i30 Owners Club

Subwoofer for PD i30 Audio and location of Tweeters

Dazzler · 45 · 17236

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
:blubber: front right speaker started to crackle & pop on way home tonight. Volume at 23 with podcast. Seriously Hyundai I had this PD SR for 7 weeks, and been working away for 3 of them.  :crazy1:
I will be number one on Hyundai Warranty claim hotline  :phone1: at this rate in 5 years that will be 60 speakers.  :Shocked:
Maybe already time to upgrade the shit speakers to something decent like CraigB installed
if they're still using the same standard speakers as was in mine then 23 on the volume isn't good for them, 21-22 would make them reverberate on anything that had stronger or faster bass.

I'm loving the new Morels, they're obviously not the best speaker on the market but there's little if no difference in the sound quality compared to the $2200 Focal splits setup in my mates ute and I don't need an amp to run them

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
:blubber: front right speaker started to crackle & pop on way home tonight. Volume at 23 with podcast. Seriously Hyundai I had this PD SR for 7 weeks, and been working away for 3 of them.  :crazy1:
I will be number one on Hyundai Warranty claim hotline  :phone1: at this rate in 5 years that will be 60 speakers.  :Shocked:
Maybe already time to upgrade the shit speakers to something decent like CraigB installed
if they're still using the same standard speakers as was in mine then 23 on the volume isn't good for them, 21-22 would make them reverberate on anything that had stronger or faster bass.

I'm loving the new Morels, they're obviously not the best speaker on the market but there's little if no difference in the sound quality compared to the $2200 Focal splits setup in my mates ute and I don't need an amp to run them

I may need to come over for a listen to your sound system  :whistler: Are you north or south of the river, may need me passport :rofl:
I was also looking at putting similar Alpine built in amp subwoofer under front seat too,
I used to have do a lot of DIY car hifi building enclosures rear parcel shelves from MDF, crossovers, big amps, cd stackers, big chunky cables with even bigger gold fuse holders in my earlier UK years/ car audio connoisseur / teen hoon tearaway (delete applicable) probably doubled the weight of the car  :P
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I may need to come over for a listen to your sound system  :whistler: Are you north or south of the river, may need me passport :rofl:
I was also looking at putting similar Alpine built in amp subwoofer under front seat too
Hope you've got you Aussie passport  :) by all means pop around, I'm not far from Cannington.
If you want my address just send me a pm, I might even break out the good pod coffee for ya :D
I had a measure under the seat and think the bracket for the electrics might just hang a little to low for the sub without a bit of modification  :undecided: I'll have to see what you reckon  :)

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth

Although happy with the quality of the Audio in my SR (for a basic 6 speaker system) I've noticed that they mention a premium audio with 7 speakers (including a subwoofer in one side of the boot cavity) in videos for the 2018 Elantra GT Sport (same as our SR)

Be interested to know if we have the wiring and mounting for it and what the specs of the speaker are.

Not sure where to start to investigate this and whether our head unit will drive a 7th speaker.

Hi Darryl
Pulled the left rear side off the boot no spare wires for a sub visible as per US Elantra gt sport. So back to the drawing board on how to increase bass I'm afraid. No room under front seats for compact subs. I just had the stock speakers replaced with Morel 602 same as CraigB

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Although happy with the quality of the Audio in my SR (for a basic 6 speaker system) I've noticed that they mention a premium audio with 7 speakers (including a subwoofer in one side of the boot cavity) in videos for the 2018 Elantra GT Sport (same as our SR)

Be interested to know if we have the wiring and mounting for it and what the specs of the speaker are.

Not sure where to start to investigate this and whether our head unit will drive a 7th speaker.

Hi Darryl
Pulled the left rear side off the boot no spare wires for a sub visible as per US Elantra gt sport. So back to the drawing board on how to increase bass I'm afraid. No room under front seats for compact subs. I just had the stock speakers replaced with Morel 602 same as CraigB

Cheers Scott, Did the speaker upgrade make as much difference as you hoped?

Thanks for the heads up about the wiring.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
The new speakers have not impressed me so far, the highs are definitely better with female vocals but rest of the sound is bit muddled & disjointed and just wooly bass definition. Chatted to CraigB earlier and could be speakers just need running for longer time. Time will tell.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's a bugger.  I'll keep my $750 in my pocket.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Odd that they sound different to mine :confused: I'm very impressed with em in my car as you'd heard them yourself, hopefully they just need to burn in a bit longer or the equalisation between my unit and the PD aren't the same  :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I did the exercise with and without the dash mat and struggled to tell if covering the tweeters on the dash with the mat made any difference to the sound. Mind you my hearing is pretty poor in the high register these days.

If I thought there was enough difference to warrant it I would just carefully cut out the mat with a Stanley knife above the tweeters. It is fairly clearly defined in the mat by a slight indent. I don't think I would worry about sun damage to the tweeters as Hyundai obviously don't or they wouldn't have put them in that exposed position.

If I lived in a warmer location and was concerned about sun damage to the tweeters I would get some similar coloured light weight felt or other material and glue it under the mat in those two areas. 

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
I did the exercise with and without the dash mat and struggled to tell if covering the tweeters on the dash with the mat made any difference to the sound. Mind you my hearing is pretty poor in the high register these days.

If I thought there was enough difference to warrant it I would just carefully cut out the mat with a Stanley knife above the tweeters. It is fairly clearly defined in the mat by a slight indent. I don't think I would worry about sun damage to the tweeters as Hyundai obviously don't or they wouldn't have put them in that exposed position.

If I lived in a warmer location and was concerned about sun damage to the tweeters I would get some similar coloured light weight felt or other material and glue it under the mat in those two areas.

I had a hunt around on tinternet about whether dashmats prevent high frequency signals, and the general WWW consensus is they are designed to allow higher frequencies through. having said that my house stereo always sounds better & more open with speaker grills off  :head_knock:   

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Odd that they sound different to mine :confused: I'm very impressed with em in my car as you'd heard them yourself, hopefully they just need to burn in a bit longer or the equalisation between my unit and the PD aren't the same  :undecided:
its the bass seems rather wooly. Got Massive Attack Connected album playing on repeat which will give them pesky bass drivers a dam good workout  :whistler:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Base still should sound quite punchy even on flat EQ settings, mine had only an hour or two use before your arrival, nothing over 22-25 for the first 30 hours.

If unimpressed with their performance so far there could be a problem with a speaker, not unheard of for an installer to damage one during installation  :undecided:

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Base still should sound quite punchy even on flat EQ settings, mine had only an hour or two use before your arrival, nothing over 22-25 for the first 30 hours.

If unimpressed with their performance so far there could be a problem with a speaker, not unheard of for an installer to damage one during installation  :undecided:

Found out the issue with the lack of bass with my Morrell speakers. Alberts have connected up LHF & LHR speakers out of phase. $775 and I may as well have done it myself. They did add MDF spacers but screw spacing is bit average & loose. Since changing polarity much much better sound. Should have gone to the car audio dealer in  Cannington 

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Found out the issue with the lack of bass with my Morrell speakers. Alberts have connected up LHF & LHR speakers out of phase. $775 and I may as well have done it myself. They did add MDF spacers but screw spacing is bit average & loose. Since changing polarity much much better sound. Should have gone to the car audio dealer in  Cannington
Did you take it back to them to rectify? I would have, they bloody stuffed it :disapp: I did wonder whether they might have botched something in the install as mine were excellent.

Great that you've solved it though and you can finally enjoy some decent tunes :happydance:

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
No I didn't take it back as been working away so much before Xmas was hoping they would burn in and sound better.  :head_butt:
As I was installed a sub woofer in boot I needed to trace rear door speaker wiring and that's when I saw the quality of the workmanship & wondered if they cocked up. They kept existing Hyundai speaker plugs and stripped and soldered new speaker cable just before plug. However positive on plug was feeding Morrell negative terminal. So checked the front doors too and the right side correct, left side not. I don't think Hyundai from left to right side of car would need handed speakers  :crazy1:
Anyway sounds al good now :victory:ii
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 03:36:09 by Crustycottage »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal