i30 Owners Club

Oil catch can?

Guest · 14 · 4513

I30 dieselest
G,day just fitted Provent 100 catch can plus block off plate to my egr on mrs i30 diesel GD 2016 auto also taken off all mufflers and installed idrive windbooster throttle control. I have fitted 3 inch piping to the air filter to maximise air flow. Definitely improves power with less turbo lag.

Administrator Comment Posts split from :link: Oil catch can?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
G,day just fitted Provent 100 catch can plus block off plate to my egr on mrs i30 diesel GD 2016 auto also taken off all mufflers and installed idrive windbooster throttle control. I have fitted 3 inch piping to the air filter to maximise air flow. Definitely improves power with less turbo lag.
It must sound awful with no mufflers :undecided: diesels aren't known for their exhaust note, hopefully you kept the catalytic converter in place :undecided:

The race chip box would have given you improved throttle response (as opposed to the Windbooster) plus it would have increased the power.

I30 dieselest
Love the deeper exhaust note now and yes cat still in place. Could have put another turbo on too.......but very happy with the difference in the way the car goes now after the changes I have made, try them people you won't be disappointed  :goodjob2:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
We can assume dieselest is confident that he will never need to claim repairs under warranty.  :eek:

I note that @hneel started this thread, apparently linking EGR deposits and crankcase vented oil vapour. The catch can only removes the latter. It is not much use on an i30 motor with moderate mileage.

The catch can is usually promoted as a mod for 'dog' motors such as the Renault designed abortion powering the Nissan Navara.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 21:25:31 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

I30 dieselest
Already had car back for warranty twice for dct with exhaust and air box mods.....Hyundai had no issues. I'd put catch can and erg block on any diesel,if you can stop hot exhaust gases and oil, contaminates,ect from entering your intake it can only be a positive. I did it on my turbo diesel Mitsubishi 4x4 4 yrs ago and monitored the oil that's NOT now clogging up my intercooler, intake, sensors. Have heard manufacturers will be putting catch cans on new cars very soon !

I30 dieselest
Can put pics up of install if some can tell me how to add pics here.  Can you tell I'm a newbie on here ha :Dunno:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome dieselest. Just host them via Imgur.com and post forum image links on here.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

I30 dieselest

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Already had car back for warranty twice for dct with exhaust and air box mods.....Hyundai had no issues. I'd put catch can and erg block on any diesel,if you can stop hot exhaust gases and oil, contaminates,ect from entering your intake it can only be a positive. I did it on my turbo diesel Mitsubishi 4x4 4 yrs ago and monitored the oil that's NOT now clogging up my intercooler, intake, sensors. Have heard manufacturers will be putting catch cans on new cars very soon !

EGR gumming has been discussed many times. A blocking plate is a remedy , albeit an illegal one, on a road vehicle.
PCV is separate from EGR.
 On a motor that is in good condition, the PCV connecting hoses will have little more than a slight oil smear inside.
 For instance, Omegaspeedy (above) has installed a catch can on his car (kms unknown) and recorded 98ml of oil caught in 10,000km.
   That's less than 10 micro litres per kilometre.  :head_butt:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

I30 dieselest

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Any amount of oil is a good thing.
Thanks for that useful info,  but will continue to play it safe with a full sump.  :D

I30 dieselest

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :rofl: Cute

EGR gumming has been discussed many times. A blocking plate is a remedy , albeit an illegal one, on a road vehicle.
PCV is separate from EGR.
 On a motor that is in good condition, the PCV connecting hoses will have little more than a slight oil smear inside.
 For instance, Omegaspeedy (above) has installed a catch can on his car (kms unknown) and recorded 98ml of oil caught in 10,000km.   That's less than 10 micro litres per kilometre. 

Mate, I should let this pass, but for the sake of present and future members who deserve sound advice it should be noted:
We are currently trying to give assistance to some members who have not been treated at all fairly by a dealer. The dealer has shown some leniency to you.
Irrespective of my low opinion of these dealers,  :spitty: I would consider it to be your dealer's right to refuse to repair your car under warranty.

On two occasions, it has been your handy work, not a manufacturer’s fault, that has thrown up a “dct” (sic) I presume you mean DTC ( diagnostic trouble code). I suggest  that the day you require expensive repair work, you will become persona non grata.

Re your Mitsubishi example: “the oil that's NOT now clogging up my intercooler, intake, sensors”;

A small amount of oil can be expected to enter the intercooler, However, EGR enters after the intercooler. It cannot clog it.
 If it was clogged, the oil seal in the turbo is the probable culprit. If the motor is very old, the PCV will push oil into the air intake. This is hardly reason to put a catch can on a new motor.

You claim that you “heard manufacturers will be putting catch cans on new cars very soon!” Did this come from the 15 year old kid serving you at Supercheap ? Or, are you confusing your ‘cans’ and referring to a DPF (diesel particulate filter)?

I30 dieselest
The sump is dry.
That's great your trying to help others :goodjob2: but I wouldn't take advice from you.
You have it all RONG
My handy work hasn't thrown anything, dct (dual clutch transmission)
NOT dtc (diagnostic trouble code) but great story
This topic is about oil catch cans you should go to a different topic if you want to talk about dealers
Hot egr plus oil blow-by could and does clog intakes, that's a fact,some engines are reknown for it others may never have a problem but I'd rather spend a couple of hundred $$$ up front than potentially a lot more down the track, it's called preventative maintenance.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal