 by Asterix »
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
My 2011 cw has a rectangle grommet on the firewall.  I can't take a photo as my car is in the garage, but when you open up the bonnet, looking at the drivers side up high right near the side fender.  I took it off, punched a hole through the carpet and drilled a hole in the grommet for the cable.  Worked quite well as I took power off the alternator for a second battery in the back. 

The grommet is only about 3cmx2cm I think.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Suresh

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Iowa
My 2011 cw has a rectangle grommet on the firewall.  I can't take a photo as my car is in the garage, but when you open up the bonnet, looking at the drivers side up high right near the side fender.  I took it off, punched a hole through the carpet and drilled a hole in the grommet for the cable.  Worked quite well as I took power off the alternator for a second battery in the back. 

Hi
Any chance you could post a picture of the grommet location. I am trying to wire in for my amplifier installation, but having a hard time locating it. I have a 2011 model too. Thanks.
  • 2011 FD 5 door hatch, Gasoline 2L, Auto, Black (2011 Hyundai Elantr touring GLS)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Hi
Any chance you could post a picture of the grommet location. I am trying to wire in for my amplifier installation, but having a hard time locating it. I have a 2011 model too. Thanks.
Being you're in the US I'm guessing the grommet location would be the opposite side for you :undecided:

guest9517
Was informed the easiest way on a GD was through grommet for the wire thats opening the hood...Perhaps any of you guys got a better idea? Needed for towing bar canbus-box in the trunk (left side which equals drivers side here in dk :-) )

Offline Suresh

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Iowa

Hi
Being you're in the US I'm guessing the grommet location would be the opposite side for you :undecided:

Are you talking about looking at the passenger side (right side of the car in US)?
  • 2011 FD 5 door hatch, Gasoline 2L, Auto, Black (2011 Hyundai Elantr touring GLS)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yes it would be your passenger side there though I'm only speculating as I don't have your model, shouldn't be to hard to see a black grommet high on one side of the firewall  :undecided:

guest9517

I30 LHD, grommet on right side. cable is visible behind glovebox when inserted straight. (easy to se if light in enginebay when grommet is dismounted)

Offline Suresh

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Iowa

I30 LHD, grommet on right side. cable is visible behind glovebox when inserted straight. (easy to se if light in enginebay when grommet is dismounted)

Is that from a FD vehicle? Mine is 2011. I went to look inside the hood. I couldn't locate a grommet in the passenger side (right), instead found this on the driver's/battery side (left) just near the diagnostic port (the white thing on the left over exposed in sunlight). Wonder if this is the grommet that goes through the firewall and above the front left wheel and into the kick panel on driver's side (as linked by Asterix above).

guest9517

Is that from a FD vehicle? Mine is 2011. I went to look inside the hood. I couldn't locate a grommet in the passenger side (right), instead found this on the driver's/battery side (left) just near the diagnostic port (the white thing on the left over exposed in sunlight). Wonder if this is the grommet that goes through the firewall and above the front left wheel and into the kick panel on driver's side (as linked by Asterix above).

GD, check my avater & my question above :-) Its actually very easy on a GD  :goodjob:

Offline Suresh

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Iowa

GD, check my avater & my question above :-) Its actually very easy on a GD  :goodjob:

My bad  :head_butt: I wrongly assumed that you were responding to my request for photo :-)

guest9517

My bad  :head_butt: I wrongly assumed that you were responding to my request for photo :-)

I could/should just have started new thread, so think were equal  :happydance:

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
I'll take a photo of the rectangle grommet in my car tomorrow arvo (10:30pm here).
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Photos of my cable/grommet:

I took the source directly off the alternator with a 60A inline fuse.  Reason: 1. it was close rather than running a cable all the way to the battery, 2. I'm only using the power when the alternator is producing power. The cable runs to a 20A DC-DC charger connected to a 85ah AGM battery to run a fridge. The charger only operates above 13.7v.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal