i30 Owners Club

Immobiliser Light OFF and not starting_REPAIRED

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi,
In virtually all the topics relating to the immobiliser problems, the member says the light stays on. Not for me  :crazy1: So thought this post may be of value to someone down the track

For several months my wife has complained that her 2.0L FD was occasionally hard to start. It generally started ok when I used the car; but occasionally, I had to crank a few seconds longer. Initially, I was a bit suspicious of the fuel pump.
Two days ago, 6am on a cold day, wife tries to start car for her journey to work, she cranks on and on (as they do), not even a splutter.
When I took over, I noticed that when the ignition was first switched on the immobiliser light flashed 4 or 5 times then would go out. BLACK. This coincided with the EPS & ESP lights going out, as they should do.
Tried several times, same result, gave up. Tried once more at 8am before leaving home, still dead.
I was conscious that I had an electrical fault and from experience temperature changes can cause component failure.
It was thinking that it could be the Smartra antenna .

Got home at midday having picked up tools and a complete steering column from Shed#2.
Tried to start the car once more and the ^*%k%# car fired up immediately and at every subsequent attempt to start.
The immobiliser light stayed on until the car fired up ( as per normal). No codes were trouble codes were recorded.

I have changed the suspect antenna coil ( it sits around the key barrel and reads the chip code in the key).
Given that I could not identify a faulty component, I wait with some trepidation for the next inconvenient failure...or hopefully not :rolleyes:
Any observations guys?
@cruiserfied  and @tw2005
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 00:00:33 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Flashing extinguishing immobo says to me it's a mismatch. From memory from playing around that's what I saw.

So the reader is probably a good place to start
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Why is it mismatched? Then matched? And "it" being the reader?
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
well if it reads nothing, it's a mismatch. that's how I see it . Not saying the chip is mismatched but that's what it's interpretting.

I can't remember now with the smartra, may do the same but I've done enough damage to my car , not going back into that dark hole to remember it :lol:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I get you. The chip is ok, basically inert and same one since 2009. 
Im taking a hopeful punt that the Coil had shorted turns and may not have returned a signal to the Smartra. The ECU , having waiting for 5 seconds for a signal from smartra, does not get it and shuts down.

My best theory so far. :disapp:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Is there a cellphone mast nearby?

Interesting that we've had reports of interference preventing members locking/unlocking their cars remotely, the symptoms of which disappeared when the car was moved (or after a period of time).

Given that the locking function and the immobiliser pickup are based on similar RF 'responder' technology you can't fully rule it out, can you, even though the transmitter & responder are within centimetres of each other in this case....?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
"Is there a cellphone mast nearby?"

I wish :blubber:
In Australia they are building us a 'State of the Art' communication system. ( called the NBN) Unfortunately, political cost cutting has made it a ' Start of the Art' non event.
 I make phone calls while standing next to the 3rd fence post on the Northern boundary.  :rolleyes:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
"Is there a cellphone mast nearby?"

I wish :blubber:
In Australia they are building us a 'State of the Art' communication system. ( called the NBN) Unfortunately, political cost cutting has made it a ' Start of the Art' non event.
 I make phone calls while standing next to the 3rd fence post on the Northern boundary.  :rolleyes:

Northern boundary, sounds like the property is so big it adjoins another state

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :rofl:
Yep, They say Redcliffe is in a bit of a state at the moment. No train drivers!  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:rofl:
Yep, They say Redcliffe is in a bit of a state at the moment. No train drivers!  :D
Very Good mate!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
It has been 2 months since I replaced the coil. Car now starts every time. So we can paste the original symptoms and the fix into our scrapbook.  :victory:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good to hear Gary.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal