i30 Owners Club

The new 13 pin towing plug.

ABSi30 · 12 · 3230

Offline ABSi30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      The great Co. Durham.
Help required please regarding the new 13 pin towing plug and the original 7 pin 12 n plug. The cattle trailer has the new 13 pin plug fitted from new. The towing pick up has the 7 pin socket fitted. These fit together with an adapter reducing the 13 to 7 but is always playing up. Has anyone taken off the 13 pin and fitted the 7 pin in place to match the towing vehicle. I have had a look at each plugs paperwork and the colours are the same for trailer lights on both. Just wondering if anyone has done this before I start. Thanks.  :crazy1: :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2011 Comfort. 5door diesel 1.6 CRDi auto White.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
If 13 goes into 7 and works (sometimes) it wont be a rocket science operation to replace the large plug. Just swap the wires red to red etc. etc.

Not sure what "always playing up" refers to, but assume it does work. The extra pins may be for your electric brakes?
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline ABSi30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      The great Co. Durham.
Thanks for reply. Playing up means that sometimes it works by twisting the plug in the socket to make contact. I think it is the adapter part that is not a good fit. In the 13 pin they have used only the wires that operate the trailer lights. 7 wires. I will have to put on the 7 pin plug which goes directly into the pick up. If it was on a caravan the remaining 6 pins would do the fridge battery charging etc. So why fit to a cattle trailer.
Why do they change these things when the old system worked perfect. Thanks again.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Sales marketing .
Start something different,  stop the current,  and then all must by new and you have increased your sales of product.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sales marketing .
Start something different,  stop the current,  and then all must by new and you have increased your sales of product.

Yes, so true Mick.  :head_butt:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30
The 13 pin round  is commonly called a Euro socket/plug.  It's easy to find the pin assignment through a Google search.  VW vehicles use the Euro standard with a short adapter fitted for Australian cars permanently fitted to the vehicle.  On our Amarok, I've removed the short adapter and fitted 13 pin plugs to the trailer and caravan.  I've kept an adapter just in case I need to tow another trailer.  The 13 pin is a great system.  Just like any trailer plug system, if you have a loose or poor connection, you'll experience issues.

There are a number of interesting pin assignments. These include a separate link for left and right clearance lights (often linked together in the adapter with diodes to prevent feedback to the tow vehicle), provision for fog light circuits and reversing lights, a spare pin (I've used one for electric brakes) and auxiliary power (rated for 50 amps) plus a fridge power pin. 

• i30 PD SR Premium

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks for reply. Playing up means that sometimes it works by twisting the plug in the socket to make contact. I think it is the adapter part that is not a good fit. In the 13 pin they have used only the wires that operate the trailer lights. 7 wires. I will have to put on the 7 pin plug which goes directly into the pick up. If it was on a caravan the remaining 6 pins would do the fridge battery charging etc. So why fit to a cattle trailer.
Why do they change these things when the old system worked perfect. Thanks again.

All good mate. Just grab the plug that suits your car and swap over. Just make sure that you get the earth wire correct or you could blow a fuse.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Just fit the plug type that suits your need.

I have the 13 pin on my car. When I bought the caravan it was fitted with the 7 pin, but I just changed it to the 13 pin in order to have those extra options with fridge and so on.

I do use an adapter 13/7 when towing my trailer, as I haven't yet changed that plug/socket..  :mrgreen:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

guest9517
I can only recommend the 13-pin socket. Has had many connectiontrouble with caravans & trailers on 7-pin, but since changing to 13 pin 2 years ago everything works every time & plugs are positivly locked to eachother while connected (twist-plug)

Has just bought: Split charger  for switched/permanent power to fridge & so on, as i will be mounting a new towbar on mine this weekend (if the danish "summer"-weather permits..)

P.S. Asterix...Biltema got cheap 13-pin plugs in quite good quality ;)

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

A 13 pin plug requires twisting in order to lock it into the socket or adapter socket.

The 13 pin system is a vast improvement on the old 7 pin type and is now the European norm.  It is far better to change the tow vehicle to 13 pin than to use an adapter.

Edit;  The inner part of a 13 pin plug can be mis-aligned if not inserted correctly. The Menber brand provides a green coloured cap that be used as a parking point for the plug when not in use and as a tool to re-align the inner part if necessary.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 17:09:34 by baroudeur »

Offline ABSi30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      The great Co. Durham.
Many thanks for all replies. The 7 pin is going onto the trailer as the 13 pin carries wires for the fridge etc. The cattle and sheep don't quiet know how to work the fridge part. As said things get changed which leaves you in limbo between the old and the new. Thanks again.

:goodjob2: :goodjob:

guest9517
If nothing were ever changed, the vikings would still rule  :lol:

As said, the 13-pin is a vast improvement against the (almost) WW1 style 7-pole where you dont see bad connections anywhere near what the 7-pin brings...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal