i30 Owners Club

New Engine but Different Camshaft

homerml · 11 · 3090

Offline homerml

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands
My car spends more time in the garage than at my house.  The latest, the engine has gone after 47k miles!!!  Caused by a glow plug. My garage then ordered a second hand engine from a breaker.  The engine codes on both engines match but now it's fitted they realised that the camshaft is different. 

My original camshaft has 3x notches on it and the new one has only one!  So when you start the car, the ECU only gets one pulse instead of 3 from the camshaft sensor.  It now takes 4-5 seconds to starts the car.  Once started it is fine, plenty of power.  No issue with extra fuel being used. It just won't start properly and also I get a warning light about the camshaft position.  You clear it and it just keeps coming back.  According to the garage, my original engine is an 'Euro 5' and the new one is an 'Euro 4' what ever that means?

So can anyone help me 1) Fix the starting issue and 2) Fix the warning light?

Can the ECU be reprogrammed?

Any help would be great. Thanks for your time!
  • i30 CW

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
This should be the responsibility of your garage to fix as they've ordered/installed the wrong engine, can they use the camshaft from your original engine :undecided:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
How old is the car?

Warranty fix?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My guess is that amongst other tweaks, the Euro 5 engine is fitted with a DPF - the Euro 4 isn't.

The Euro 5 engine is claimed to be more economical with less emissions
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline homerml

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands
The breaker wont accept the engine back.  I did think about swapping the cam shaft over but would it fit?  What other small changes have they done? It would cost lots in labour to swap them over and it might not fit.  The garage said this is the risk you take when you buy a second hand engine.

What should I do?  :crazy1:
  • i30 CW

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I take it the car is out of warranty and you are NOT using a Hyundai authorised service centre or dealer.

I also take it the garage sourced the engine, not you.

Therefore , I would say the garage are responsible for sourcing the engine and any remedial work etc as they should have ensured the engine was the correct one, unless you had been informed of possible non compatability prior to authorising the work.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline homerml

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands
Could I get a different sensor or re-programme the ECU?
  • i30 CW

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
As a software engineer (among many other roles) I would suggest a software tweak is possible that would read the first pulse and bypass any code that expects two more. However, my experience is that unless this problem is very common, the effort (cost) would be prohibitive. Any question of responsibility aside, the practical solution may be to machine the notches back into the new (replacement) camshaft, thereby avoiding any further incompatibilities.

If the workshop are seeking the best possible solution for all, aside from re-sourcing a replacement, you may be able to forcefully suggest that a very faithful reproduction of the notches is required.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline martyni30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Somerset
The garage who fitted the engine for you has the responsibility to sort out the problem under your statutory rights as it is not fit for purpose, also they should have done all the relevant checks before purchasing the engine as every garage knows that there are so many different variants that can appear in a car even when the car is on the same year plate, my advice would be to go and have a chat with them argue the point that it is their mistake therefore they need to sort it out if you have no joy with that then go seek some advice from the AA or RAC who can do an independent report for you.
  • 2011 i30 1.6crdi tourer

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Does this engine have VVT  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
sounds like they have different cam position sensors could ask the breaker if they have the ECU from the car the engine came from, might be able to swap over see if that fixe problem.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal