i30 Owners Club

electric window problem

Offline bruster123

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA
Had a quick skim on this section and couldn't really see anything relating to my problem.

So, I bought my mums i30 off her a couple weeks ago and one thing I know has been broken for quite some time now is the electric window controls for the driver.

All windows work perfectly and the buttons for each window works fine; apart from the ones on the driver side. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a switch issue on the drivers control panel however I've never actually pulled it apart. The family mechanic said its an expensive job to do because of the complexity of actually getting to the part that needs fixing.
Has anyone ever has this problem or does anyone know how to fix it?
  • 2009 Hyundai FD 5 Door Hatch, 2.0lt Petrol, Auto, Sky Blue

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Had a quick skim on this section and couldn't really see anything relating to my problem.

So, I bought my mums i30 off her a couple weeks ago and one thing I know has been broken for quite some time now is the electric window controls for the driver.

All windows work perfectly and the buttons for each window works fine; apart from the ones on the driver side. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a switch issue on the drivers control panel however I've never actually pulled it apart. The family mechanic said its an expensive job to do because of the complexity of actually getting to the part that needs fixing.
Has anyone ever has this problem or does anyone know how to fix it?

he must be a very challenged mechanic then. Nothing complex about removing a door card. May break some clips in the process, expense would be the switch assembly.I don't think you can replace just the one switch.

2 screws get removed, one in the trim around the unlock handle, one in the handgrip, gently pry the tweeter speak surround out.

Trim removal tool can help reduce the number of clips broken , but I generally snap one.

rest should be self explanatory, disconnect harnesses, then the switch assembly is screwed in. One in the image is from a 2010 with fold away mirrors

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline bruster123

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA
Wow sounds easy as lol, anyone have a clue how much the switch assembly would be or know where to get one?

Offline bruster123

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
bruster123, what part of Perth are you in? I may be able to direct you to a better mechanic.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You could also source the part from Korean Motor Car Spares in Welshpool :link: Kia, Hyundai & Daewoo Spare Parts and Car Wreckers in Perth WA they would likely fit the part for you for $20.

Offline bruster123

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA
That would be amazing dude! :D :D
I live in Wanneroo , specifically, Ashby. :)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Wanneroo is probably a bit far away for you for my preferred mechanic - Eddy Wroe at Thornlie Automotives, though the Korean car parts link should be of some help to you.

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
its really easy replacing the control switch assembly.
you cannot replace only 1 switch, you have to replace the whole assembly.
its a 30 minutes job from start to end. lots of screws to unscrew and re-screw.
just don't tighten the screws too much.
you can buy the part from koraps.com or from ebay.
best way to find out the correct part number, is to remove the door trim and look.
  • I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good news!!
Found one (this is a link) !!

That seems a lot for a used part. (greedy)  :Shocked: I'd look at the other options suggested
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
best way to find out the correct part number, is to remove the door trim and look.

Good advice,

I had a look a Koraps earlier and an EBay search for 935702L910 which  is out of the catalogs and using my VIN was the part number. It's correct

Unavailable from Koraps, Not a lot on EBay or anything significantly cheaper.

Heaps of LHD parts though

Offline bruster123

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA
Another update. I messaged the guy on eBay with various questions to make sure it was a legit and fully functional part. I also told him I'm a poor uni student and he bumped the price down to 100. I know it's still quite pricey but it's from Australia and it seems to be a trusted dude so I got it.  :D
It's on its way to my front door, now I just need to get ready to take the panel off the door without breaking anything​ lol

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Another update. I messaged the guy on eBay with various questions to make sure it was a legit and fully functional part. I also told him I'm a poor uni student and he bumped the price down to 100. I know it's still quite pricey but it's from Australia and it seems to be a trusted dude so I got it.  :D
It's on its way to my front door, now I just need to get ready to take the panel off the door without breaking anything​ lol

Here's my list of what's likely to break. Not the end of the world but anooying.

With both the latch handle surround and the arm grip screws they have a plastic cover. You will see the notch to pry up, but they are hard plastic and the other end has a plastic retaining tongue  that can snap very easily if you force the issue and the cover flips up quickly. Smaller the flat blade the better .

The tweeter surround shuould be straight forward and a matter of prying it evenly until it just pops off,then the ddor trim , I start usually on a bottom corner and pop the first clipout then working around gradually.

I seem to get at least one that grabs and snaps rather than popping out, shit happens.

these are the clip part numbers

There's blues ones too which are the ones I break, can't find a number for them but look the same as the yellow to be honest and the catalog says 8 x 8231527000, 10 x 8231538000 for both front doors.

Could always get some for a rainy day.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Be careful if they flick off... you could end up with a clip around the ears.. :D

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Be careful if they flick off... you could end up with a clip around the ears.. :D

Dazz, did you take a wrong turn and miss the chuckle hub. This is serious business here. Someone's upper / downer controller thing-a-me-jig is broken and all you want to do is give him a clip arounds the ears. :coolingoff:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sorry, I'm big on O,H & S...  :whistler:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Sorry, I'm big on O,H & S...  :whistler:
Oh no, standby for a decode from the Gonz

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was

Good advice,

I had a look a Koraps earlier and an EBay search for 935702L910 which  is out of the catalogs and using my VIN was the part number. It's correct

forgot the LHD and RHD thingy. almost gave you the LHD pn.
there are a couple of threads here for door trim removal. very helpful.
I start with the part by the hinge side, in the middle theres a place  you can grab and start slowly to pry it away.
never broke a clip on the Hyunday, on the Citroen, I broke 3 out of the 6 clips.
got myself a set of tools from ebay. will use it next time.
  • I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Good advice,

forgot the LHD and RHD thingy. almost gave you the LHD pn.
there are a couple of threads here for door trim removal. very helpful.
I start with the part by the hinge side, in the middle theres a place  you can grab and start slowly to pry it away.
never broke a clip on the Hyunday, on the Citroen, I broke 3 out of the 6 clips.
got myself a set of tools from ebay. will use it next time.

You must have a surgeons touch, wish I could be as lucky. Yes frustrating sometimes, there's a few bits that must be unique in certain regions. Korea must be LHD. Another item was car remote, outrageously priced here, but can't get that either through Koraps.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Door trim clips can also be purchased from Supercheap :link: Champion Door Trim Clips - PP92, Panel Pack - Supercheap Auto

have you tried those?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Door trim clips can also be purchased from Supercheap :link: Champion Door Trim Clips - PP92, Panel Pack - Supercheap Auto

have you tried those?
Not at this stage, never had to take of a door trim :)

Ok, Curious to know if they fitted properly or not.  handy packs, I had to grab a couple of clips to secure the guard inner lining on  a road trip.

Offline bruster123

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

I assume the clips must be fairly universal then?
Reckon those would fit? That way I dont have to wait for stuff to arrive like if I buy them from ebay

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal