i30 Owners Club

Internal Headlamp Wiring

Offline marabak

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Liverpool
Hey. I had an issue a while ago where both dipped beam bulbs blew and as I'm a stupid numpty, I removed the main beam bulb on the passenger side by accident. I quickly realised my mistake and popped it back in. Unfortunately, since then it hasn't worked. I thought I had blown the bulb by handling it or something, and fancied a change overall so I ordered some Osram Cool Blue Intense replacements for the main beam, dipped and sidelights and got around to fitting them today.

Unfortunately, the main beam bulb on the passenger side still doesn't work. I can't find my multimeter and it is getting dark now, so I have had to call it a day in trying to fix the issue. However, some of my problem solving has narrowed the issue down to the wiring within the headlamp assembly itself I think. I have switched headlamp assemblies over, trying the driver side on the passenger side power connection and vice versa and the issue persisted. I've swapped the bulbs themselves over, and the issue persisted for the bulb in the passenger headlamp assembly. Visually, the wiring for the power supply to the bulb itself looks fine. All other bulbs look fine, including the side light in the same assembly. I've swapped fuses around, but no difference.

Before I go around poking in places I don't really understand, has anyone got a good idea where to look once I pry the headlamp assembly. I don't really know my way around electrics either, so anyone got any idea what kind of result I would be looking at when I do find my multimeter (I assume 12V at the connector to the bulb?). Any schematics would be gratefully received :D

Cheers :D

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Sorry to hear your troubles but i recall something similar has been reported on here and if i recall correctly it was to do with the bulb being fitted the wrong way.

Have you check this re the off set?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline marabak

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Liverpool
That might have been me who fitted it the wrong way around  :eek:

I've tried it both ways, and both bulbs but to no avail unfortunately.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I once bought a book (a beginners book) on car electronics.

It may as well have been written in Swahili for all that I could understand of it.

Dark mysterious stuff car electrics  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :head_knock: :head_knock:

Good luck 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'm with Asa too unfortunately.  My Older Brother started an auto electrical business about 40 years ago which his stepson still operates in Artarmon NSW but not much help to you!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline marabak

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Liverpool
I've had a brief poke around but I don't really know what I am doing and I don't want to damage anything further :D I'm visiting my parents at the weekend, and my dad used to be a mechanic eons ago and he has said he will look at it for me :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline marabak

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Liverpool
Well, not much to report after fiddling with it this week, other than it now works. There were no obvious issues, no loose wires and voltage measurements seemed good, and then suddenly it worked. Obviously something we did fixed it, but nothing intentional or what we even know with hindsight.

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
this amazes me with the I30.
a bulb doesnt work, you touch it and then it works.
I would expect much more from a car of this era.
from the short time I have the I30, I came to discover that the lights electrical connection tend to loose proper contact over time.
so when fiddling with the wiring and connections,  you probably took away some corrosion.
  • I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal