Dazzler · 44 · 13366

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Let's have a discussion. I'll go first.  :evil:

I guess it depends on what you are used to or what features your model has, but I find this new "feature" over-rated.

For example my PD SR only has one USB port, so if I want to use Android Auto I have to remove my USB dongle (my main source of Music) to plug in my phone cable. then I have to say OK to a few questions on the phone to get access.

Then when I get out of the car I need to disconnect my phone.

Seems crazy this wasn't designed by Google to work wirelessly (Bluetooth)

Seeing I already have a Built in GPS and can accept calls via Bluetooth, I don't think I'll bother!

Much easier in my previous car just to voice call via Bluetooth connection with phone in pocket so I don't have to worry about leaving it in the car.

Thoughts?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I see what you mean about it being frustrating.

Since you do have Sat nav built in, there probably isn't any point to using Android Auto.

Personally I think using the cable isn't such a bad idea as it does use a bit of battery to run off the phone.

Where Hyundai have added the wireless charging it has pretty much solved the problem. I don't think Android Auto has caught up with car companies already supplying wireless charging.

One thing a like with the whole projection from phone is that as you update your photo the headunit isn't going to slow down as Android Auto gets better

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for that. I wish I knew your first name! (I don't really like calling you mate!)

Talking of wireless charging I have an adapter coming for my LG G4 via Ebay that only cost about $7!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Dazz, I've never used Android Auto so I cant comment on the awkwardness of it but an option to solve swapping over the music usb would be to install the music on your phone :undecided: I wonder if Apple Play behaves in the same manner :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazz, I've never used Android Auto so I cant comment on the awkwardness of it but an option to solve swapping over the music usb would be to install the music on your phone :undecided: I wonder if Apple Play behaves in the same manner :undecided:

I believe Apple car play is very similar.

I have quite a bit of music on my phone already, but still a cumbersome system.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have tried Android auto in my car - but I have a USB port in the cubby/armrest between the seats as well as the one in the front binnacle to keep the phone charged. I could see no purpose in using it because The maps are no better and I am not one to play music in the car.

I don't know whether Hyundai offer this - but my car is equipped with KIA Connect Services which enables you to connect a tethered phone and be connected via r 4G or 3G to Tom Tom live services to provide real time speed camera and traffic information. The phone can be connected by Bluetooth at the same time for the telephone link to the car. It works faultlessly.  However - I was regularly forgetting to set the phone to tether when I got into the car - or forget to take the phone with me when I left.

So I bought a Mobile Wi Fi unit
http://tinyurl.com/ycc7mlnu

And loaded it with a 4G 12 MB data SIM from Mobile 3 for about £25. It lasts for 12 months without any further payment.
:link: 3 PAYG 4G Trio Data SIM Pack Incl. 12GB Data £24.95 - Free Delivery

I have had it for just 1 month and have used only 0.4 MB of data so being wise after the event I needed to buy just a 6MB Data SIM card.

I leave the TP-Link in the car plugged into to the USB port in the central cubby to keep it charged. I sometimes use it with my laptop when travelling if the hotel does not have WiFi in the room.

Hence I no longer use my phone for traffic and speed cameras
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I downloaded Andy Auto to my phone last week, just to give it a whirl and see what all the fuss was about.

6 hours later it was uninstalled :rolleyes:

For the life of me I couldn't see any easy way of dismissing it once it had magically started itself and covered the entire screen's real estate.

That, plus by default it auto-replied to a couple of text messages on my behalf, advising that I was driving. I soon discovered how to change that but the whole experience was "in yer face".

It also had some affect on my phone's Google settings, as even once uninstalled I was constantly being updated with my local weather conditions & temperature/humidity (things I could care less about) chomping into my data allowance as it went.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Guys,

Sounds like I'm not the only one that thinks it is over-rated.

Tested my built in GPS today and quite like the way it works. Very responsive and similar to the one in my Calais. With that and a thumb drive in my USB port I think I'll give Android Auto a miss.

Might try that Wi-fi option that Alan suggested though.  :goodjob:

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Thanks for that. I wish I knew your first name! (I don't really like calling you mate!)

Talking of wireless charging I have an adapter coming for my LG G4 via Ebay that only cost about $7!
Dean here Daz, that's pretty terrible of me not to introduce myself since I've been here for years! 😂

I think Android Auto is an acquired taste. Personally I find Android Auto great. My partner and I have a Premium Spotify account which integrates well with AA. Google Maps works well and the main screen gives suggestions based on my routine. It tells me in the morning how long it will take to get to work.

The Google voice activation is excellent! All I need to say is OK Google and say whatever command I want it to perform from Navigate to here, Call this person, send a message to this person saying this.

Today I was stuck in traffic and I was asking Google how to say different words in French, then I asked it a few geography questions. Made the drive home fun and didn't distract me from driving.

Daz, if your a bit tech savvy, you can jump on your PC and drop all your music into Google Music, download the app and it will all be on your phone. No need to purchase any music if you don't want to and is easily updatable from your PC.

Great to hear your feedback especially with my partner Kane being in the market for a new car in the new few months.

Happy motoring!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers Dean. No doubt you've said your name somewhere. I've probably just forgotten. I should remember now!

After what you said it does sound good. Pity it needs a lead though! I have like 30gb of music on my PC and haven't paid for a download yet! :winker:

I'll persevere a bit longer.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Dazz

The mobile WiFi unit I use would only work in Australia for traffic warnings and speed cameras if Hyundai offer a similar system to KIA Connect which downloads the data from Tom Tom.

It's a brilliant system and the traffic data is updated every 2 minutes. The sat nav map shows by means of a chevron pattern alongside the road, exactly where the traffic is. I was surprised to see that the information is not just for motorways and main roads - but also some "main" B roads are included. A few weeks ago we had to travel both ways through the city of Lincoln. There really is no decent by-pass around it that is obvious. TRavelling north on our outward bound journey it took us 30 minutes to do 5 miles because I ignored the sat nav offering to plot a detour. On the way back the traffic was even worse so I put my trust in the sat nav and followed the detour. We saw a lot more of Lincoln than most travellers and it navigated us down some very unlikely roads. Bottom line - we were clear of Lincoln in about 15 minutes.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for that clarification Alan. Obviously, we don't have the same traffic issues in Tasmania as you do in England, so if that is the main benefit I might not worry then. We will be taking her for a run on the mainland later in the year, but will mainly be outside of the busy Melbourne CBD.  :goodjob:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Reckon it would be good for the lower end cars without GPS etc and not so cool for cars with GPS pre installed.

Could you use a double adaptor so you can listen to your usb mix tape and run android auto at the same tume?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Reckon it would be good for the lower end cars without GPS etc and not so cool for cars with GPS pre installed.

Could you use a double adaptor so you can listen to your usb mix tape and run android auto at the same tume?

I actually have a 2 into one USB adapter cable!  :Shocked: I got it for the simulator, but it wouldn't work for that.

Might try it in the car though! Thanks for the idea. @beerman

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I doubt that will run two devices at the same time, more like try to charge two devices, maybe. :confused:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I actually have a 2 into one USB adapter cable!  :Shocked: I got it for the simulator, but it wouldn't work for that.

My cable is actually the opposite of this one 2 x male into 1 x female.  :fum: (typical)  :head_knock:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

My cable is actually the opposite of this one 2 x male into 1 x female.  :fum: (typical)  :head_knock:

Isn't that the norm, or has my internet surfing led me astray  :whistler:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Gee I could create a whole new thread about that scenario but I better not!  :evil: :whistler:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Gee I could create a whole new thread about that scenario but I better not!  :evil: :whistler:
Aw gee, Dazz, I wonder why! :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Daz78

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
I am in a unique position with this topic so can offer a perspective on both.

My wife uses Apple Play in her new Tucson and I use Android Auto in my I30 SR.

As expected from Apple (in the Tucson), there is limited customisation and you are locked to what you can/can't do. However, it works well. The phone must be connected via a USB cord the same as Android Auto (surely Bluetooth connectivity could provide a similar link?). We have a family Spotify account and it allows you to download music to your phone and play it without using data to stream it. It works as you would expect from Apple. It allows her to listen to SMS' and reply to them without touching her phone. Can make calls via voice commands (pretty standard these days) and enables the use of Maps (not Google maps, unfortunately) in a vehicle that didn't get sat nav standard.

Android Auto (in the I30) has given me a few OCD moment. If something doesn't work as intended I tend to put blinkers on and focus on it until I have solved whatever the issue is. More than one occasion I have had Spotify not work via Android Auto which has led to hours scouring the internet looking for fixes. App reinstalls and cache deletions. When it works it's quite good. I like that the album art displays in the background and the touchscreen buttons are large enough so you aren't accidentally hitting the wrong one. Aside from Spotify, the app works well. It does lock your phone down making it useless to use directly (which can only be a good thing really). Using my voice it's called the people I wanted it to call (my lancer always got confused and asked me to ring half my phonebook). Google maps is quite good with the live traffic info (I haven't really had a good look at the standard I30 sat nav yet). I think as time goes on the Android Auto will open up and allow more functionality with it being more open to that kind of thing compared to Apple.

They are both new features available and the associated teething issues are to be expected.
  • 2017 PD SR 1.6T DCT Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome Daz :D

Thanks for that. Can you just have music on your phone and play that through android auto? I've got 30gb of music on my NAS drive.

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Yes you can Daz!

Save all your music on you phone, then download Google Music. You can then play all your saved music on your phone through Android Auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes you can Daz!

Save all your music on you phone, then download Google Music. You can then play all your saved music on your phone through Android Auto

Cheers Dean.  :victory:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ok, so I apologise to Android Auto! Just had a bit more of a play, and it is fairly versatile!

Still think it's a shame you have to plug it in instead of using bluetooth, and it is fussy with cables. I have a nice short USB to Micro USB (about 25cm long) I would prefer to use, but it doesn't like that one.

Voice address search is great and phone call/music selection is more like I'm used to.  :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So a bit more on Android Auto. I think the other reason I was a bit negative about it was my past experience with voice recognition technology. I remember the days of "Dragon speaking" and I'm not talking about my first M.I.L. ....

When it first came out it had a woeful accuracy rating and so I never really embraced the whole talking to your computer or phone thing.

After persevering and having a good play with Android Auto over the last couple of days it is a revelation!

For those old fogies like me who prefer typing information into their phones and computers the accuracy of voice recognition has come such a long way!

I think I have tried all the main functions of Android Auto (feel free to enlighten me if there are other useful features) and this is how it worked for me.

The first one is pretty obvious... Phone calls. With my Calais I had to wait quite a while sometimes for the phonebook to download and then sometimes the system had trouble recognizing my selection.

90% of my tested cals so far have worked first time or at the worst she has come back with a number of choices to select from.  :goodjob: It was also great to be able to verbally ring someone that isn't even in your phone book. I was on my way to Ulverstone the other day wondering if my favourite little hairdresser would be available... I said call NRG hair Ulverstone and instantly she said "calling NRG Hair Room Ulverstone and dialed the number (love it!)

Secondly, Navigation Guidance. Being able to say "Please navigate me to the Lighthouse Hotel in Ulverstone" or 11 Smith Street, Smithton without having to type it in the GPS is great. You do lose the school zone warnings and visual speed limit on the display that you get with the built in GPS though.

I think my favourite would be the voice initiated Text messages .. "Text Message to Trish Mobile" car says "what message do you want to send?" or something like that. So you then say " Will be home in about half and hour" and the car says something like "your message is prepared... "Will be home in half and hour" do you want to send this message? Say send or change"  :goodjob:

The other voice function i've used is "play Music" Car says OK, playing music"

Someone (Daz?) mentioned earlier about asking questions, but i havent tried that one yet!! Might try that this afternoon! :happydance:

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30
I did connect my iPhone to the SR Premium just to make sure it works.  All good, but not that many apps come up, so haven't experimented since then.

I'm a little disappointed that traffic info doesn't come up.  I've got a VW Amarok and I guess this has spoilt me a bit.  Traffic info on that is downloaded to the GPS via an FM radio frequency. 

Those with a GD might be able to confirm, but I think the Premium we had did the same thing and suggested routes around delays caused by accidents.

Bob
  • i30 PD SR Premium

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
So a bit more on Android Auto. I think the other reason I was a bit negative about it was my past experience with voice recognition technology. I remember the days of "Dragon speaking" and I'm not talking about my first M.I.L. ....

When it first came out it had a woeful accuracy rating and so I never really embraced the whole talking to your computer or phone thing.

After persevering and having a good play with Android Auto over the last couple of days it is a revelation!

For those old fogies like me who prefer typing information into their phones and computers the accuracy of voice recognition has come such a long way!

I think I have tried all the main functions of Android Auto (feel free to enlighten me if there are other useful features) and this is how it worked for me.

The first one is pretty obvious... Phone calls. With my Calais I had to wait quite a while sometimes for the phonebook to download and then sometimes the system had trouble recognizing my selection.

90% of my tested cals so far have worked first time or at the worst she has come back with a number of choices to select from.  :goodjob: It was also great to be able to verbally ring someone that isn't even in your phone book. I was on my way to Ulverstone the other day wondering if my favourite little hairdresser would be available... I said call NRG hair Ulverstone and instantly she said "calling NRG Hair Room Ulverstone and dialed the number (love it!)

Secondly, Navigation Guidance. Being able to say "Please navigate me to the Lighthouse Hotel in Ulverstone" or 11 Smith Street, Smithton without having to type it in the GPS is great. You do lose the school zone warnings and visual speed limit on the display that you get with the built in GPS though.

I think my favourite would be the voice initiated Text messages .. "Text Message to Trish Mobile" car says "what message do you want to send?" or something like that. So you then say " Will be home in about half and hour" and the car says something like "your message is prepared... "Will be home in half and hour" do you want to send this message? Say send or change"  :goodjob:

The other voice function i've used is "play Music" Car says OK, playing music"

Someone (Daz?) mentioned earlier about asking questions, but i havent tried that one yet!! Might try that this afternoon! :happydance:
Oh Dazz, I knew you would convert! It is a great system. I was the same about voice recognition, but Google have really nailed it! I can only think of a couple of times that it didn't understand what I wanted.

The cord issue is annoying, but the features are great!

Test drove the i30 SR Premium again today, very confident we'll get one in the next couple of weeks.

Very nice car to drive!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers Dean, Hard to resist when you test drive a car that is almost perfect in every way. Happened to me with most of my last 5 cars including the FD CRDi (which started it all)  :happydance:

Offline CanadianKangaroo

• 1st Gear
Do you find the android auto seems to freeze quite a bit? It usually happens when I'm sending a text message and get to the "do you want to send this message" part.
I say send it and it just sits there. Eventually it will either repeat the question or tell me it doesn't know what to do and shuts down.
It's frustrating because I use it to be hands free and safer and I find myself fiddling around trying to get it to work.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30
Was told to disappear for a while while in KMart the other day and came upon a 20cm iPhone lightning to USB cable for $8.  Just the ants pants for the i30 Apple CarPlay link.

Tested it out and works a treat.  Just the right length.

Found a few apps that work with Apple CarPlay.  We already use a few of them, namely ABC Radio and Tune-it Radio.  The ABC  Radio app is great for podcasts as they can be downloaded and played when needed.

If you do a search in iTunes for CarPlay, heaps of apps come up.

Bob
  • i30 PD SR Premium

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal