i30 Owners Club

2012 i30 Diesel Elite: steering issues

Offline Fireescape

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands
Super quick update, got a call from dealership, all the parts needed to swap out the steering mechanism are in and the car is booked in for next Friday (the 23rd) for the work to be carried out. Should be ready to go by Friday afternoon.
  • 2012 i30 Diesel Elite

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Sounds like they're looking after you. Good job! :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :iws:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
That's great news fireescape , your the 3rd in a short time to have a positive result re :steering problems repaired by HA . Ensure you get a list /invoice of items replaced for warranty and in case some one else has similiar in the future .Roll on the 23rd, keep us posted   :goodjob:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Fireescape

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands
update time -
Ok, the job has been done, kinda.
So I took the car into Hyundai in Albion Park Rail first thing  yesterday morning and handed the keys over to the service manager, got a call at about 3.30pm telling me the car was ready to pick up. I went down, into the reception area, spoke to the receptionist and she had Mick the head mechanic bring the car out from behind the workshop. Mick asked me to go for a drive, but unfortunately this was a very short test drive due to time constraints (I had to get back to work) and traffic (Friday afternoon Albion Park Rail traffic craziness). First thing Mick said was "steering is very light now" as he drove across the road into the big carpark across from the dealership. We did a few runs back and forth to confirm the car was tracking straight (they reset the sensor apparently) and I was on my way.

The car is definitely better to drive now, no need to chop at the wheel to keep it in a straight line, but there's still an issue. At speeds below around 15km/h there's absolutely no steering resistance at all, like the front of the car has been lifted off the ground. It's very disconcerting to drive at slow speeds, I have no idea where the front wheels are at all, only being able to tell where the wheels are pointing by the position of the steering wheel, and going in reverse is even worse in this respect. I've also found that the Sport/Normal/Comfort setting makes little to no difference to the steering feel, probably a quarter of what it used to do.

So I'm hoping this new issue is just a software problem. I'm thinking maybe the Electronic Steering Control (or whatever it's called) needs to be updated to the same version as whatever year model the new steering column computer assembly's from. I'm hoping that a 2016 (I'm assuming) steering column with a 2012 ecu program may be  the issue. So I guess it's back to Hyundai to see if this can be sorted. More updates to follow.

P. S Just as a matter of interest the Part No's of the replaced parts are
56310A5700 Column Assy-Upr
8191931000 Bolt-Safety Lock
  • 2012 i30 Diesel Elite

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Oh, that's weird. They obviously didn't get a chance to do much of a test drive. Not really good enough. They forget people have a life and work commitments to work around. You mainland folk also have traffic congestion to contend with which makes return trips to the dealer even more time consuming.  Rant over! <sign>

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Agree with Dazz    :head_butt: Bummer.

I think someone has screwed up on the software.

Save me reading three pages, - you have a GD not FD?  So if GD it will be same steer column.

Good Luck
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Fireescape

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands
It is a GD, a 2012 model, so one of the first of the GD's. I've rung Hyundai in Albion Park and have booked it in for first thing Monday morning, so we'll see how things go. I'm also starting to think the steering selector isn't working at all, the button changes the image on the dash, but I'm buggered if I can feel any difference in the steering. We'll see how things go on Monday.
  • 2012 i30 Diesel Elite

Offline Fireescape

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands
Final update (maybe)
So back to Hyundai in Albion Park Rail this morning to try and sort the steering out on my i30. The mechanic gets straight onto it and after maybe 30 mins it's sorted. I was told that when the new electronic steering module was installed the settngs flashed to its computer were "overseas petrol" instead of Australian Diesel. So after the computer is updated with the new, correct, settings the steering is fixed, no more superlight steering at low speeds and the comfort/normal/sport steering  selector functions as designed.

So I guess that's it for now, the car steers so much better it's not funny, drives straight down the road with no need to constantly chop at the wheel a feels more planted in corners too.  I should say that although the whole process was a bit of a hassle the dealer came through eventually, even though there's been a few hiccups along the way. The difference this has made to how the car drives is remarkable, it was definitely worth the effort taken to get it sorted. Cheers
  • 2012 i30 Diesel Elite

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Excellent! Thanks heaps for keeping us in the loop!  :victory:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That outcome makes for some valuable corporate knowledge. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
That outcome makes for some valuable corporate knowledge. :victory:
   :) :)

We should file this as a text book case.
  Excellent clear explanations came from @Fireescape  relating to the fault and his interaction with the dealer.
All members gave him moral support and sound advice on consumer rights and dealer or alternate repair avenues.
Fireescape remained focused and stood his ground until the problem was resolved.
Dealer PR failings became evident.
The Hyundai Dealer in Albion Park Rail must be congratulated for accepting responsibility for a relatively rare steering failure and for rectifying the fault.  :goodjob2:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:wts:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal