i30 Owners Club

Hello from Sunny Qld Australia :)

IDVRI · 20 · 7014

Offline IDVRI

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi All, I'm Jules... a dumpster diving granny from sunny Brisbane, Qld AUSTRALIA

I am in the process of trying to find an i30 auto wagon, to replace my 2000 Lantra Sportswagon. I viewed a 2011 i30 CW SX Petrol Auto in electric Blue at a Northside dealer today... I had test driven an i30 there last week which drove beautifully but didn't really like the colour (light blue/greyish colour) but then they got this one in which I really like the look of. The electric blue really pops!

Sadly, on driving it today, it ran rough as guts and the engine light was on the whole time, there was a lot of vapor and fluid spurting and dripping from the exhaust and it was very smelly. The car has done nearly 90,000 klm.

On questioning the dealer about the rough running and engine light he said it hadn't been sent for roadworthy yet and was also due for a service, which they would get done, and would offer a 3 month warranty so if there were "any issues" I could bring it back. Sounds like a bit of a fob off to me.

Considering how well the previous i30 ran (with slightly lower klms) and how crap this was running I'm concerned there may be something drastically wrong with it? I don't really know anything about cars, the friend who was with me during the test drive said something about the idle was off and it probably needed a new timing belt and a tuneup.

What would make lots of wet smoke/vapour and fluid come out of the exhaust?

Any advice whether this issue would be fixed with a service or should I not touch this with a barge pole? Finding it very difficult to find many i30 auto wagons with 2.0 lt petrol engine here in Brisbane and this one is SOOOO pretty :(

• 2011 i30 5 Door Wagon, Petrol 2.0 lt, Auto, Blue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
 :wttc: IDVRI

The second vehicle doesn't sound like something I'd bother with, dealer shouldn't even be letting it be driven until the problems are fixed.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 12:18:15 by CraigB »

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30
Agree with the previous comment.   Buyer be ware.

Are you a member of thwRACQ?  If you are, no matter which vehicle you decide on, get them to go over the vehicle for you to pinpoint any issues.

Bob
  • i30 PD SR Premium

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Welcome also from Sunny Qld.
My advice on te secoond vehicle is to walk away now.
There are two issues.
Firstly it shouldn't run like that and is almost certainly not an easy or cheap fix.
Secondly the dealer is not worth having anything more to do with. As Crig said, allowing it on te lot I  that condition is a good indication of their (lack of) professionalism.
It might take a while but keep looking.

And yes. The blue is very nice.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline IDVRI

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The dealer said it had only just come onto the lot a couple of days ago and they had not yet had a chance to get the roadworthy or anything else done. It had been traded in on a new MG (it's an MG dealership) and had not even been detailed yet. He only let me know about it as I'd been in there last week to try the first, light blue, Hyundai i30 Wagon. That light blue wagon I drove last week was away today getting it's roadworthy and cosmetic repairs done, so they seem to be a bit slow on turnaround for their used vehicles at least. All their new MG's are lovely but they don't make a small wagon version in auto :(

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
As Crig said
@Surferdude Doesn't really have the same ring to it :lol:
Sorry. Typing while say the footy.  :crazy1:
You can call me Trv.  :mrgreen:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :welcome: Jules.

Yes, I'd keep looking. Even if it drove well next week, would you sleep well?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Sounds to me like he is more than likley going to wholesale it, but thought he might be able to turn a profit by selling it to you...

If the original owner traded it on a MG, there must be something wrong with it, because MGs are rubbish.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
There are a number on there that look worthy of a look.

The white one on the Gold Coast with 41k would be worth a look if you can get them down to your price level, which is worth the effort. A female friend of mine got a ute advertised at 25k down to 18,300 just by sending messages from different accounts offering around the same amount, and not putting up with dealer BS.

Offline IDVRI

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Already looked at that white one on the GC and not impressed at all. Lots of cosmetic damage, low tread on tyres, rip/burn mark in drivers seat... was pretty yuck considering it had already been detailed for sale. Considering low mileage it had been pretty beaten up :(

Offline IDVRI

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Have since paid for Revs report on both his light and vivid blue i30's and found they were BOTH purchased at auction through Manheim, and re-registered by dealer, NOT traded in on an MG as previously told. The vivid blue comes up as an ex-Sydney-Rental-Car and they have also apparently lost the logbook for it, but then offered to do the 90'000klm service and replace timing belt for me at their own cost in order to gain my sale. I have not agreed as yet. Is this standard dealer practice... to just bullshit about where the car came from and then offer to get servicing and stuff done to get the sale or is this an indication that it is a bad choice? Checking with Hyundai Australia about recalls shows that it had both the brake pedal thingy and battery terminal cable replaced under recall, and was not part of the ESC module recall. All this talking with different dealers is doing my head in, they seem to all be full of amazing stories about how well their cars were treated and being hand selected and offering warranties blah blah blah... just want to find a car that's been treated decently, serviced regularly and had everything replaced under recall if necessary. Proving very difficult! :(

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Usually rental cars have a very hard life. My own personal preference would be to give it a miss. Loss of log book and no history of servicing is a worry. Could cost a lot of money and heartache in the long term. Definitely get a Racq report on it if you decide otherwise.   :undecided:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline IDVRI

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks, you're probably right. Still searching for the right car...

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I wouldn't discount x rental full stop, I find I actually drive them more carefully due to the massive excess should I make a mistake.

The risks re them being flogged are just as real in a company car, or Mum and Dads second car that gets given to their Son to drive around neither of which you will identify.

No logbooks are a killer. It is very easy to manipulate the odo on a vehicle to show a lower reading and if you were to sell it, the next buyer will think the same.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Beerman is right.
Buying a second hand car can be a lottery.  But we bought an ex hire car Corolla beore we left Sydney. Had it for 10 years and had no problems at all. When we traded ii in with a Toyota dealer they not only complimented us on its condition but esold it through their own lot. A most unusual hing for a new car dealer to do with a 12 year old car.
If you can wait a while, the right car will turn up.

Offline IDVRI

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Think the right car may have turned up. Just test drove a vivid blue i30 wagon today, at Tamborine. Private seller, same owner from start, full log books, timing and all other belts just done at the 90'000 service and considering they hadn't cleaned or detailed the car for sale it looks pretty good for something that's been driven around pretty regularly.
RACQ inspection booked for tomorrow morning so fingers crossed it comes out good
Thanks everyone, for your advice.
Much appreciated :)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Sounds promising. Best of luck, Jules. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts